San Marzano Tomatoes: The Fake Rolex of Canned Foods

Okay, so you like the Pomi? I couldn’t tell.

Yes, I said in a previous post I like Pomi.

Hi @aaqjr -

I love tube paste. Especially since I rarely cook big pot meals in the summer. Half used cans of paste get lost in the fridge until trash day :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. But not all tubed paste is created equally. Good to know about the variety at Bay Cities - another taste test coming.

I’m still going with the jars of anchovies in oil, but will give the paste a try at some point.

Thanks

Okay, I take that back. I think I remember you recommending it a while back and actually bought it, used it and liked it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The tube is great when a recipe calls for only a tablespoon or two.

Just be careful Bay cities is a dangerous place to shop :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the warning. I’m like a kid in a candy store at specialty food shops.

their prices really aren’t bad either. I usually stock up on things like the french Vilux vinegar which I seem to go through a lot but they also have a good selection of imported pastas, Spanish goods (canned seafood, piquillo peppers), good selection/prices on Italian 00 & semolina flour ect ect…

1 Like

I’ve been spending some time in the area. To distract from my new obsession, Gjusta, I will check out Bay Cities.

Thanks Westsiders.

1 Like

Because I love you, I’ll also recommend Guidi Marcello. Head west on Olympic along the teens of the numbered streets. Make a right on 10th street. Because of the 10 freeway, you can’t get to GM directly if you’re approaching from the west and headed east.

Go to GM first. Being cash. Make sure to get olive oil and pasta and anything else that looks like a home run. Then go to Bay Cities and spend the rest of your discretionary income (or more if you’re me).

1 Like

Oh sweet! Will do! :kissing_closed_eyes: back at ya’!

The TJs tomato paste in a tube is pretty good, and cheaper than some of the brand name versions.

2 Likes

NYT and Wirecutter taste test. If you cannot get past the firewall the winner was Bianco DiNapoli. This has been my tomato of choice for a while. Many others on the board agree as well.

Widely available at Whole Foods, Cortina’s, Bay Cities and other places.

5 Likes

Did they try Afeltra?

1 Like

Only 1 non-domestic DOP San Marzano was included in the taste test. I should have clarified that before. But not sure how much of the DOP stuff is legit. Same with olive oil. I’ve been sticking to domestic brands.

1. Bianco DiNapoli Organic Whole Peeled
  2. Market Pantry Whole Peeled Tomatoe (yes from Target)
  3. San Merican Tomato (SMT)
  4. Cento Certified Peeled Tomatoes
  5. Hunt’s Whole Plum Tomato
  6. Whole Foods 365 Organic Whole Peeled Tomatoes
  7. Rega Rega San Marzano Tomatoes
  8. Organico Bello Whole Peeled Tomatoes
  9. Bella Terra Organic Italian Whole Peeled Tomatoes
  10. Whole Foods 365 Whole Peeled Tomatoes
  11. Muir Glen Organic Whole Peeled Tomatoes
  12. Contadina Whole Roma Tomatoes With Basil
4 Likes

Me too. Just like wine, NoCal is producing delicious olive oil.

1 Like

That’s what I use as well. But I do have some Bianco di Napoli in the cupboard I’m going to use next.

Mozza uses Bianco DiNapoli. Given the price they’d better be good! The Bianco in the name is Chris Bianco.

1 Like

Muir Glen were a go to for a bit but there has been a big quality drop

Strianese were my always go to . Now living where I am . I found Cento to be a strong competitor for a second choice. Makes a great pizza sauce.

1 Like