SD Day Trippin - Day trips from San Diego with Delicious Food and Fun Activities

Love they have a separate entrance for the homeowners, since you can get lots of riff raff and gated means gated!!
They did a beautiful job on bringing it back…
Gotta go and check it out for a long weekend…
When I played golf out there in September, it literally, was like a blow dryer blowing on my face…but its a dry heat!
:yum:

FAKEY!!!

Damn, that looks like a blast…Baja off roading is nuthin’ like it…
No hand stand or wheelie shots…come on dude!
:motorcycle:

I’m old. I don’t nacnac.

Only the beach was Baja, but it was triple digit speeds at sunrise.

Back to food…

We were in Palm Springs yesterday and discovered a pretty good sit-down deli, Manhattan in the Desert. Extensive menu with lots to try for every meal, plus a pastry shop (and takeout area) in front. We enjoyed the liverwurst and Rueben sandwiches. Great pickles. Bottled beer selection is limited, but ok.

In Julian, don’t forget the Julian Apple Pie Co.–mountain berry (crumble) with cinnamon ice cream. Killer!

2 Likes

Took the Rover up for early Xmas morning of just snowed wonderland of Julian, before the throngs down the hill descend up the hill …
Tons of snow and nothing opened.

I could see the pies at Moms through the window and dreaming of a warm slice with some hot cider…oh well…sometimes just being in the moment will suffice.

Thank goodness I planned ahead for goodies to bring up but somehow, its just not the same.

Happy New Year!

1 Like

Sorry to hear that everything was closed. I suppose there’s not a lot of demand on Christmas Day, and the restaurant people just like to stay at home. At least it was a beautiful place to be, and lucky you had the foresight to bring those goodies!

Happy New Year Dr. Chow!
Charlie and I still :two_hearts: for you…

I figured all would be closed but it would be nice if the brick and mortar stores with a little entrepreneurial spirit, would have other serving options, like a cart/stand/truck, etc. that could give the people a taste of some hot cocoa, hot cider, slice of pie and utilize the throngs of folks, looking for a hot drink and slice.

I see a lot of times where most of SD is up in Julian during the snow and most of the merchants are closed.
Talk about dumb business sense!

I think you are being slightly unfair. They may not have the flexibility to open - employees on call, etc. It’s one thing if you are a gift shop with a few employees, but restaurants and/or food related businesses probably have too many people to pull that off.

So much for my New Year’s resolution to “correct” Plumeria less often. :smile:

‘So much for my New Year’s resolution to “correct” Plumeria less often’…
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::heart_eyes::middle_finger::kiss:

I do see your point homeboy but most of these are owner/operator…they live in Julian and get the Doppler and NOAA reports, when snow is going hit…

Get a couple of 100+ Coffee urns and fill those bad boys up with hot cocoa/hot cider/coffee…hell, give me some hard cider!
Grab a bunch of pies with paper plates, nappy’s, cups and there you go…

Price point for all of that maybe $2-3 bucks…sell for $6+ for the combo deal or solo for $2+ bucks…
All day long you could be generating some extra cash, exposure for your closed down brick and mortar store and your making memories…ha ha ha

‘Get a couple of 100+ Coffee urns and fill those bad boys up with hot cocoa/hot cider/coffee.’
O.M.G. . . . .I meant to add 100+ CUPS …
First of all, I’d go broke just getting 100+ coffee urns in my possession, second, that’s enough to supply drinks to all of greater SD…including County of SD!

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi! I will be birding in Borrego Springs next weekend and was planning on having breakfast at Red Ocotillo. Just wondering if any of you have been there and how it is. Other recommendations for breakfast or lunch in that area would be great, too. Any type of food and price range is fine. Thanks in advance!

Never been there, or out that far inland really. But if you’re coming down from LA and drive through Temecula, I highly suggest you consider a quick pitstop at Havana Kitchen. Cubano and Cuban Joe are both stop-worthy sandwiches.

Enjoy the birds!

1 Like

Don’t miss Carlee’s Place for good, straightforward food. Or Ram’s Hill for lunch or dinner.

2 Likes

We took the Rover back from AZ from Ocotillo up to Julian a couple of weeks ago and you could see the vibrant green of the Ocotillo and gonna go back down to Borrego, like you, in a couple of weeks to see the tons of wildflowers…

I’ll add La Casa del Zorro for lunch or drinks at the Fox Den are lovely…
Agua Caliente Hot Springs after a long hike are a nice ending too.

www.lacasadelzorro.com/dining.php

:cactus::sunflower::hibiscus::blossom:

1 Like

The only cocktail we’ve had at Fox Den is their classic Martini, but they’re really large and they’re really well done – and they come with just-right olives. And yes, the Casa del Zorro setting is very nice. It’s really the only place we think of for a drink, especially in the evening.

2 Likes

We usually load up on carbs at Dudley’s up in Santa Ysabel (78/79 junction), and grab a few deli sandwiches to go. It allows us to eat lunch on the run and maximize the flower experience. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just looked at pictures for that place and the food looks great. Grabbing some empanadas to snack on later would be perfect. Thanks, Ipse!

I’ll definitely keep those in mind. Thank you, Doctor and Plumeria!

Good idea! We actually went to Dudley’s a couple of months ago when we visited the Ramona Grasslands Preserve. Pretty good sandwiches and pastries. Thanks, besaunders!

1 Like

Have you been since the reopening? How are the food and ambience now? I heard that all of those great old paintings the old man Copley commissioned are gone.

1 Like