RIP MORINOYA (Sawtelle)

Here’s the word on Red Rock opening on Sawtelle: Red Rock Brings Japanese Roast Beef Bowls to Sawtelle Next - Eater LA

1 Like

Soft Opening is this week.

Um, let’s just say I hope the food gets more refined after its Grand Opening.

Oh, and if you see that they’re all out of black paint the next time you go to Home Depot, know that they used it all for the Red Rock build-out…

Well I friggin loved RedRock. Got the Kobe Beef Don with egg. It came with a tasty salad and bowl of broth to start. The bowl itself was outstanding, with beef that melted in my mouth and two different sauces that both complimented the dish beautifully.

I was a little worried about the all-black decor – it sounded like when Dwight painted Michael’s office black on The Office. But it didn’t feel cramped at all, and the jazz and lighting gave the place an almost romantic feel. I would totally bring a date here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7u3b5tH8SsGhgiqy6

2 Likes

Red Rock’s hamburg is $26? Omu-rice with pork cutlet is $19. That must be some seriously high quality meat, because I always thought of those things as diner food, not particularly upscale.

Then again, Italian restaurants all over town serve butter noodles with pepper and Parmesan for some pretty outrageous prices, so who knows.

1 Like

The beef served at the Red Rock in Torrance was pretty darned good. But we were there (I think) last summer.

1 Like

The beef I was served had gristle. The sauce was one-dimensional. The rice was room temp bordering on cool. No egg. The clear broth was just another “beef dish”, with globules of fat floating, offering no counterpoint or meaningful accompaniment to the gyu-don.

I don’t want to say too much because they are still soft opening, and hopefully the cooking will sort itself out. But this was not a good soft open visit, and I personally would wait a bit before trying the Sawtelle Red Rock location again.

Ew! No gristle here thankfully. Like I said, it melted in my mouth.

Which one? The donburi sauce or the yogurt?

I ordered the egg separately. And I enjoyed the beefy essence of the broth myself. That and the salad were simple but tasty imo.

Man, it sounds like we had radically different experiences.