Sake Talk Anyone?

For those not aware, here’s a relatively new sake-focused podcast called Sake On Air:

In their own words:
“SAKE ON AIR is a bi-weekly exploration into the stories, people, lifestyle, and what’s really happening in the world of SAKE and SHOCHU. The show is brought to you by a team of experts based here in the Sake Homeland of Japan, working and thriving on the front lines of the industry. Together with local and international guests from a range of fields, both sake-specific and sake-curious, each week we’ll be going beyond just, “What is sake?” and instead, exploring the excitement, challenges, depth, and possibilities in, what we think, is arguably the world’s most fascinating and enjoyable pair of beverages.”

2 Likes
4 Likes

For Angelenos that want to try Den, head to Shibumi.
Supplies definitely limited. Call ahead.
They hand-carry cases down from the Oakland brewery.

2 Likes

It’s so great to see Yoshi san get the recognition he deserves and now exposure in the LA times! I’ve visited the brewery a few times and it is really amazing how he built it all from the ground up, improvised on equipment, techniques, and yet despite the size and throughput, comes out with a solid product that is as good as sake from Japan! Having tried all of the batches so far, with the exception of the early batch #5, their sake is fantastic, solid, and so much fun to have.

I’ve brought bottles of Den #3 and #4 back to Japan two months ago and shared with local sake industry and restaurant people, the positive feedback was quite tremendous!

Umami Mart in Oakland is in process of moving and sold out at the moment, but after they settle in their new location and restock, you should be able to mail order the single pasteurized version of the latest Den batch #5 (or #6 depending on when that is released)

https://umamimart.com/products/den-batch-no-4-pasteurized-sake-btl-17-oz

and yes they will be willing to ship that. Not the same as a non pasteurized nama, but it’s a taste of Den nonetheless.

On a side note, Sake Day San Francisco is on 9/28 this year. Get your tickets now!

3 Likes

I am mid-way through listening to this podcast with LA-based Kerry Tamura from World Sake. It is very good!

4 Likes

Great find and share! I’m about 3/4 of the way through and I really like Kerry’s articulation, demeanor, and the way he expresses, represents, and shares his thoughts about sake as well as his family history and background. It’s always interesting to get the perspectives of American and state side industry people, especially the reps who do more than just rep’ing.

A few side comments unrelated.

I just shared my thoughts about sake and pairing in general from observations in Japan most recent trip and to some extent what I have come across here in Northern Cailfornia

There is a 11 day long Craft Sake Fair going on in Roppongi Hills in Tokyo (will end in a few days). Every day of the event are representatives and heads of major breweries (big and small) showcasing about 3 bottles from their entire portfolio (some are seasonal, some are regular staples). 110 sake breweries nation wide representing, 10 breweries per day all spread across. I am unclear of the details but I believe it is paying for a ticket to get in, which may get you some additional ticket stubs to redeem for sake tasting. What’s more amazing about this event is that there will actually be food in the form of meal sets (on trays) from different parts of the world, and you can even ask the master brewers what they recommend what their sake should go with! There is also an interactive booth featuring a game where you can select from any flavor of kit kat, and it will recommend a sake featured in the fair to pair with it, after you answer questions asking your personal preferences/likes and dislikes.

Since you are familiar with Tatsuriki, Ryusuke Honda with around two other reps brought in Akitsu, Kimoto Tokubetsu Junmai, and the “rainbow” Dragon series Episode 3 to showcase. They will be back in Northern California in May, although I do not know if they will be traveling to Los Angeles this time.

Craft Sake Fair is hosted by Hidetoshi Nakata who was a former soccer player who created his own company to promote Japanese craft, culture, and sake. He is quite legendary now for being very successful and is seen as a big celebrity in the sake world for many reasons.

3 Likes

Looking forward to it. I didn’t listen to the other podcast referenced further up on this thread. You guys were saying there was some good stuff, but some misinformation too. I’m not experienced enough to distinguish so I passed. But I trust Kerry! Thanks!

2 Likes

Yes, he’s really enthusiastic, engaging and just an-all-around positive guy.

3 Likes

The interview with Chris Pearce on Japan Eats is great. He’s the owner of World Sake Imports; Kerry refers to him a couple times in the interview.

The few episodes of the Sake On Air podcast that I’ve listened to seem pretty unimpeachable, although I don’t pretend to be an expert. I really enjoyed episode 11.

3 Likes

I’ll check it out. Thanks!

@Chowseeker1999 @beefnoguy

Pretty good price at Hi Times today.

3 Likes

Hi @A5KOBE,

Wow thanks! Dreams Come True for only $200? Then again seeing it at restaurants around $500 (2.5x) I guess is within reason.

@beefnoguy how’s the BORN Chogin Junmai Daiginjo next to it? I’ve never seen that before. Worth the price?

A few things:

• check the bottling date before purchasing. The price was discounted for a reason, best to check why.
  • while the Hi Time wine cellar temperature is fairly low it’s not 0 degrees C or lower. I believe both sake were matured at somewhere between-5 to -8 C before release. If the bottling date is closing in on a year, hard to say how long the bottle was stored above maturation temperature and what the quality is like now, but hopefully not bad. Since it is likely not an unpasteurized sake, it should still taste somewhat ok in theory…
  • I believe Dreams Come True is polished to 35% but the bottle is 1000 mL. Chogin is somewhere around 20 to 22 without looking at the specs directly. Never had Chogin before.
  • Compare the bottling date of what restaurants get it for.

Better yet, check other sources that sell it retail, ask if they can special order a new/fresh one from the distributor for you. You may pay a bit more but at least piece of mind that it’s not a sale item. Of course if you have a friend in the industry with a wholesale account, and if you can have that person get one for you at wholesale/cost, so much the better.

4 Likes

Finally checked out new east village location of Sakagura in NYC. I prefer the menu at their midtown east location (more options for traditional drinking snacks: shuto!).

Urakasumi “Zen” Junmai Ginjo & Sohomare Tokubetsu Junmai Kimoto.
Both so good! Really really enjoyed the Sohomare with its amped up umami.

Was tempted by the Tatsuriki Junmai Daiginjo, but at close to $100 a glass, I might just save up for a bottle at retail price.

Speaking of high end sake, do any of the folks here with industry insight know if the coravin system has been successfully used to extend the shelf life of opened sake?

1 Like

great question! I’m curious as well

I would assume in principle it should work.

$630 for Tatsuriki Akitsu and $93 a glass? Ouch…

It’s about 10,000 yen retail direct for a 720 mL. Wholesale might be around the $150 to $200 mark in the US. I think I paid $310 once for it from a wine shop in California a few years back. Cheaper alternatives to Akitsu would be Kami Tojo, Kami Mikusa, Yokawa Yoneda, Kinkai, and Jingu, but none of these are cheap as well.

Hmmm Banshu Ikkon Kaede No Shizuku… I’m really curious how that one tastes as an exported version (actually more interested in how degraded it tastes as export after the handling). I think it’s East Coast only through Wine Of Japan. It’s very mellow and light (easy to drink) and I’ve had it in Japan back in February, and I’ve visited the brewery as well. Strangely Kaede No Shizuku is not available in Tokyo, only Hyogo Prefecture, if in Japan.

I’ve seen sake shops and bars use a temperature controlled storage unit with a Coravin looking system that appears to be part of the whole unit, and I suppose it’s probably ok for a few days, but it also depends on the structure of the sake. Some just don’t bode well even with all the systems in place, once exposed to oxygen and even if placed back into storage after pouring some out.

3 Likes

I actually make the Sake on Air podcast! Thanks for spreading the word about the show. If you have topics you would like to see addressed on the show, please let me know and I can pass it on.

4 Likes

Great! Welcome to FTC!

@beefnoguy thanks for the rec. I grabbed a bottle of the Born Muroka Nama Genshu and it was a nice flavor and slightly dry finish I was looking for. Definitely not as buttery as the Stella, but definitely something for richer bold foods.

I drank this with some Korean fried chicken.

I also was shopping at Wing Hop Fung and came across there higher price sake.

2 Likes