Singaporean / Malaysian other than Hainan chicken rice

Ohhh snap. Bumped up in my queue.

1 Like

Since your usual dining radius would seem to exclude a large swath of the westside, perhaps you just qualify your sweeping generalizations about a population may not know much about?

2 Likes

LMAO not really; last time I checked, La Brea / Highland is west-of-center for Los Angeles (certainly well-west of Downtown), and judging by the number of threads here bemoaning the lack of “authentic” westside dining for most ethnic cuisines (but gradually improving, thankfully), I don’t think there’s much I’m missing out on by forgoing the crunch of westside traffic. Sorry not sorry. Regardless, my point regarding delicate olfactory sensibilities still stands.

What, in your opinion, am I truly missing out on that can only be found on the Westside that I cannot find in an equivalent or better for faster, cheaper and less hassle (traffic, parking, etc.) elsewhere (starting from Koreatown)? Please, I’d really like to know as I have some friends who live out there, and I can only go to Little Fatty so many times.

Upper tier sushi temples

Shunji, Mori, Tsujita, Zo, Kiriko, Sasabune, Shiki, Urasawa, etc are all west of La Brea

Take Venice or Olympic if you hate traffic

2 Likes

Why does it need to be cheaper? B/c that’s how you view “ethnic” food? Restauranteurs shouldn’t be allowed to charge more for higher rent? Or for higher quality ingredients? @J_L already mentioned Cassia. Can you come up w/ a place that’s similar anywhere else in LA (aside from Majordomo)? @euno has written quite eloquently in another thread about why he doesn’t think “ethnic” should be synonymous w/ “cheap.”

If you want to engage in a fruitful converastion, then please don’t link to a Yelp post about the 99 Market in Van Nuys as way to support your “point” that people on the Westside can’t tolerate ethnic food. I grew up in the SGV, and I also think 99 Ranch smells gross. I can assure you that I enjoy “real” Chinese food just fine. Being able to tolerate the smell is different than being able to tolerate a prepared dish, and cherry-picking your information comes off as being… disingenuous. All just IMHO, of course.

n/naka
raku

2 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy: #truth

1 Like

Simpang, Jasmine, Artelice Pastisserie, Zam Zam (further south), Annapurna, ta-eem

Wow, you really are jumping to a lot of incorrect conclusions here. “Cheaper” is because why the hell would I slog through traffic from Koreatown to the Westside for the pleasure of paying more for something I can get cheaper closer to me? I clearly specified “equivalent” and that’s up to you to interpret. But no, I’m not going to drive to Century City for Meizhou Dongpo when I can drive to Arcadia for Meizhou Dongpo. I’m not going to drive to Little Osaka for Tasty Noodle House when I can drive to San Gabriel or even Beverly Grove.

I have no problem paying for quality ethnic food, which my Costco Visa and my posting history here can attest to; but I’m also not going to be a fool with my money, either.

…and if you wish to engage in a fruitful conversation, then you should probably brush-up on your reading comprehension skills because nowhere did I attempt to make a point that people on the Westside can’t tolerate ethnic food–my point, quite clearly stated and even quoted by you, was:

“Most people west of downtown would have a hard time with the smells in a 99 Ranch, let alone a hawker centre and/or wet market.”

Which I then backed-up with evidence after your objection.

Now, I’ve never had any kind of problem with you on here previously, at least to my knowledge, and I certainly don’t wish to start one now. To say I’m quite confused at the source of your hostility and borderline ad-hominid attack towards me would be quite the understatement. Good day to you. :kissing_heart:

Well, that’s unfortunate and is certainly news to me. I have not maintained any personal grudges on my end. Cheers.

Customer service to match Gjusta’s.

Best roti canai I’ve had in a long time.

1 Like

does anyone else wonder where?

1 Like

Night+Market Song, of all places. They call it panang en neua.

2 Likes

Was doing some research on a Little Saigon restaurant and found a place that serves Singaporean Frog Porridge. Never had it.

Chao Dem
9754 Garden Grove Blvd
Garden Grove, CA

Thur-Sat open till 3am
2am on other days

1 Like

Tablecloth gives it away. Either N+M Song or Far East Plaza.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up!

i’m glad it’s obvious to you, but i imagine that i’m not the only for whom it wasn’t obvious.

Porridge sans the local sights (NSFW :warning:)

1 Like

Have me close my eyes, lead me to a table with my back to the menu/kitchen, put the food in front of me and tell me, “Just eat it and thank me later.”