Scrambled eggs - opinions on this one?

There seem to be as many techniques as there are eggs. Any opinions?

1 Like

I do basically what you’re supposed to do for French omelet but I continue to mix . Take off when still wet. Looking forward to reading

1 Like

How do you like your eggs scrambled?

I ask because my mother insists they be cooked until a solid mass, preferably with browning, and completely dry. She doesn’t care if they’re beaten so the yolks and whites are a uniform color or streaked, but absolutely, positively, no moisture.

I like a soft, buttery scramble, with large and loose curds.

There’s a lot of variation in preference, so I’d start with what kind you want to make/eat, if you can describe them.

3 Likes

I mix/beat them as they say. And I “pull” the edges in…for a while, eventually stirring. I’ve seen some wonderful ones that cook for ten or twenty minutes (can’t remember) that come out super soft. Bob wouldn’t like that texture.

1 Like

The technique you linked to is close to how I make them for me, except I don’t add water: low, slow heat and gently moving to the center of the pan. I don’t flip 'em in the pan, just let the residual heat finish the cooking.

Btw, I really dislike cool/cold cooked eggs (with the exception of egg salad), so I always warm the serving plate/bowl (run under warm water and quick, thorough dry).

We heat our plates in the MW. For pretty much every meal except a sandwich.

1 Like

Low heat . Butter in the pan . Stir gently.

4 Likes

How long?

I dont use a timer . Look at the eggs in the pan
If I was going to have to guess around four minutes . I dont salt the eggs
Only after. Mix them with a fork and into the pan to cook .

You mother must know my husband. It hurts me to have to cook eggs like that for him, but I do it.
I’m a soft scramble.

4 Likes

I experimented with various things and eventually evolved this minimalist method.

1. melt butter or whatever fat in small nonstick pan over medium heat
  2. crack eggs directly into pan
  3. add salt
  4. stir until almost set
  5. turn out onto plate

I recall reading a technique that called for slowly cooking the eggs in a double-boiler. I also recall that it was a lengthy process (I’m thinking more than 30 minutes, but that may well be an exaggeration).

That’s how the French make œufs brouillés / brouillade d’ oeufs. It’s a nice thing to do with good black truffles. Bocuse and Ducasse both had famous versions.

1 Like

I recall, possibly jfood, who did it in a skillet (maybe?) but super low and slow. Bob doesn’t like them like that so I should fool around with it when he’s out golfing. The buffet in the Lufthansa lounge in Frankfort airport had super creamy ones. I took a little spoonful…and then did it twice more. I think it was low and slow and maybe some cream. Best scrambled eggs of my life.
LOL.

1 Like

James Beard on scrambled eggs:

Ha! It was an episode of Nero Wolfe - and it was 40 minutes. I have the Nero Wolfe cookbook somewhere - need to find it and look at the recipe.

In the meantime, here’s a fun piece from Serious Eats about it:

Eggs . My pinnacle. Jaques Pepin omelette. It’s the final on his test for cooking . Simply hard . Julia Child ,also .

1 Like

Gotta check those out.

Off-topic but food-related. One of our daughters is in DC this week on business. (How can they POSSIBLY be old enough for business trips?) I figured she wouldn’t be interested in Julia Child’s tv kitchen at the Smithsonian but we loved it.

2 Likes

Found!

And the recipe:

Be still, my fucking heart!!! Doesn’t that make your salivary glands do a little dance? xoc

1 Like

A trick is to hold back a little of the raw egg and add that to the pan when finished cooking .

1 Like