Shin Sushi - OOE omakase

Hi @Ns1,

When we called, they said they serve lunch Tues - Fri, 12 p.m. - 2 p.m., and you basically get the same dinner omakase course (same pricing). They didn’t mention any “lunch specials.”

2 Likes

Menus. I’m assuming for both lunch and dinner.

1 Like

For comparison, here is Mori’s menu from Wednesday.

1 Like

Da real MVP’s

Amaebi for $5 are you kidding me. That $20 sushi set looks awesome too.

I assume that’s per piece, not for 2.

Still, pricing looks to be considerably cheaper than other good sushi spots which do a la carte.

That’s still less than what I pay…in Palmdale…

3 Likes

How is amaebi $5/piece? That’s cheaper than buying wholesale from Pacific Fish in downtown.

Did the OOE omakase, shocked the bill came in that low.

Standouts were the shinko, ikura, Hokkaido scallop and the kasugo. The Santa Barbara uni was damn good as well. The menegi was also interesting, great starter round to begin nigiri. I didn’t expect this to be a good as it was. Also, the eggplant was flawless in the starter appetizer, and the blue fin tuna smoked with cherry blossom was really well done. The rice has a unique acidic and salty quality, a bit different. I think the fish was served a tad too cold for my liking, Take-san was cutting each nigiri at a time instead of bringing them more to room temperature.

Had to order the shinko again, it was super complex and very tender compared to kohada. Take-san said it is only available for one month, so better get it while it is here.

The ikura was refreshing, complex and super smooth. This was served at optimal temperature in culmination with the rice to provide a flavor bomb.

Tofu mousse dessert was good, not the best version of this I have had but it was on the house from chef.

Take-san is a very amicable host to chat up. He said one of his favorite non Japanese restaurants is Bestia. He told me that he had to adjust the flavor because people in West LA have a different palate than that of The Valley, so he had to adapt his style to the area. He also told me that recently Shunji got a very good kitchen chef who focuses on traditional Japanese cooked items, which will provide a more balanced meal in culmination with the creativity of Shunji-san.

Impending beer and wine license ETA, one month.

5 Likes

Thanks for the report, in LA I’ve only seen menegi sushi from mori-san. I need to try that shinko. How was the snow trout?

Were they busy? I had the same issue with take-san cutting and making the nigiri too fast and not allowing the fish to warm up a bit

:heart_eyes:

Two meals at Shin Sushi or just one meal at Hayato? :thinking:

The menegi is really awesome. Shinko was my favorite, it was that good and served at the perfect temperature to enjoy all of its glory. It was so soft and buttery, unlike kohada.

I did enjoy all of the food I was served, snow trout didn’t stand out for me amongst the ones I noted. The aoyagi was also quite tasty, definitely comes back to my memory.

Not busy at all, I was the first and only customer for basically 3/4 of my meal until someone else came in. Only a small number were a bit too cold, most were good, didn’t have that problem with any of the shellfish. Oh yeam, speaking of shellfish, the amaebi was sweet AF.

2 Likes

I hope we FTCers are not the only ones keeping this marvelous place alive…

It was Thursday and I stopped in right at opening because I didn’t want to sit in traffic. I did ask how business was and he said he expects it to pick up after he gets beer and wine. I was told business has been so so. No BYOB for those interested. He said some customers have stepped outside to take a swig and come back inside for nigiri :joy:

Place is set way back in the strip mall and not visible from the street with no meaningful anchor tenants. Tough to garner any walk in traffic.

1 Like

Hey, I resemble that statement.

1 Like

FIFY.

2 Likes

are you asking which meal to do first in your bang-bang?

A: Shin Sushi. They open at 5 and hayato opens at 7.

7 Likes

IT’LL HAPPEN ONE DAY GUYS! ONE DAY! :rofl:

A5KOBE:
He said some customers have stepped outside to take a swig and come back inside for nigiri

The liquor store next door is quite convenient should you have forgotten your flask o’ sake.

1 Like

I am going to go at least twice a month as soon as they get that liquor license, which Take says will be sometime next month.