Shibuya and the Valley Stereotypes

Would be a great band name, but alas.

Our story starts in January, during my meal at Terra Cotta. I’m with a friend (occasionally referred to as a “dining companion” in my reports here, so let’s call him DC) and his friend (who I’m on friendly terms with as well - he’s from the SFV, so let’s call him Valley Guy, or VG).

Over the course of the meal it emerges that VG fancies himself quite a sushi connoisseur, having made nearly a dozen trips to Japan, and he claims that his local neighborhood spot (in Calabasas) is the best sushi restaurant in LA. It emerges that he hasn’t eaten at any of the top-tier sushi restaurants in LA to justify this comparison, but he claims it stacks up well to some better places in Japan. Skeptical but intrigued, I ask about the name of the place - if, after a few years of browsing Chowhound, FTC, other food blogs, doing my own research, and eating around, I still haven’t heard of such a high-quality sushi restaurant, it’d be pretty unusual. The name of the restaurant is Shibuya. (Indeed, I hadn’t heard of it.)

VG makes me a bet - we’ll eat at Shibuya, and then at any sushi restaurant in LA of my choice, and, according to my best judgment, the person with the worse restaurant pays for both meals. Even though I plan on judging honestly, this feels like a sure thing. The likelihood of such a good sushi restaurant going undiscovered and unmentioned in these environs seems extremely low.

Months pass, and VG keeps bailing on our trip to Shibuya - in addition to the problem of his busy schedule, Shibuya does not take reservations(!!), and he claims that it is so busy that he arrives at 5 just to get seated at 5:30, when they open.

Yesterday, on Tuesday, we finally agreed that it was an appropriate night for all three of us, though I wouldn’t be able to make it until 7:30, and resigned myself to waiting in line. I arrive at 8:00 because I get held up with some family issues (nothing serious), and find that DC and VG have been waiting since 7:20. They are not even close to being seated.

I glance around at the other people waiting, and find myself surrounded by every Valley stereotype you can think of. Enumerating them would, perhaps, be a little tacky. Your imagination will suffice.

It is 8:00 pm, and it is 97 degrees outside. Shibuya is a very small restaurant, with three or four small tables, and a bar. There is not much room to stand inside and enjoy the AC.

I haven’t eaten since lunch. The wait is interminable.

We are seated at 9:30 pm, which is when the restaurant normally closes. I order omakase, and VG orders all of his favorites, which include traditional items such as stuffed squid, spicy tuna on crispy rice, and a spider roll (he actually orders a bunch of nigiri as well, but I won’t be going over it, as I had my own to contend with).

The stuffed squid arrives first, and - surprise - it’s actually very good. The squid is tender and snappy, filled with crab, lightly dipped in eel sauce - it is as decadent as it looks, but not overwhelming. My omakase begins, and the nigiri is largely unremarkable - the fish quality is maybe a little above average for a decent neighborhood spot, but the cut is too thick, the drape is simply wrong, the rice is extremely sloppy - I could go on, but won’t. Suffice it to say I don’t have to try very hard to think of better sushi in LA. The trio of scallop nigiri with different dressings (one seared) are admittedly good, but not great. In between all this are bites of VG’s food:

Delicate sauteed mushrooms with thin shavings of scallop, nicely springy.
The best spicy tuna on crispy rice I’ve ever had - lush, creamy tuna with more bite than usual, on an enormous fried mound of rice, which almost seems to be tastier than their sushi rice.
An extremely good Spider roll, with very well-fried soft-shell crab and excellent proportions of vegetables.
And so on. After that kind of wait, the night is a bit of a blur.

My final impression is difficult to sum up in a few words. I would never come back - yes, pretty much every non-sushi item was best-in-class, but I still don’t like them enough to travel to Calabasas and wait in such a ridiculous line. It also reminded me why I’m happy to not live in the Valley anymore. If you are in the SFV and want a traditional sushi experience, I would recommend Sushi Yotsuya. If, on the other hand, you want to spend a few hours lost in a surreal daze without resorting to illicit substances, and have some admittedly good low-modernist interpretations of Japanese food, you could do worse than Shibuya. Come early, or bring water for the wait (though they’ll probably let you order some beers if you ask nicely).

Shibuya
4774 Park Granada, Calabasas, CA 91302

7 Likes

Have you decided where you are going to take him for dinner #2?

Lol! Speaking of stereotypes I don’t know why but I’m reminded of the sushi joint run by Russians in the anime Durarara

1 Like

I was thinking Shibucho, as I’ve already cultivated the beginnings of a decent relationship with Shige-san, but during our meal VG insisted on dipping his fish rice-side down in soy sauce. (I suppose I should be thankful he didn’t stir some wasabi in there too.) When I commented on this disparity with his claimed appreciation for good sushi, he said that he likes it that way and if the chef tells him a specific way to eat it, he will - otherwise he’ll do what he wants.

At this point I’m afraid to take him to any respectable place where I’ll want to come back myself.

1 Like

Kardashian clan sightings there bring the business, unfortunately…

1 Like

I did hear a reference to one of the businesses being nearby, but didn’t exactly put it together… if I want celebrity sightings, I think I will stick to Shibucho. At least they will have a chat with you while you pretend not to recognize them there.

thank you for your report and embodying every stereotype of people who live in the basin.
i wont enumerate because that would be a little tacky but you all can use your imagination.
this reminds me why im happy i dont live in many places over the hill.

Great post and depiction of the so called sushi expert.

Unfortunately I’ve encountered said specimen across all corners in the greater LA area. Although Shibuya does attract a disproportionate number of them …

1 Like

I love your post and open-mindedness.
My question is how to determine the bet winner in such a subjective situation? We all agree with you (without taking a bite) but what about VG?
Was the “expert” thrilled with the meal he showed off for you? He may eat at Mori-Shunji-Zo-Q-etc and declare it terrible…and, you know, he’s been to Japan, so there’s no arguing him out of it.

1 Like

Lol nice write up.

Agree with @CiaoBob. There are no winners in this battle.

1 Like

I do indeed fit certain stereotypes to a T. I doubt they are the ones you are thinking of, though.

He agreed to leave it up to my best judgment. Even ignoring the pitfalls of continuing with the bet, I’d almost feel bad taking his money, because we weren’t even talking about the same food group to begin with.

when you assume…

Perhaps you will expand his horizons, and he will be grateful to you forever. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hell, it reminds me why I don’t live on either side of the hill. 15 years was plenty.

Ease up on extrapolating Calabasas to being emblematic of the entire Valley. It’s f’n Calabasas…

3 Likes

This was my thought, as well…

To bring it back to food, this place doens’t sound that bad. No, I wouldn’t drive or wait for it, either, but it sounds like you could certainly do much worse (even on the other side of the hill)…

I spent half my life in the Valley. It was a joke. Chill. Next time I’ll avoid mocking my own tribe, and hit a safe target, like vegetarians. We don’t have any of those here, right? :wink:

2 Likes

You keep doing you. I thought it was funny

2 Likes

Supposedly we do, but they’re too weak to press the keys.

1 Like

No, that’s vegans.

This reminds me of an acquaintance who raved about 786 Degrees as having the best pizza. Period.

Not just in LA, or even CA, or even points west of the Mississippi, but the best pizza. Period.

I’m not a wagering person, but if I were, I’d now be a proud owner of a Birkin.