Simone - Arts District

she’s precious

Wow this girl is clearly way too into herself.

When I listened to the podcast, I took that as her sincere confidence in her ability as opposed to bragging.

To give that line of her making “Manresa the perfect machine” a little context, I believe David Chang asked her if Manresa got their 3rd star before or after she left. And her response was that they got their 3rd star a few months after she left so she felt that she played a part since toward the end of her tenure, her team was able to time things “to the minute” each day…then she went on to say something to the effect of what PorkyBelly mentioned: I made the services at Manresa the perfect machine, by the time I left, I was bored with like how perfect everything went.

Additionally, prior to that little segment, David Chang and Jessica Largey also had a candid conversation about how a chef needs to feel challenged and learning constantly. They agreed that if a chef is too comfortable, that means he or she isn’t growing anymore.

To recap my take on what she really meant, she basically said she stopped growing at Providence. Then she moved to Bastide and her friend/boss (Paul Shoemaker) said that she was too comfortable at her role so she needed to go elsewhere to learn…she ended up at Manresa and stopped learning/growing there too after 6 years so she was ready to start her own project.

1 Like

At the end of the day, I don’t think it was poor management that has done in Simone, but food that was frankly not delicious. Although there was a service lapse when I ate there (tea served lukewarm and brought long after dessert), all would have been forgiven if the food had been delicious, which it wasn’t. I was surprised about how I found most of the dishes poorly conceived, given how long the restaurant was in development.

I think to succeed with the type of restaurant that Simone was striving to be, it either needed to have delicious food or to become a “scene” where people like to go and be seen regardless of the quality of the food – I’m thinking of Avra in Beverly Hills or Craig’s or Dan Tana’s (although I know there are some on this Board who think the food at Dan Tana’s is good). From the L.A. Magazine article, it appears that Simone was becoming a bit of a scene on weekends, but that still left all the other nights of the week. The God awful Avra seems to be packed every day, but I guess people don’t go to the Arts District on a Tuesday night to be seen.

Yeah I still don’t see your POV, she came off extremely arrogant and full of herself. I guess she got what she wanted right? To be challenged?

I am thankful to this board for saving me from wasting my time and money at Simone. A few months ago I was deciding between Simone and Kali and a few of you led to me back to Kali and I am grateful.

3 Likes

shit show

Holy eff, just burning money like it’s going out if style