Seeking carb-centric Asian recs Koreatown and west

Bongchu it is, at Brown Derby Plaza next to 85 Degrees. I highly recommend this place, too.

Bongchu is still good!

Iā€™ll have to try bongchu out. Every time Iā€™m in that area I always default to hangari or sun nong dan for kalbijjim

now when i make any type of braised meat dish, iā€™m tempted to throw in a package of those noodles just to soak up the sauce.

1 Like

First, I want to thank everyone for all of your very helpful responses on this thread. Iā€™m not sure how to post a reply that thanks all of you - so I hope most of you will read this.

Iā€™m not very familiar with the flavor profile of Korean dumplings, so Iā€™m wondering what condiments will be available at a dumpling restaurant, or what I can ask for - for example, I like vinegar with some dumplings or sesame oil with others - or a mix. Can I request these or is it considered bad etiquette to do so?

thank you all - again FTCers, you are the best!

-Roz

4 Likes

At dumplings places itā€™s all at tablesideā€¦vinegar, oil, Chile sauce, soy sauce

Lao Gan Ma, yoā€¦

Agreed. I donā€™t think youā€™d get heat for this. Weā€™ve discussed it on other threads. Itā€™s just the way it is.

Kimchi

Thatā€™s just the way Korean dumplings have always been made. The fillings are never super flavorful, spicy or bold. Meant to be eaten with kimchi or with sauces unless its in some type of soup like mandoo duk gook. Iā€™m Korean and much prefer Chinese dumplings and XLB.

Donā€™t show this comment to my mom please.

6 Likes

Iā€™m going to keep this in mind and adjust how I eat them and my expectations next time. Thanks.

I think the Korean dumplings Iā€™ve enjoyed the most were in spicy soup.

1 Like

Okay, thatā€™s also what @js76wisco says - ā€œmandoo duk gookā€. It looks delicious.

Edit: One of my other problems is theyā€™re mostly made with pork. Chinese dumplings have more variety.

If you go to You Kitchen you can get some dumplings with fish and yellow chive

1 Like

OP is seeking options in Ktown and west (not east)ā€¦

He might be answering me. Iā€™m not sureā€¦

Dumpling House makes a variety.

1 Like

Again, I want to thank all of you for your recommendations. We ended up going to Myung in Dumplings, mostly because my SO wanted to see how the ā€œKing Steamā€ dumplings compared to char siu bao or other large dim sum. Everything we had was quite yummy. The skin of the ā€œKorean styleā€ wang mandu had a lovely chewiness - and the pork and scallion filling also had either the white part of the scallion or some onion that had a nice sweet flavor, which went great with the vinegar I added. The boiled dumpling with pork and vegetable also seemed to have a slight sesame flavor to it.

And my SO enjoyed the ā€œKing Steamā€ dumplings with the kim chi filling as well. The ability to add flavorings to taste actually worked to our favor - I donā€™t like a high level of heat, my SO loves it, so he was having a field day both with the sauce that was provided and the kim chi that was part of the banchan.

I wonā€™t weigh in on the ā€œKorean dumplingsā€ vs. ā€œChinese dumplingsā€ controversy - I think they both have their virtues, and lot has to do with what youā€™re in the mood for. Thanks again!

-Roz

7 Likes

Perfect