Sake Talk Anyone?

Very good question, and although I’ve casually asked around, I don’t know the answer…but for sure some laws/rules are being broken. Maybe it boils down to the government not getting its cut of the license fees/taxes for importation? Though who will enforce this? It will take someone in the industry who is knowledgeable, if not geeks like us, to ID the offending (rare and delicious) bottles., but we would be doing it to ID for fun and to drink in gleeful secrecy if the offenders are well kept, fresh batch, and reasonable! The average customer probably couldn’t tell or give a smell if it were Aramasa or Asahiyama.

1 Like

@Starchtrade some photos, sorry for the mostly poorly shot ones, fairly dark inside for some strange reason.

EHH people

Heaven Sake (Junmai Ginjo, partner with Urakasumi)

Aiwasa san of Takenotsuyu

Yuki Megami rice Hakuro Suishu Junmai Daiginjo (likely Genshu)

Sequoia Sake featuring white and red wine barrel aged brews

Den Sake Brewery (Oakland) batch #2, good shit!!!

My main man of Den, Toji and President/owner Yoshihiro Sako and his fiancee/partner Keiko Lani Pederson

Otokoyama’s director (Hokkaido)

The guy from Rokkasen

6 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/BonAgnoBwyB/?hl=en

2 Likes

Damn! I so wish I didn’t see this. We’re trying to be good. But my favorite restaurant serving my newest passion from a “legendary” brewery? Oh come on!

1 Like

And I bet your new pal Kerry is behind the Animal event.
Kamoizumi is in his (World Sake) portfolio.

Also, tonight @ Shibumi:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BohgJuQhQnI/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

2 Likes

Personally, I would choose the Shibumi event because of Chef David’s chinmi.

There’s a whole topic devoted to the search for good chinmi in NYC. David’s chinmi is excellent.

2 Likes

Damn, damn, damn!

I called Animal and left a message. :crossed_fingers: I must have accidentally stopped following them.

Yeah, I’ve been wanting to go. We were living in DTLA for a few months and it was on my Before We Leave list. Not that it’s far now, we just haven’t made it. With that said, my husband & I have a sentimental attachment to Animal, so… and it’s local. :relaxed:

Yup me too, if I were in town I would gladly go for the Shibumi event.

Particularly I would be interested in how the 10 year koshu Sachi (supposed this is East Coast and UK only but if this is offered it’s a huge plus) and the 2 year aged single pasteurized nama (Red Maple) goes with the apps / chinmi that he seems to do well in, if not dessert. We have very few Hiroshima sake exported to the US, and this is a brewery worth exploring more. My friend in Japan was just in the Saijo area recently and visited both Kamotsuru and Kamoizumi. Kamoizumi’s “umelicious” is quite good too for an exported umeshu sake.

Not a big fan of the Fu Manchu / Kamakaze style font for the Animal event poster (lol).

Oh @Starchtrade, where was the reply to Sake Day 2018 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @beefnoguy -

Based on your & @Starchtrade’s recommendation we would definitely rearrange things - if we had more notice. My husband is patching tonight. :computer: And I’m making pork chops. :slight_smile:

Oh well…

1 Like

Never been to Animal, but if their focus is on meat galore then a few of those sake would work great, particularly 3 dots Junmai Ginjo which is built for grilled stuff and probably the most versatile of the lot.

The aged sakes might be fun with smoked meats / charcuterie perhaps to some extent (and of course should be paired with the right cheese and some grain mustard somewhere or pickled vegetables would be good).

But if you only had one to pick, I too would go for Shibumi. Of course reach out to Kerry and see exactly what is being poured if he’s hosting those events.

2 Likes

Oh yumm.

Yah, maybe I’m discounting Animal, but based on this conversation it seems Shibumi might be the superior event and for only $5 more. But it’s a no-can-do tonight.

Good advice. I was thinking to reach out to Kerry.

Thanks!

2 Likes

It’s possible at Animal you’re getting a tasting menu set to pair with the Kamoizumi pours.

Or if you can pick and choose a la carte, that would be a bit more fun. But I’m sure it will be fun either way.

