Simone - Arts District

I thought David Chang was being too effusive cause she was a female chef. As in to show how supportive he is of women chef. But at the same time she was also doing a lot of self promotion about how great she was at cooking and how often people complimented her.

1 Like

Thatā€™s pretty much what I got from the interview too.

Okay listened to it again

I try to not influence myself too much with other peopleā€™s work. Itā€™s something as an artist, because I do think of us as artistsā€¦ I really try to keep it separate from my creative process.

Because I like that somehow Iā€™ve tapped into true inspiration in my brain when I create food and stuff and I really love that about myself that I donā€™t follow trends or do anythingā€¦

9 Likes

lol barf

1 Like

ā€œBut thatā€™s enough talking about me. Letā€™s talk about you. What do you think about me?ā€

6 Likes

Chang is seemingly always effusive toward his peers and friends after I listened to his podcast with Rene Redzepi, Jessica Largey, and Jeremy Fox.

Talking from personal experience unfortunately Iā€™ve seen shit shows like this where we were losing 30K per month and this is a restaurant that was only 60 seats with much cheaper rent and overhead.

So thereā€™s a possibility if they arenā€™t smart and depending on how much rent+tax+utilities+services it could be around 50K per month loss or 600K per year and thats before they have to pay their sales tax bill.

1 Like

Thatā€™s actually a lot less than I anticipated. The Russo brothers could sustain Simone forever.

1 Like

Iā€™m just estimating here it really depends on how lean they run it and how many people they keep on staff. Iā€™d say if they run lean 50K is reasonable but if they keep everyone staffed then it could definitely jump to the 100K mark since labor is usually the largest expense.

But Simone is in Arts District. And Arts District rent isnā€™t exactly cheap. Even the mega-rich will consider cutting their losses when hemorrhaging becomes noticeable.

If their production offices are upstairs, $600k/year for a private event space/club house that doubles as a restaurant during its downtime ainā€™t bad. Add on overall tax savings and losses would decrease further.

Iā€™ve seen directors/producers blow more money on less.

I doubt Joe is concerned about profits from Simone. In fact, itā€™s probably just the opposite.

#BecauseTaxWriteOff

1 Like

The list of perks and write offs are long.

1 Like

Ew, ew, ew. I feel like I need to take a shower after reading that article. :frowning:

In the ā€œregularā€ corporate world, yes. But some of the folks in the entertainment industry are presumably not good at managing their $ā€¦

2 Likes

Theyā€™ll let it bleed for as long as the tax issue is beneficial.

1 Like

And look what happened Dave Beran is opening a larger 2nd restaurant after having started small.

1 Like

Hope the next place will be better than Dialogue, which I thought was an immense disappointment, given his kitchen pedigree.

What disappointed you? Iā€™m curious since Iā€™m still on the fence about going for the first time.

To be honest I dined at Next when they were doing the Alinea 2010-2015 menu and I thought it was quite terrible. And I havenā€™t been to dialogue but it looks to be more of the same modernist contrived food.

1 Like

Forgot about this little nugget:

I made the services at manresa the perfect machine by the time I left I was bored with like how perfect everything went.