San Sebastián Seafood Recs

Gracias! I actually just heard back within the last few days and secured reservations at Akelarre and Etxebarra. I’m quite excited to say the least!

1 Like

J_L these pics are driving me wild. Gonna be in San Sebastian in a little more than a month, hopefully I can eat as well as you did. Any Bilbao recs by chance? I’m spending a few nights there…

Azurmendi.

Already booked!

1 Like

Thread is tremendous help. Thanks all.

Can anyone recommend some restaurants that aren’t modernist mich star contenders or pintxos bars? Need to find some of those.

Lanziego
Rekondo
La Viña (restaurant is in back of the pinxtos bar)
La Cepa

Ibai (weekday lunch only; tough rezzie but so well worth it)
Elkano (everyone’s ordering the turbot)

Guess who’s staying in the building next to Elkano for 3 days. Guess who’s closed for most of April?

Though not really an issue, tons of Asadors here. Iribar was life changing last night and May Flower today was very good

3 Likes

Not worried. In San Sebastian, you will still scads better than any of us in L.A.

Kaia Kaipe is “almost” as good, if they’re open, and there are some insane deals on the wine list.

Already have had 9 days of ridiculous food between Bilbao, Asturias and Cantabria

1 Like

Thanks. A bit hesitant to go to high end places with our kid. Iribar was really good, think we are about to go back to have the Turbot. Lamb and various seafood dishes yesterday was unforgettable

Kaia Kaipe has a much more casual feel than Elkano. Also, Spaniards eat at like 10pm, so if you sit down anytime before about 9 you’ll likely have the place to yourself. Not to mention that Europeans are much more tolerant of kids so as long as they’re a no screaming, throwing food, or jumping on chairs you’ll be just fine!

Agree with above statement. When in Spain.

But it’s a whole other ballpark across the Pyrenees in France.

Not around here, not in this season. Everything is either closed or empty. Nobody is eating late. We have been closing places down by 10:30

Kaia is also on vacation. We’ve been to Europe a lot with kid so we know the drill it’s just not as fun to go to very high end while having to parent.

Iribar is insane

2 Likes

Bumping this thread for any San Sebastian/Bilbao recommendations.
Our only 3* will be Akellare.
We don’t usually love giant experimental, tasting menus, so one of those is probably enough
Planning
– guided Pinxtos tour in town
– Dinner at Casa Urola
– trying to get into Asador Etxebarri (but seems unlikely)
— one of the Asadors in Getaria
– Casa Julian

Any other ideas?
Also could use a hotel recc for Bilbao.

La Viña.

Pintxos are pretty self-explanatory, I wouldn’t bother with a tour.

La Vina for a sit down meal or pinxtos?

Sit in the dining room in back if the front bar is packed standing room only with locals, as it was every time we went there.

1 Like

Had one of my favorite meals of my life at Petritegi Sagardotegia outside of Donostia-San Sebastian.

Pour your own cider straight from the barrel. Enjoy steak and bacalao.

https://www.petritegi.com/en

4 Likes