September 2016 Weekend Rundown

Random post that doesn’t fit anywhere else:

Ginger shots at Press Bros at the GCM are really nice if you are into that kind of thing. I don’t recall this place being there before, but walked over there post-Howlin’ Rays. The shot was spot on, but the beet/strawberry back for it was awesome, and the presentation was lovely. Awesome spot to grab a ginger shot in DTLA. This is also a great finisher for a Howlin’ Rays meal btw, consider it a “Pro Tip”.

2 Likes

BANH MI VENICE

Had an UberEats coupon and saw the place @ipsedixit mentioned in that thread about Whittier / banh mi’z. In a flash, I remembered that I’d tried the pork belly iteration close to when they first opened, and it had been fine enough, but I hadn’t since returned. And so, armed with my discount code, tonight was the night of new beginnings.

The Go Fish Mi was full of flavor and spice. The dill came through really nicely. Even after its voyage in a uber, the bread was soft but held a crunch. I would definitely eat this again. Really solid.

GO FISH MÌ
ling cod braised with turmeric and dill, yogurt, spring onion, garlic / topped with bean sprouts, drizzled with lemon juice / house-made chili mayo

Also tried a bite or two of the Moo Mi, and it was a doll. Same great punch of flavor and spice. Spring rolls and rice pudding were probably items I would pass on next time.

9 Likes

That looks very delicious, but doesnt bahn mi have pickled vegetables?

1 Like

love the Go Fish Mi

2 Likes

Is this @Chowseeker1999’s Raku? If so, the variety is impressive. I drool over his/her grilled offering. But this is a whole other spin.

P.S. Donut looks scrumptious.

Sorry @TheCookie forgot to mention location, Raku is in weho, 521 N La Cienega Blvd. They just started lunch service this month. I posted a menu here.

The donut is from a different place called Cofax on Fairfax by Animal. Amazing breakfast burritos there as well.

Is a bang bang at the same restaurant just ordering more food? Or leaving then coming back to get another table? I could imagine the staff legit thinking you were a schizophrenic or something if you did the later lol

I was referring to ordering two set lunches in one sitting at the same restaurant.

1 Like

[quote=“Aesthete, post:32, topic:4162, full:true”]
The donut is from a different place called Cofax on Fairfax by Animal. Amazing breakfast burritos there as well.
[/quote]Im going to confess, I live close, have read about the burrito and donuts, see everyone’s yummy pictures… Yet I haven’t stopped by. What’s wrong with me?

Awww thanks.

I love Tacos…:taco:

5 Likes

I’ve been a little burned out on poke, but dropped by Ohana Poke Co. today because they sent me a $5 coupon. I ordered my favorite bowl with sweet unagi salmon, wakame, scallions, wasabi peas, and furikake (Japanese dry seasoning with seaweed, sesame seeds, etc.). I added on masago (fish roe) and avocado for a $1.95 surcharge. The total was a little under $10 for a medium bowl with the discount. I’m happy to report that the poke was as good as ever.

7 Likes

Kale Salad at Tender Greens.

This one was really good, with pickled fennel, yellow raisins, and toasted chickpeas. I substituted yellow beets for salami and golden balsamic vinaigrette for garlic vinaigrette. Because that’s how they should be doing it.

Tender Greens, Culver Blvd., Culver City

Marcha “Hero” Tea [I don’t know]

Matcha Box, 8036 W. Third Street, L.A.

Eric Mallmann’s Jodori Chicken, Bone-In Rib Eyes, Pineapples, all slow cooked on some awesome contraption he built out of rebar.

Eric Mallmann’s Giant Rainbow Chard Roll on a Plancha

Wolfgang Puck’s Suckling Pig

Hotel Bel Air Chef’s Dinner. It was on Wednesday, but it felt like a weekend and I don’t know where else to post it. I didn’t feel comfortable taking photos, so I just took a few quick snaps, then put the camera away.

11 Likes

Nice pics! Looks awesome. :slight_smile: How was the food there?

The restaurant is very traditional fine dining and it’s wonderful. It’s not cutting edge cuisine by any means, but the food has always been perfect. And it’s beautiful up there in the hills. This was a special event, on the lawn of the hotel. Nancy Silverton was another chef grilling that day, but I didn’t get pictures. One other chef, too, but I can’t remember his name.

Donut Man - Strawberry donut was disappointing, being painfully sweet and containing flavorless berries. Tigertail was a revelation (never had one before). Cruellers were light and delicious, old fashions were perfect. Partner has yet to try the raspberry cream cheese.

6 Likes

Last Sunday we’d gone to The Donut Man only to find them closed.

Detoured through Monrovia and stopped at Merengue. Cheese filled potato balls were good, everything else was okayish (though the croissants I’d recommend against).

Not sure if quality has dropped (haven’t been there in years) or I was still feeling grumpy about the lack of donuts. Oh, and when we asked for milk for our iced coffees (as all they had available at the coffee bar was room temp flavored creamers) they helpfully provided a chilled thermos… containing French Vanilla creamer. (Discovered too late.) This may also have colored my impressions of the food.

3 Likes

We stumbled on Irine’s Café Bakery in Glendora. Delicious baked goods - worthy of detouring from The Donut Man for. The food was also very good - some of the best dolmas I’ve ever had.

1 Like

I am a big fan of Chef Francis Mallmann’s style. But who’s Eric? :wink: