Saying Goodbye to the Amazing Nayarit-Style Seafood Dishes at Mariscos Chente - A Farewell to Sergio [Thoughts + Pics]

Wait, @bulavinaka, how did you drive by and… not stop for a bite to eat?! :slight_smile:

Excellent. The snook was much loved ny my guest, and I love the green salsa so much.

2 Likes

I know, right? Had to get home to catch the Dodgers seal the deal.

3 Likes

bob:
the “original owner” was sergio’s mother-in-law.
she never really left the place, she’s been there every evening that i’ve gone there in the last 6 months or so.

i have no idea what you’re talking about.

Probably most of you have already seen this article, but if you haven’t: Jonathan Gold follows the 'Snook Whisperer' legend to four restaurants

2 Likes

Called about an hr ago. The place is open until 9PM tonight. Sergio is in the house.

I’m going to try to make it; probably won’t be there b/f 7PM, though.

Maybe I’ll see some of you there…

2 Likes

Got there at 7:50. There were people in the back (incl Sergio), but the door was locked. :frowning:

1 Like

it was also locked at lunch time when I tried to stop by so I went by again tonight, just a bit before you were there, in the hope of better luck with dinner. The front was empty and unlit so I drove on elsewhere.

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Bummer! :frowning: Did you try calling them while you were there? The fact they said they were open until 9 but had the door locked is unfortunate…

@NewTrial sad to hear as well.

1 Like

@Chowseeker1999: Was going to (I waited outside for several mins trying to get their attention), but partner said, “It’s obvious that they’re closed” b/c even their neon “open” sign was off.

We may try again tonight, since we don’t live super far.

Went to Pepe’s tacos down the street, which was pretty good (although obviously a totally diff type of food).

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Ah. Yah it’s still a bummer though. One thing that might help is calling ahead of time and asking to speak to Sergio or the person you’re talking to and “reserving” a Snook (Pescado Zarandeado). Maybe that’ll help let them know that they will have a customer arriving at a certain time?

I’m only guessing, but maybe they were so dead (no customers) that they just decided to close up shop prior to you arriving?

I just got the nicest text!

I finished last night my fish. That was best fish I eat, even leftovers. Thank You, I have great day.

Wish I could share it with Sergio.

5 Likes

Just called, and a lady said Sergio will (hopefully) be in today and tomorrow. I also asked when they would be closing tonight, but she couldn’t give a definite answer so probably best to call right before you go.

2 Likes

I agree with this. I’ve loved Sergio’s cooking at Marisco’s Chente, but I have only ever eaten at Coni’Seafood after the time of Sergio, and each time has been great.

1 Like

I love your nail polish color.

Sucks after you called and they confirmed. Yep, may be it’s time for them to move on.

Looks incredible. Excellent report @Chowseeker1999! I :heart: this food.

I’ve been enjoying everyone’s stories about the beloved Sergio. Even starting to get the jokes… kinda’. Happy trails Sergio wherever you are. You’ve been a source of joy to many.

3 Likes

Apparently, they’re not moving on! Well, not moving on entirely. I was able to get in for a meal the following evening. :slight_smile:

While Sergio is leaving, the woman at the FOH said that she and her mother would be taking over. They’ll be closed for 2 wks and then will re-open. As what, I don’t know.

1 Like

Oh yay. I was going to ask if you went back.

But who will be manning the grill?