September 2016 Weekend Rundown

Beijing Pie House

I had bookmarked this place for a long time, but since we don’t get to drive to the area that much, I keep missing the chance to try it. Finally made it out here.

Complimentary Millet(?) Congee:

This was some type of Millet Congee that was free with one of the dishes we ordered. It was unflavored, so I’m guessing it serves as a carb basis, like a bowl of rice / noodles?

Cold Cucumber with Garlic:

A little bit too salty, but still refreshing with chilled Cucumbers and fresh mashed Garlic. :slight_smile:

Lamb & Green Onion Homeland Meat Cake:

I’ve never had these before, so I’m not sure what the gold standard might be, but this was a crisped up “Pancake” (according to the menu), stuffed with Ground Lamb and Green Onions. Gamey, salty, and a bit too oily. It was tasty, but I could only eat 1 piece.

Fennel & Pork Pie:

This had an appealing golden seared crust on the outside. The Fennel mixture with the Pork was delicious. Really fragrant.

Overall it felt like a lot of carb-heavy dishes with a variety of ground meats (Beef, Pork, Lamb), fried up / seared.

What else is good to order here? Thanks.

Beijing Pie House
846 E. Garvey Ave., #3A
Monterey Park, CA 91755
Tel: (626) 288-3818

10 Likes