San Diego 2016 Restaurant Openings

Supposedly kitchen permitting issues is what took down Bull Taco in Del Mar. In its place we have the newly opened Mediterranean BeeSalt Balcony. Have not been yet, but stopped by after a lunch at Cafe Secret last week and the place was jammin! Food looked fresh with clean simple presentations, so hopefully will try soon.

BeeSalt Balcony

Permitting is a b*tch everywhere. It’s held up a lot of restaurants over the last year or so.

Mariscos German has opened a brick and mortar restaurant in Escondido. There is also a lonchera in front of Frys in San Marcos.

Just FYI in case anyway besides me and RISD still visit this site.

2 Likes

Still visiting…not a lot of extra time these days between work and travel…not eating out much right now and not likely to get to Escondido any time soon :frowning:

1 Like

Hey…what am I, chopped vegan liver?
:tongue:

1 Like

Both Bar One and RoVino opened up recently in Little Italy (almost simultaneously it seems).

Didn’t really seem worth mentioning as they’ll probably shutter by Xmas, if not sooner.

Pacific Standard Coastal Kitchen is open.

:thinking: https://twitter.com/SageOlson/status/766171308128219136

Thanks RD . Was in the area today and forgot to check out the lonchera in front of Fry’s . Will be back to n the area next week and will check it out then for sure.

So, I guess Nishiki Diner has the same ownership as Nishiki Ramen?

After eating at Hodad’s downtown location this past weekend, I noticed that Dog Haus is close to opening on the same block. Dog Haus is a sausage and burger joint from LA that uses Hawaiian buns/rolls instead of conventional buns and has tater tots instead of fries. Just what SD is missing, right? Anyway, we always liked them up in Pasadena, especially the biergarten which is what the SD one will be I think (can always check Eater which is where I first learned about it).

After Hodad’s, we walked down to the Embarcadero (passed Biga which I still haven’t tried) and had soft serve at Carnitas snack shack which was great. Really like that location.

1 Like

Speaking of LA imports (or is exports?) …

Probably old news, but I believe Dupar’s in the East Village did open in 2016.

Per Eater, Campfire opens Wednesday in Carlsbad. The pictures look great and the menu does as well (no burgers or short rib dishes so far). If anyone (RISD) tries it soon, please let us know.

Saw tacos el gordo is coming to the gaslamp area.

Reply withdrawn by author.

Saw this article this morning, so decided to check out Ajisen for lunch: Another Ramen Concept Dishes Up Location in Kearny Mesa - Eater San Diego

The service was in complete disarray (not unexpected) but I quite enjoyed my food. Got their house special, which is basically a tonkotsu ramen with pork three ways – chasu, ribs, and “premium”, which TBH I had a hard time figuring out exactly what it was (texturally it was like a combination of jowel and belly). The chasu was solid, but I really liked the ribs because they left the cartilage in (so, these are the part of the ribs that are cartilage instead of bone). Broth was heavy on the garlic, which I don’t mind but some people might. I didn’t get an egg but my boss did and his was cooked hard boiled. We also had scallops and they were delicious.

Will be trying again. I’m very curious about the white miso ramen, and even maybe trying their salads and what not. Hope they figure out the service though because that was a bit of a disaster.

1 Like

The interior looks quite nice in the photo on Eater. Is this in the location where Coco’s was? I’ve been to the boba place next door and recall having to park across the street and walk. Any problems parking?

Yup, it’s the previous Coco’s. And we didn’t have problem finding parking but I don’t know the general state of that parking lot.

Thanks for the review…been driving by it a lot but there weren’t even Yelp reviews. We decided not to risk it over the weekend and we to Izakaya Kanpai down near Buga/Havana Grill. Ramen was fair, service was pretty bad.

We tried to go here for lunch today, but there was a wait to be seated, and we were hungry so we didn’t stay. Parking lot was packed. All a good sign I guess (and it smelled really good inside!), so will try again during the week.