Searching for French food

i’m pretty sure that’s it.

thanks.

my fucking bad.

Bistro de la Gare in South Pas.

Other than the name, and the fact that Walter Manzke got some fame for doing French bistro food at Church + State, I have not found Republique very French. Perusing the menu I see they have escargot, so there’s that. I guess it is as Cal-French as many other places.

Petit Trois made me feel like I was in France.

what’s this fucking chowhound link you speak of ??? :smile:

or better yet OK to post it on this site, FTC.

Maison Giraud.

Although mostly not using French names, a number of the other dishes at Republique are also either things you would find at more traditional French restaurants or are twists on such dishes. For example, the roast chicken coq au vin, Dover sole, moules frites and steak frites, and onion tarte are all essentially classic French fare (as is the foie gras); the gruyere and potato beignets are a bit of a variant on gougeres and the duck at least nods toward Normandy preparations.

Papilles

If you really want to feel like you’re in Paris but maybe not the best food in the world although more than passable, Figaro Cafe in Los Feliz definitely fits the bill.

My house -salade a la touraine with homemade rilli

ons…

1 Like

The place serves Duck a la Presse for fuck’s sake, how much more French do you want a place to get???

What the fuck us that preparation of duck exactly ???

I guess I need to return!

That’s probably cheaper than heading off to Tour d’Argent.

Which place serves pressed duck? It’s not on the menu at Republique, which doesn’t seem like a fancy enough place.

Googling, the only references I find to pressed duck in Los Angeles are about the Chinese dish. Trois Mec reportedly has a duck press, but I can’t find any reports of it being used except by Lefebre on “The Taste.”

It was on last week for $225. I guess they couldn’t pull it off or something? Too bad. They kept the $195 chicken… hopefully it comes back.

$225!
Damn, it’s only $171 at Tour d’Argent.

Marché Moderne if you’re in the area…