I would also try the aged sakes with the foie gras based dishes if that’s an option to see how they work (depending on the profile, they make work far better than a Sauternes since sometimes that wine rot is a bit too strong as nice as it can be). Maybe a few drops of the umeshu on ice cream (vanilla works best), or the Kochi 10 year aged koshu with some of the lighter flavored desserts. Shusen Junmai Ginjo would probably work with the rest of the menu. The Kochi 10 year aged sake would also be great with braised beef cheeks if that’s available.

At least with Shibumi, they carry a wider variety of eclectic sake and you can order additional by the glass or find comparable Kamoizumi from the tasting to do side by side, that is if the event doesn’t forbid you from ordering non Kamoizumi.

2 Likes

I love Shusen. It is a great example of how earthy, mushroomy, and yes umami (sigh) sake can be.
Hiroshima sake has a reputation for these characteristics.

From World Sake’s website (https://www.worldsake.com/portfolio.asp?Action=GetDetails&LabelID=30)

Description

A wild card in the sake deck, Kamoizumi has a woodsy, forest-floor aroma of fall leaves and mushrooms. There is a lot to explore in this big-boned sake, served either cool or warm.

Serving Recommendations

First choice for duck or foie gras, this big-boned sake pairs well with dishes using mushrooms and winter vegetables. Especially delicious served warm at 105 degrees.

Awards

Gold Award, Junmai category, 2015 U.S. National Sake Appraisal

2 Likes

These are great morsels of advice guys!

I’ve been a little overwhelmed by all this knowledge coming at me. So, I’ve come up with a strategy: tick them off one-by-one, choosing a recommended Sake from this thread and pair it with the recommended foods, savor the experience, then make a few notes.

TBC…

3 Likes

Leslie san!

Very kind. Thank you for your message. The evening will be as follows:

Sashimi - Modori Katsuo (wild bonito)
with Shusen “Three Dots”-JUNMAI

Steamed Shiromi, Broth
with Nigori Ginjo “Summer Snow”-SPECIALTY

Grilled Pork Jowl, Rice, Pickles
with Red Maple “Two-Year Aged Namazake”-SPECIALTY

Matsutake (pine mushroom)
with Sachi “18-Year Aged Koshu”-SPECIALTY

Dessert
with Umeshu “Umelicious”-SPECIALTY

15% for your friends. They can reserve through me. Please feel free to share my email/mobile.

Looking forward to seeing you Friday, Leslie san!

Sincerely,
kerry

Kerry Tamura
@kanpaikerry
Southern California Sales Representative
World Sake Imports
312-404-7283

I just :heart: this guy!

3 Likes

not sure but the menu you posted above really looks like a menu from Shibumi.

Hah! I was just about to correct. Sorry, I’m multi-tasking today and didn’t read it close enough.
—————————————————————
Aaaand for animal…

Arrival
with Kome Kome “Happy Bride”

Seating
with Junmai Daiginjo “Autumn Elixir”

First
Family Style

1. Chicken Liver Toast
  2. Spicy Beef Tendon Chip
  3. Sirloin Carpaccio
  4. Rabbit Larb
    with Nigori Ginjo “Summer Snow”

Second
Individually Plated
Grilled Quail with Umeshu “Umelicious”

Third
Family Style

1. Foie Gras Loco Moco
  2. Flat Iron with Red Maple “Two-Year Aged Namagenshu”

Dessert
Family Style

1. Cheesecake Pudding
  2. Tres Leches with Shusen “Three Dots”

For clarification, the discount is for Shibumi.

Thank you Leslie san!
kerry

2 Likes

i’d pick that menu over shibumi everyday including holidays.

2 Likes

Wondering if it was a typo…

He’s pairing the grill friendly sake Junmai Ginjo Shusen with dessert, and umeshu with grilled quail (instead of the reverse)…maybe there’s something out of the box there?

Though the Red Maple with foie and flat iron is going to be a solid pairing.

Thanks for sharing!

Surprised the Shibumi menu is skipping the signature chinmi but maybe that’s only for the hardcore purist otsumami lovers amongst us. Or one could add on I suppose.

1 Like

That settles it. Why? I’ll say it again. He always eats what I would eat… except for head, eyes and slimy stuff.

1 Like