Rossoblu DTLA

Too loud, tables too close together. The kind of place where you struggle to hear the person across the table and eventually give up. It doesn’t matter what the food tastes like. (That said, it was decent but unexceptional.) It’s a bad experience and I hope they go out of business. No need for this when we have legit Italian restaurants downtown where you can have a fine, civilized dinner (e.g., Officine Brera and Drago Centro).

You hope they go out of business?? That’s a but harsh isn’t it? Its unfortunate you didn’t enjoy the ambiance but a restaurant is dozens of people’s livelihoods!

4 Likes

good happy hour and cocktails had pre-dinner… my spritz was perfect.
734D7CC9-F5B4-424B-BA72-CCF4B3327505

Our byobs… buy one bring one in effect

nice coldcuts… prosciutto stood out as did the very mild hedcheese… all 4 very solid… whipped tallow is crazy… dug it… and butter was out of this world

I’m a big sucker for tarts with veg… this chard one didnt’ disappoint

CB0985E0-072C-4020-92A3-6FF501E97158

this lambrusco was killer…everyone agreed

nice meatballs… just like the ones you’ll make at home… aka not worth 3, 4$ each

wall piece is excellent

i’m armenian therefore an eggplant fiend, i thought this was very interesting… a light understated dish that i’m not sure how it is done. this was good imo but most will think it’s too mildflavored

the risotto they have currently is a tough call for me but i think i wouldn’t order again… the execution (texture, creaminess) was right on… chantrelles are favorite mushrooms… and i’m obsessed with corn… but the combination of the two isn’t for me… corn too strong too sweet for the mushroom

tortellini in broth are the reason one goes to restaurants from this region and their are quite nice, maybe could use more mortadella and prosciutto in the mix but lovely texture, great broth definitely has bone… as i was taught around modena though if you fit 5 per spoon, then it’s cappelletti not tortellini, but hey… it’s just nomenclature or maybe a regional difference

the cheesecloth boiled cheese dumplings in same broth are unnecessary as I suspected… it’s good, in a simple home food way but they’re getting by on the novelty of the bag and it’s just not enough of a thing for me

beans are nice, just like the ones you can make at home, though big white beans are hard to find

orata was very good, everyone at the table dug it… cheek was lovely

milk braised pork i guess was my favorite dish… milk helped it break down nice nice, very good flavors overall, quite tender, not too salty… really needs a better side though, just comes on some wilted cabbage… as we weren’t going for the huge steak this was necessary as something to drink our red wine with lol.

quite funny that half the menus had the ribeye listed as 70 day dry aged and the other half as 70 oz…

had to be a dick for a second
B3FF260D-D7C3-46A3-87B7-D2FAF20971A0

overall i thought it was good to very good… not great… but way better than i thought it would be after reading this thread… obviously they figured out some of their issues at the onset half a year ago… wouldn’t mind a couple of bites of the pig i suppose but not really craving to go back yet.

8 Likes

Enlightening!
Wonder if they will respond to you…
Great report.

the technique to make them that small is so superb they call them by a different name, ‘cappelletti’- little hats (as in white hats that nuns wear)… but this was all around Reggio Emilia area… i’m not actually sure that it’s a rule everywhere

here’s how they looked there in Scandiano

4 Likes

Hey, you were merely stating a fact.

1 Like

That eggplant dish looks like melanzane sott’olio a crudo aka melanzane crudo a sott’olio.

1 Like

Yes, it’s harsh, but they shouldn’t have put the tables so close together. Too many restaurants are packing the tables too closely and it ruins the dining experience. I hope they go out of business so that restaurants in the future treat the diners with respect.

I’ve been to many great restaurants in France that have tables close together. Per se that’s not a problem.

1 Like

Whatever you do, don’t order the braised pork shoulder.

It’s like Chinese pork floss cereal.

1 Like

Ewwww. Good thing I already ate my pork floss bun before reading this!

1 Like

Braised pork shoulder should be falling off the bone, but if it’s falling into strings, I’d say it was overcooked.

The milk should be reduced to a sort of ragu-like sauce.

1 Like

went here recently for brunch. seems like they’re figuring things out still. the space is even more beautiful during the daytime with the sunlight filtering in. service was very friendly (Hans one of the co-owners/managers was particularly gracious), however they were severely understaffed, which led to some painful waits, especially at the beginning.

I think one of the best parts of the experience is still the bar program.

Bee’s kiss (creamy cocktail, excellent, per our waiter a riff on horchata). Lambrusco spritz (just OK – would rather get an aperol spritz).

Coffee cocktail, also excellent. Paper straw, not metal, which was surprising and somewhat wasteful though better than plastic, I suppose.

They have an interesting lambrusco list.
No pics of the food, but in general we were nonplussed by the selection. No pastas or larger proteins on the brunch menu, but some concessions to the LA food scene (e.g., the obligatory grain bowl), a burger and an egg sandwich with sausage, and a few eggy dishes including a bolognese-sauced frittata, which were adequate if not memorable. Our group’s favorite was the pork belly, which was grilled on their fire and was marvelous, porky and tasting of sweet honey and charcoal smoke.

I’d go back for dinner, since I still think their pastas/proteins are the most distinctive aspect of the restaurant dining experience.

4 Likes

Ouch.

5ACBAC5D-A9F6-41A3-9158-E551E181B0BE

5 Likes

I never understood why restaurants don’t just up their menu price by 4% which is negligible to most diners?

6 Likes

:joy: RIP

4 Likes

Warrior:our last meal here was our best to date. The eggplant has been a classic for years (though years ago they had an inferior version with more tomato sauce). The asparagus risotto was fantastic: beautiful green vegetable broth with perfect parmigiano contrast. Love the al dente rice. We have had the fish with olive pesto several times, but it has never tasted so fresh. The snap peas were perfect because they were not over-cooked or over-seasoned. (The cheese is a mild ricotta.) The only dish I didn’t really like was the peach salad. The combination of peaches, bitter greens, and apricot dressing was not appealing to me.

Peony: Really enjoyed the meal this time. The flavor balance for all the dishes was spot on. I particularly like how the delicate flavors of each dish came through. We previously had the experience that one or two dishes of the whole meal was not at the same level as the other dishes. This time all the dishes were consistently executed well. I recommend trying all of them!

They don’t let us post more than one photo so we make collages.

7 Likes

Just figure out what percent to tip, and reduce it by the 3-4% of the surcharge.