SF Bay Area pizza scene, 2016 to 2018

Do you eat a lot of traditional Neapolitan Margheritas? The sauce is usually just crushed San Marzanos, and it is on the watery side compared with cooked sauces.

2 Likes

@robert Fascinating, I didn’t know that! That’s really interesting. I still really liked the pizza. I guess I prefer less traditional cooked sauces. How do you learn tidbits like this? I wish I knew this going in, as I think I’d appreciate the pizza more. I guess I’ll have to try more traditional Neapolitan Margheritas! :smile:

Unlike I think every other kind of pizza, Neapolitan pizza has official rules.

Pizza Margherita

Canned peeled tomatoes 60 – 80 g
Olive oil (Virgin or Extra Vergin) 4 – 5 g (variance of +20% tolerated)
Mozzarella/Fior di latte 80 – 100 g
Fresh Basil A few leaves
Hard cheese (grated) 10 – 15 g
Salt As needed

Using a spoon place the pressed, peeled tomatoes in to the centre of the pizza base, then using a spiralling motion, cover the entire surface of the base with the sauce excluding the crust (the addition or substitution of peeled tomatoes with fresh tomatoes is allowed).

Add salt uniformly (if it has not previously been added to the tomato) to the tomato sauce.

Spread thinly sliced strips of ‘mozzarella’ or ‘fior di latte’ evenly over the pizza base.

Grated cheese, if added, should also be spread in a uniform manner over the base.

A few basil leaves should then be placed on top of this, from the centre outwards.

Using a traditional copper oil canister and the same spiralling motion, starting from the centre and moving out, pour Extra Virgin Olive Oil/Olive oil over the pizza.

There are detailed specifications for each of the ingredients. Click on International Regulations here:

2 Likes

That’s amazing! Now, I want to eat Neapolitan pizza again! :pizza: nomnomnom

And for the love of god, don’t ask for Ranch dressing for the crusts…

1 Like

We have a local brewery that also has a casual restaurant with really good food. They always have six or so pizzas on the menu. They use the grains from the beer making in their pizza dough. It’s brown and super good. One of the servers suggested that we eat that part with their blue cheese dressing. Oh yeah. But, yeah, overall I agree with you.

1 Like

islice has opened on lower Solano. Inexpensive but not very good. Doughy crust. Decent sauce. No worse than Whole Foods’, but when I want to walk for pizza I’ll stick to Little Star. I especially like Little Star’s individually sized pizzas on the lunch menu (served until 4PM).

Cross-posting my Tony’s rec:

Una Pizza Napoletana is closing? has closed? and Mangiani’s opening a place in New York.

Some seriously sad news :frowning:

Was there last night as we thought it might be the last night in SF. Just as amazing as it has always been. Anthony said they should be open for another few weeks although they’ll be closed the week of thanksgiving. Very sad to be losing this gem back to NY as it is my favorite pizza.

Since I was dropping my knives off at Columbus Cutlery, my plan was to have a slice at Tony’s, but everyplace had a long line of drunk Santas. So I jumped on the first bus heading through the Stockton tunnel and it had a stop near Montesacro Pinseria, which I guessed correctly would be Santa-free.

It’s an eccentric place, there’s a huge, beautiful old bread oven at the back but they don’t use it. The pinsa’s made in a modern Italian electric pizza oven. There are no other cooking facilities, to the rest of the menu is cold antipasti, cold cuts, cheese, and (lunch only) panini.

I just wanted a snack so I ordered the Montesacro ($19), since the toppings seemed relatively light: Stracciatella, Lacinato kale, Calabrian chiles, and garum. Crust was soft with a little crunch and scorch, lots of flavor from long fermentation. The kale looks raw but it’s actually blanched, nice combination with the creamy cheese and lots of pickled peppers. I couldn’t taste the fish sauce.

4 Likes

How different from pizza did it taste?

It tasted like pizza. I could taste that it had fermented for a long time, but if I hadn’t read otherwise, I’m not sure I would have realized it wasn’t 100% wheat.

If I may revive this… We love thin, crispy crust. Pretty basic ingredients, fewer rather than more. In the city. Preferably on a Muni line but that’s not totally necessary. Your advice please. Thanks.

Baonecci, Pizzetta 211, Cotogna, Pauline’s

Oh wow! Having looked at menus I’m liking them in the order listed. You’re the best, bud.\

ETA: Not Tony’s?

Tony’s is too ambitious. They make something like 20 different styles of pizza with close to that many different doughs in eight different ovens. They can’t execute them all consistently. Despite that the wait can be two hours at peak times. Might be safe at off hours when there’s no wait.

Reservations are essential at Baonecci (it’s a North Beach locals’ fave) and for dinner at Cotogna.

I had wondered about all the pizzas and all the ovens.

Thanks for the res recs. C