Roast beets - crazy good and simple

After a summer of wonderful vegetables I’ve struggled with ‘embracing’ winter ones. So I had a beet that I wanted to roast. This couldn’t have been simpler and it was - for me anyway - jaw-dropplingly GREAT.

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Wash the beets and use a vegetable scrubber to wash the outside. …
  3. Drizzle the olive oil over the sliced beets and then toss to combine. …
  4. Roast in the hot oven until the beets are fork tender, 10-15 minutes.

Oct 27, 2017

[

Simple Easy Roasted Beets Recipe | Bless This Mess Please

](https://www.blessthismessplease.com/simple-roasted-beets/)

Great idea! I’ve only roasted them whole–which is good, but takes a long time and heats up the kitchen. I love the idea of slicing them first! I recently boiled up a batch, gave them a quick pickle in seasoned rice wine vinegar, then mixed them with plain Greek yohgurt and sour cream, spiked with dill. A nice warm weather side-dish.

I had only roasted them in large ‘chunks.’ We had two slices left that I ate at room temp. Honestly just as good. Such a surprise.

May have to try this! Was going to plants beets in my garden today but ash is falling from the sky. But love beets! and onions!

Oh boy, these fires are something, aren’t they? I read that Cal Fire said there is no longer a “fire season.”

I gotta go back to WF; my ‘regular’ grocery didn’t have much that looked appealing. If you plant them now, when will you harvest?

This thread inspired me to make borsht. I have to first start with the meat stock. Will be shopping tomorrow.

Embarrassed to say that I’ve never had it. This should be a good season to do it. Do you have a recipe that you favor? TIA

I am using a variation of Katias recipe from SF gate out of the Chronicle. I lost a recipe from the Chronicle about 20 yrs ago . It’s been my white whale . I’ll tweak this recipe using the beets green s like the only time I met my Lithuanian grandmother back east and cooked borsht. She spoke no English but the memories live on forever.

I’ve never paid attention to how long it takes from planting to harvesting! I will note this time. Doing a lot more this year from seeds. Normally, I buy my seedlings but not this year.