September 2016 Weekend Rundown

Good question. Probably yes. But not the Ipswich (big bellies) or quahogs (hard shell).

Geoducks

4 Likes

Speaking of beastly clams, I hear Pismo clams are making a comeback too.

4 Likes

@PorkyBelly Dear god.

Newport Seafood does a nice geoduck clam two ways. It’s a delicately flavored seafood, and a nice complement to the uber-flavorful house lobster .

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Happy Hour - the ultimate collection

(I don’t know where to post this, so I’m putting it here as a follow-up to my visit to downtown Wexler’s Deli with the bad sturgeon bagel.)

I was in Santa Monica this morning and stopped by Wexler’s Deli. I wanted to give them another chance after the blah experience last weekend at GCM.

This place is so much nicer, clean and lots of seating, and just nice. Two of the girls working there were competent and cheerful, the other one was stupid (in a bad way).

My sandwich was so much better, too. The bagel was fresher and seemed chewier, lots more cream cheese and plenty of smoked trout, which was rich and not salty. Still skimpy on the tomatoes and capers, though. And they gave me a pickle and a choice of slaw or potato salad as a side. Downtown location did not offer that. I even asked if it comes with it, and they chirped, “Yes!”

The coffee was average for $3.75 and took forever because they brew each cup individually. Whatever.

It’s no Gjusta, but I’ll be back next time I’m in the area. I want to try the matzo ball soup and the egg-salad sandwich.

Smoked trout bagel with tomatoes and capers, side of potato salad, and a pickle.

u

6 Likes

Is it the weekend yet? :sweat_smile: It was my partner’s day off so he offered to take me on a cemitas date. My kinda guy :heart_eyes: we both ordered the cemitas con milanesa de res, estilo tepeaca pueblo. Tender bread, thin and flavorful milanesa, avocado, plenty of quesillo, onions, and chipotle. The pápalo we requested came on the side. A bouquet of pápalo :kissing_closed_eyes: Agua de nuez in the background (quite sweet but we were given samples to taste first; they also had mamey). The Cemitas Poblanas Tepeaca truck is located on Whittier Blvd, cross street Spencer. There are tables inside the shop directly behind the truck.

10 Likes

I texted that to my oldest & his girl, who live in Whittier. She said she wants to go on a “cemitas date” now too.

2 Likes

@TheCookie I’m pretty sure that truck is more in East LA than Whittier.

Ahhh… Okay.

Hi TheCookie! As attran99 mentioned, the truck is on Whittier Blvd. but in East Los Angeles. Your son & girlfriend’s date could involve a cruise down Whittier Blvd. for cemitas :wink: Cue Thee Midniters

Thee Midniters - Whittier Blvd.

:grinning: I’m sending that to them. Thanks!

Corner Beef Noodle :heart_eyes:

Great noodles, nice broth and the pickled cabbage is excellent. Got extra pickled cabbage.

Beef noodle soup

Fuoco

Got Jamaican food at Hilltop Jamaican in Pomona. Really good stuff. Jerk chicken meal and 4 patties; jerk, goat curry, beef and veggie.

BBQ goes great with Jamaican food and college football.

Beef shorts and spare reeeebs

And beer, lots of beer.

9 Likes

….and it’s only Saturday…….impressive

1 Like

Still time for some ice cream tonight. :icecream::laughing:

1 Like

Heavenly key lime pie and coffee caramel eclair from Republique. Don’t worry, I shared with my husband.

Picked up a Wiki Salmon bowl from TikiFish in Palms. I really wanted to like this. The staff was really friendly, and the price was in line with other poke shops. The portion of salmon was quite generous. However, the fish didn’t taste very fresh, and the corn seemed like an odd pairing with the salmon.

8 Likes

I agree, that key lime pie is great.

1 Like

REVOLUTIONARIO

This has been on the list for a while, so I was excited to finally get over there. No pictures since @Chowseeker1999 already did such an expert job of documenting their dishes in his great report. The space is modest, but this family-run restaurant is friendly, and there’s a great comfort being there. All of the food was fantastic, and we tried a boat load:

• MAIN MENU: Black Eyed Pea Falafel Taco (amazing falafel) / Cilantro Yogurt Chicken Taco / Beef Brisket Barbacoa Taco / Duck Hash (my favorite taco) / Cheese & Scrambled Egg Brik (a highlight!) / Shakshouka Taco / Mint Iced Tea
  • SPECIALS: Couscous with Chicken (HUGE. Ended up taking almost all of it home for leftovers) / Smashed Fries / Merguez & Potato Tacos

1436 W Jefferson Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90007
(424) 223-3526
http://revolutionario.com/

REDBIRD

Science has proven that the only way to get out of a North African taco coma is to have nice cocktails, and so we ventured on to Redbird. We had no problem getting a spot at the bar, in the prettiest restaurant in LA. Fight me! All of the cocktails we tried were the best we’ve had in quite some time. Ranked below in my personal favorite order

• The Woods - gin, french vermouth, falernum, douglas fir eau de vie, lime, salt
  • Spring Spritz - savignon blanc, pamplemousse, bianco vermouth, grapefruit essence
  • Turf Club - gin, french vermouth, maraschino, absinthe, orange bitters, lemon essence
  • Belmont Breeze - bourbon, amontillado sherry, lemon, grenadine

We also split up the Oaxacan Peach (mole dulce, condensed milk, burnt candela) dessert. Others liked it more than I. All of the flavors and textures seemed to meld into each other in a non-descript way. It was tasty enough for a few bites, and cool to look at, but I’m not sure I’d jump in front of a bus driven by Keanu Reeves to get it again.

114 E 2nd St
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 788-1191

5 Likes

Tar & Roses was closed, Milo & Olive was almost closed, so we said fuck it and headed back to my house with a stop at Cinco de Mayo for foood.

Seven carne asada tacos and rice and corn tortillas for me. Serviceable, we were very, very hungry. $3 tacos, packed with a lot meat.

Byw, Why don’t we have a what I ate when I was drunk thread?

7 Likes