Salt & Straw - Best Ice Cream in LA

OH, MY F*CKING GOD, that would be INSANE. I can barely finish The Cookie alone, let alone 2 + ice cream. But I think I’ll try it anyways. :wink: Bwahahahaha. But not this weekend, since I plan to stuff myself w/ Northern Cafe in Westwood Village, if the wait isn’t too long. Y’all know where to find me…

BTW, I actually think the orange chicken at Panda sets the standard (random, right?)…

Hee, hee. Off-topic, but apparently McD’s is testing fresh meat (literally, I guess) at some chains in TX, I think. Will be interesting to see if it tests well…

But it still will be CAFO beef which means still horrible tasting burgers

3 Likes

Another outlet opening in Studio City :yum::tada:

Salt & Straw Studio City
12180 Ventura Blvd.
Studio City, CA

1 Like

Tried it last weekend and thought it was ok. I can see the appeal for some people, some of the flavors can be intense in a good way. But overall, I didn’t care for the lack of creaminess for the regular and the vegan ones, the texture is not to my preference for an entire scoop. On top of that, it is very pricey for small portions. An extra 50 cent surcharge for the vegetarian flavors on top of a pricey $5 scoop is onerous to me. And I’m someone who happily pays more for good not necessarily great ice cream.

I’d prefer to go to Cool Haus down the street. I like the textures and flavors there better.

1 Like

I live walking distance from Salt & Straw in Venice but I hadn’t yet managed to try the ice cream because the line always seems so long. Yesterday afternoon after another late lunch at Gjelina (lamb sausage pizza - yay), I stuck my head in and confirmed that one doesn’t need to stand in line to buy the prepackaged pints so I picked up a couple to bring to dinner at a friend’s house last night. We had chocolate gooey brownie and almond brittle with salted ganache and they were both really really good. Huge chunks of delicious brownie in the former. A couple people got bites of the latter that they found unpleasantly salty but that didn’t happen to me - I found that the two together in one bowl created the perfect mix of salty and sweet :blush: . Sweet Rose Creamery is the other fancy ice cream shop in our regular rotation, but based upon this one sampling I think I prefer Salt & Straw for both texture and flavor.

As a side note, the special flavors this month are the Fermentation Series. Maybe I just have plebeian taste in ice cream, but I wasn’t even tempted to taste any of them. Two of them - fish sauce caramel and dill pickle sorbet - sounded actively unpleasant to me. But maybe a more adventurous soul will give them a try.

3 Likes

I thought the coffee & “love nuts” was great. Not very sweet at all.

1 Like

Great story! She is really fascinating

I had the duck/cherry as well paired with the Almond brittle/salted ganash. Really really good.

1 Like

Those ice creams need wine pairings…duck…for fuck’s sake
#kevindoesnteats

1 Like

Maestro Leo Bulgarini specializes in gelato & alcohol pairings (has been doing so for years).

3 Likes

I can confirm that Leo Bulgarini does amazing pairings with wine-gelato and sour beer-granitas. He did a little tasting for me that absolutely blew my mind.

2 Likes

That flavor was wonderful!!!

1 Like

Tried the beet flavor at salt and straw in San Diego, was surprisingly good.

Don’t forget about little tokyo downtown…

I dare anyone to find a smoother, creamier soft serve than at

Tea Master Matcha cafe
450 E 2nd St
Los Angeles, CA 90012
https://www.yelp.com/biz/tea-master-matcha-cafe-and-green-tea-shop-los-angeles?osq=green+tea+ice+cream

Granted, they only have matcha soft serve but it blows away any other green tea/matcha soft serve (or any soft serve imo) due to the texture and amazingly smooth aftertaste.

Then walk down a few blocks to Mikawaya and get the black sesame ice cream.
I realize many of you have tried their mochi’s from trader joe’s which are fine but their ice cream is really flavorful, the black sesame actually has a nice roasted aftertaste and the little crunchy black sesame seeds compliment everything perfectly. Even if you’re not crazy about green tea and black sesame flavors, this is a destination worthy duo if you happen to be in the arts district/little tokyo.

Mikawaya
118 Japanese Village Plaza Mall
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Little Tokyo, Downtown
https://www.yelp.com/biz/mikawaya-los-angeles?q=black%20seaseme

Also, can we throw creamistry some love? They are one of the few liquid nitrogen ice cream chains to have survived and if you still haven’t tried it yet it’s worth a trip.

You may think it’s a gimmick and the prices are steep but it definitely doesn’t melt as quickly as regular ice cream and the texture is so creamy yet rich. Try to cookie butter with marshmallow cream with cookie dough morsels around the perimeter, to me this beats any of these gourmet ice cream places in LA in terms of sinful indulgence.

Creamistry.com

2 Likes

At Sweet Rose. My favorite flavor of all time is the Peppermint Patty that I had three years ago at Christmas time. They haven’t had it since.

Mentioned this to a Sweet Rose worker who said it’s been requested so often that the word is they’re going to have it again this December.

3 Likes

They had it!! Peppermint Patty!! Yep, I think Sweet Rose will be an almost daily stop during December!!!

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Nice! I’ve been eager to try it since you mentioned it. :slight_smile: Was this only at the OG Brentwood location?

I think it’s at all of their locations. It’s listed on their website.

1 Like