Rice Wraps - where to buy?

The ones you find at the Korean BBQ places like Park’s BBQ and Kang Ho Dong. We’ve tried 2 brands from H-Mart and AR Mart. They were truly awful.

Does anybody make these fresh that can be purchased?

I’m making the Majordomo plate ribs for Easter inspired by @attran99

4 Likes

Paging @hppzz, @Ns1, @A5KOBE, and @JeetKuneBao. I don’t know the answer to this one.

0 Likes

I don’t either. I buy them from little korean stores or from “Angus Meat Market” in Valencia. They “do the job” but it’s all terrible compared to the real stuff I get from Oo-kook, et al.

Easier to just do lettuce wraps IMO.

1 Like

Will have those as well but there are a lot of people who love the rice wraps. Will do more research with the Korean elders. But it’s like pulling teeth.

0 Likes

well if you find out, report back. After the cost of buying all these individual components, I find it easier to just go out to eat kbbq sometimes.

2 Likes

I’ve always skipped the rice wraps in lieu of butter lettuce and perilla leaves because I love the flavor. I’ll provide rice or vermicelli noodles for folks who need the carbs.

2 Likes

Maybe try asking Park’s BBQ Butcher Shop (located right next door) if you can buy some from them.

2 Likes

We never use them either. We like to wrap in the large thinly sliced daikons that is slightly pickled.

0 Likes

My understanding is that the rice wraps are adapted from Vietnamese food. Maybe try using spring roll wraps from a Vietnamese / Chinese grocer?

0 Likes

Spring roll/dry rice paper sheets are not the same thing. OP was inquiring about fresh rice noodle/wrappers.

0 Likes

Oh, right. Actually, I’m thinking of these rolled up fresh rice noodle sheets that I see in styrofoam trays. I actually don’t know what they’re for. They kind of remind me of the sheets used for cheong fun dim sim. They might be a bit softer than the dduk bossam squares.

0 Likes

You’re asking for banh cuon sheets. You need lower quality ones because the higher quality ones are thinner.

0 Likes

Check Choice Meat Market on the SW corner of Olympic and 3rd. They sometimes carry wollamsam in their refrigerated section.

0 Likes

Ah you’re a genius. There is a place in the OC called Prime Meat Market - they have one in Buena Park and one in Irvine owned by sisters. Based off Yelp pics Prime and Choice look very similar. I think I may have seen dduk bo ssam before.
Prime > Choice (in this case based solely on location)

0 Likes

at ranch 99 i’ve purchased rice roll thickness sheets which, if one cut them into quarters, would be about approximately the same size…

0 Likes

Western & Third? There’s also one at SW corner of Olympic & Vermont.

0 Likes

2 Likes

Interesting. I’ve only ever used round ones.

0 Likes

Wow TIL. Never seen this product before and don’t even know what VN people use it for

0 Likes

i tried them once and wrapped my own rice rolls, mainly with scrambled egg and dark soy sauce if i’d had shrimo i would have used them as well. or maybe scallops. they were a bit of a pain to wrap.

0 Likes