Saying Goodbye to the Amazing Nayarit-Style Seafood Dishes at Mariscos Chente - A Farewell to Sergio [Thoughts + Pics]

very sad news for me.
it was heavenly having him nearby.

3 Likes

Thank you Sergio for all your great food .Westsidegal for turning me on to his cooking… I will never have a reason to visit LA ever again. Thanks for the endeavour. :sunglasses:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

3 Likes

Hope he’s in this Friday. I’m done a little early that day and might just head on over for a final bite.

3 Likes

No problemo. Just invest in a ladder, so you can scale the wall.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s just my naivete with this cuisine, but I’ve had all these Nayarit style dishes at Coni’s Seafood and Cheko El Rey Del Sarandeado multiple times and each time it’s been fantastic. I guess my point is, Sergio or not, don’t let that stop you from checking out these other Nayarit style Mexican seafood spots. The snook/sarandeado is definitely the must order and you should call ahead and order as it can take 30-45 minutes.

At Cheko El Rey in long beach, the snook is $28 /kg and every time we’ve gone they’ve charge us $28–even though I swear it looks larger and can easily feed 4. Such an amazing deal … and i’ll put it up there w/ the best whole fish dish in LA, not to mention of the amazing value (say compared with the branzino at Angelini, Rosaline, and Bestia all at $36).

7 Likes

Hi @hppzz,

Thanks. Yah, Sergio actually worked at each Coni Seafood and Cheko El Rey, FYI. He only recently moved back to Mariscos Chente. Not saying he was the reason you had good Zarandeado, but you might’ve actually had some when he was there cooking. :slight_smile:

But yah we’ve heard from a few folks on the board that Coni’s is still great, so I’ll have to check that out, now that Sergio is gone. Thanks.

2 Likes

I am confused.
Is Mariscos Chente on Centinela, closing or returning to the original owners?
Also - it was never CASH ONLY on my prior visits, at least not that I recall.

Hi @CiaoBob,

In that Eater news story, it said it was being sold back to Coni Seafood (and changing the name). I’m guessing that’s why the signs are torn down?

Yah it was never Cash Only, but on our last visit, they put up a handwritten sign saying “Cash Only”… I’m guessing they already cancelled their Credit Card payment system in anticipation of closing? :frowning:

I could be wrong, but I think MC was cash only way back. They installed one of those ATMs after they became super popular to help the cash-challenged.

They’re closing and I believe the location will become another Coni’. In fact, I think they are already shuttered.

They were open today, Sergio was cooking.

I had to go with someone I’ve been meaning to take there forever. Call ahead.

8 Likes

Yeah - I just drove by. They’re definitely open.

Hi @Bookwich,

Nice! Good to know Sergio was in the kitchen. :wink: :smile: (sadly we might be able to ever say that again if he moves back to Mexico). How was the food?

Wait, @bulavinaka, how did you drive by and… not stop for a bite to eat?! :slight_smile:

Excellent. The snook was much loved ny my guest, and I love the green salsa so much.

2 Likes

I know, right? Had to get home to catch the Dodgers seal the deal.

3 Likes

bob:
the “original owner” was sergio’s mother-in-law.
she never really left the place, she’s been there every evening that i’ve gone there in the last 6 months or so.

i have no idea what you’re talking about.

Probably most of you have already seen this article, but if you haven’t: Jonathan Gold follows the 'Snook Whisperer' legend to four restaurants

2 Likes

Called about an hr ago. The place is open until 9PM tonight. Sergio is in the house.

I’m going to try to make it; probably won’t be there b/f 7PM, though.

Maybe I’ll see some of you there…

2 Likes