Simone - Arts District

I’d read them if you posted it.

2 Likes

As much as I otherwise disliked my experience at Petit Trois, theirs was the best bread and butter I’ve ever had.

3 Likes

Having eaten the bread and butter at Simone and at Petit Trois within the same week, I really liked the Simone bread and butter more. I’m surprised that @Clayfu thought the Simone butter was just average, as I really loved it. Maybe it was the pairing that the Simone sommelier suggested – Cuvee Marie Jurancon Sec. Nothing like a good wine and butter pairing! Seriously, I think the acidity of the Cuvee Marie Jurancon Sec cut through the richness of the butter.

If anyone goes to Simone, I highly recommend the Cuvee Marie Jurancon Sec which the somm said was his favorite white by the glass on the menu. Nice also because you can have a glass of white and then move on to a bottle of red.

i ate at manresa during her tenure, i don’t remember many details but i thought it was hit or miss. I remember loving the arpege egg but didn’t care for the much lauded “into the vegetable garden” dish. It tasted like what the lamb in my main entree should be eating.

given all that, i’d still like to try simone’s chef’s table.

2 Likes

Chef Kinch’s rendition of Le Gargouillou by Michel Bras, with a “dirt” of burnt chicories. It, like the “(insert season) Tidal Pool” at Manresa in my opinion, has gotten a bit more reductive and less harmonious with each visit. It’s more of an austere palette cleanser now. Last time, it was simply announced as “…Green and Bitter…” and it tasted as such.

I think even locally to RTB/Avery’s “North Coast” which was a tastier and more interesting expression of Northern California “terroir” so to speak (lamb - aged sashimi and its barbecued fat - oysters, ice plant, mermaid’s hair seaweed, artichoke/cardoon and lamb jus).

One challenge in presenting a tasting menu is maintaining a consistency of delicious dishes (or at least dishes that fit well into the context of a progressive meal). Again, the pedigree / training is there, and it’ll be interesting to see how Simone develops over the next couple of months.

2 Likes
1 Like

You really had something good going there until you called your posters nitwits.

1 Like

I stand by my very narrowly tailored criticism.

1 Like

chef’s counter tasting menu starts 2/22

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtjckwEBP7I/

1 Like

I saw this last night too! I’ll call the restaurant later to get the price point and more info about this since I don’t see that the Chef’s counter is available on Resy anymore.

1 Like

@PorkyBelly snagged all the ressies

4 Likes

Just got off the phone. Apparently, reservations for the Chef’s counter will go live on 2/16 but it’ll be based off of a lottery and not on a first come first serve basis.

Price Point: $195/Person
Number of Courses: TBD
What’s on the menu? TBD, but it’ll be much more special than the regular menu according to the receptionist…

4 Likes

Seriously? Do they really think this is going to be such a hot ticket to warrant a lottery? C’mon man this is la not fucking noma or el bulli.

6 Likes

Simone is FO’ SHO’ not Noma or El Bulli…

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

Concierge is key to Noma, booked a reservation couple days ago without a problem for the month of May. I’ll be eating here through pics, highly doubt it’s worth the trouble. Hope I’m wrong though.

1 Like

Just got this email from Simone. Crazy stuff… :sweat_smile:

Reservations will be available through a lottery on our website

“The Chef’s Counter is a dream realized - a uniquely interactive Tasting Menu experience. A chance for me to get back to my fine dining roots and share the stories behind each dish alongside my chef de cuisine Jason Beberman and pastry chef Nina Subhas. Spend the evening with us in the kitchen not only tasting the dishes but enjoying our tales of inspiration and, at times, witty banter as we walk you through our creative processes.” – Chef Jes

Due to the limited number of seats, we will be booking the Chef’s Counter through a lottery, chosen at random, to provide an equal opportunity for all guests to experience the tasting menu.

• One seating Friday & Saturday at 7pm
  • $185 for Tasting Menu
  • $85 Optional Beverage Pairing featuring Wines and Cocktails from Duello

*We are happy to accommodate dietary restrictions, but they must be confirmed for all guests at least 3 days before dining. No Exceptions.

Our first release will be the following dates:

• Friday 2/22
  • Saturday 2/23
  • Friday 3/1
  • Saturday 3/2

The link for lottery submission will be released on our website, newsletter, and social media accounts. Stay Tuned.

1 Like

If it was a legitimately hard reservation to get, a lottery might actually have some appeal rather than having to be glued to the Resy app at midnight. You don’t have to book a meal 3 months out and it could lead to a lower stress process.

But it definitely seems a bit presumptuous. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If anything, we need a lottery for n/naka. I had an underwhelming meal there back in 2015 but I haven’t been able secure another reservation there since Chef Table blew them up…

Lottery is a good idea from a marketing standpoint. Creates artificial scarcity but also hides the fact that no one will books res cause the food isn’t worth $200pp

1 Like