Shirube - Santa Monica

Continuing the discussion from Sawtelle 2018:

2 Likes

now open, review forthcoming?

2 Likes

testing

1 Like

It is the old Musha space!!! That’s kind of exciting for some of us old timers.
I think it is promising - they have some cool new ideas, but halesome kinks to work out. We will return.
Staff was great.
The Darth Vader samurai uniform lording over the dining room is cool AF.

I wish they had Japanese beer actually brewed in Japan (Ashahi draft, Orion, Echigo, kanazawa, etc) and the sake selection is not too great, though we enjoyed the hot sake - Taketsuru I think.

Really good
Corn Ribs with shoyu butter
Chawan Mushi
Karaage (big chunks of thigh meat, well fried, good sauce)
Dan Dan Udon (fun to say, and to eat)

Not Great
Sashimi Mori - salmon was inedible (all stringy. gristly and chewy); also, not a great idea to put the wasabi or the fish directly on ice chips (the wasabi fell into the ice before we could extract it, and the bottom of the fish froze).
Yaki Nasu - the shaved kombu was kind of like eating cobwebs. Also was a cold dish (not mentioned on menu). Others may love this - we didn’t

Karaage

Fried Corn Ribs

8 Likes

I went this week too! Agreed that there are some kinks that need to be worked out.

Wasn’t expecting much of those corn ribs and they were great!

Did you get the Aburi Shime Saba? That is the thing that every table got when I would go to the Tokyo location.

Hopeful for them because the brothers are there day in, day out!

The drink menu is just plain bad—I don’t think they have put much effort into it yet. But the sake sales guys will be in there soon enough, I’m sure.

1 Like

We did not try the saba. Wife is not a sliver fish - or a torch - fan, and I didn’t want the whole portion solo.

About the drinks.
That must be part of their fame (in Japan) because they have a “bartender” station, and there was a woman holding down that station the entire time we were there, though mostly she had nothing to do. Seemed an odd use of (wo)man power and will likely not last unless the place turns into a big time happy hour/drinks spot.
Also there was a slushy machine making some kind of “signature” cocktail.

1 Like
  • Chef/Owner is the nephew of the original Musha’s Sergio.

• Great experience the week after the soft open. Corn, Sashimi, Mentaiko Udon, salads all tight.

• Returned the following week to find the quality had slipped. Fried items tasted of old oil, some oversalting of sautéed/grilled items – that sort of thing.

Looked like they were working new sous guys into the regular rotation. Probably best to give them the aforementioned kink ironing time before returning. Lots of potential,

4 Likes

was there Friday, the apps are fantastic but the mains need work.

also was very not crowded and they have sooo many staffers there, more than the customers it seems. :frowning: I worry for this place, especially without even putting a sign or anything to show it’s even a restaurant? looks very hidden

1 Like

Haven’t read much about this place. Enjoyed it greatly. Will say that the food skews heavier/richer than a typical izakaya. Hits were the torched mackeral, karaage, corn ribs and dan dan udon. Blue crab tacos were tasty but nothing special. Negitoro was too rich with lots of avocado and creme fraiche… I prefer the simpler versions with a lighter ponzu. But for me, the real star was the passion fruit panna cotta with coconut creme. Super light, could taste all the fruits, not too sweet and actually veered tart. So good!

4 Likes