Seeking carb-centric Asian recs Koreatown and west

Had it for dinner last night. Still really good.

Mapo tofu, three cup chicken and pea shoots. Delicious.

Gotcha. That’s why I asked :slight_smile:
I haven’t been able to get to Pine and Crane in awhile so I’m glad to know I should avoid now.
Sad though.

Unfortunately, sister ship Joy (Highland Park) has taken a dip also…

Seconded.

Bongchu it is, at Brown Derby Plaza next to 85 Degrees. I highly recommend this place, too.

Bongchu is still good!

I’ll have to try bongchu out. Every time I’m in that area I always default to hangari or sun nong dan for kalbijjim

now when i make any type of braised meat dish, i’m tempted to throw in a package of those noodles just to soak up the sauce.

1 Like

First, I want to thank everyone for all of your very helpful responses on this thread. I’m not sure how to post a reply that thanks all of you - so I hope most of you will read this.

I’m not very familiar with the flavor profile of Korean dumplings, so I’m wondering what condiments will be available at a dumpling restaurant, or what I can ask for - for example, I like vinegar with some dumplings or sesame oil with others - or a mix. Can I request these or is it considered bad etiquette to do so?

thank you all - again FTCers, you are the best!

-Roz

4 Likes

At dumplings places it’s all at tableside…vinegar, oil, Chile sauce, soy sauce

Lao Gan Ma, yo…

Agreed. I don’t think you’d get heat for this. We’ve discussed it on other threads. It’s just the way it is.

Kimchi

That’s just the way Korean dumplings have always been made. The fillings are never super flavorful, spicy or bold. Meant to be eaten with kimchi or with sauces unless its in some type of soup like mandoo duk gook. I’m Korean and much prefer Chinese dumplings and XLB.

Don’t show this comment to my mom please.

6 Likes

I’m going to keep this in mind and adjust how I eat them and my expectations next time. Thanks.

I think the Korean dumplings I’ve enjoyed the most were in spicy soup.

1 Like

Okay, that’s also what @js76wisco says - “mandoo duk gook”. It looks delicious.

Edit: One of my other problems is they’re mostly made with pork. Chinese dumplings have more variety.

If you go to You Kitchen you can get some dumplings with fish and yellow chive

1 Like

OP is seeking options in Ktown and west (not east)…

He might be answering me. I’m not sure…