SingleThread

I had high hopes for this place after the perfect four star review from Bauer, but unfortunately had a mixed experience. The presentation was outstanding and I really liked the little snacks before dinner, the salmon and the beef, but the other dishes were overwrought and had too much going on, the akabana kanpachi and foie gras were the worst offenders. Needed a pizza after dinner.

rooftop snacks

roof toto
single_thread_20170803_185207

table snacks

Akabana Kanpachi - santa rosa plum, amazake, ice plant, shiso and sweet potato vinegar

summer squash from the farm - scallop stuffed blossoms and courgette cream

ora king salmon “ibushi-gin” - shio koji vinaigrette, char roe, and myoga

poached foie gras - tea of last year’s tomatoes, tokyo turnips, and their greens
single_thread_20170820_125842

black cod and shimeji “fukkura-san” - leeks, vegetables from our farm, broth of young lettuces, and gyokuro tea

pacific rouge beef - noyeaux cream, komatsuna, bing cherries, morel mushroom, black truffle, and almond

sonoma grains - nettles, kasu-zuke, farro verge beignet, rib cap, and herbs from the garden

frozen peach - bay laurel grante, and blackberry consomme

pine nut ice cream - lemon basil mousse, raspberry compote, and plum

wagashi - lemon thyme, tomato and strawberry, mint and alpine strawberry

single_thread_20170803_213455

downstairs toto

SingleThread
131 N St
Healdsburg, CA 95448
(707) 723-4646

5 Likes

Bauer is particularly at his worst reviewing any cuisine involving Japanese, fusion Japanese / Japanese inspired, and pseudo Japanese.

Agreed, this place is rather underwhelming, and even the sake that were part of beverage pairing did not work that great (mostly a problem with the food not working with the sake).

2 Likes

Thanks for the warning on this place @PorkyBelly. Bummer! :frowning:

I had high hopes and was thinking about going, but you’ve saved me some money.

It’s sad that they can screw up foie gras and kanpachi. And hearing @beefnoguy’s experience also… good to know.

2 Likes

Let me clarify my remarks a bit.

My meal wasn’t terrible or bad at all. Visually everything was great and there were some tasty bites. I did not enjoy the beverage pairing and it did very little for me. Overall it just didn’t wow, which can be rather upsetting at that price point and whatever they are aspiring.

3 Likes

Bauer’s at his worst when an inconsistent (or worse) restaurant manages to snow him through special treatment.

1 Like

If you could eat all that and then go on to a pizza… there’s something missing in this story. Just sayin’. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Nice write up in the NYT. Very interesting background and experience for the chef/owner

The downstairs toilet appears to have achieved Enlightenment.

3 Likes

40 posts were split to a new topic: Of Tasting Menus and tasting menus

This sold out awfully quick.
$95 Farm Box while the restaurant is closed due to a venting system fire. Pick up only. Would have tried to order if they were shipping.

I see why it’s called SingleThread. it’s so much food that your pants will literally be hanging by a thread. I was so uncomfortably full before the dessert courses, and now I am probably gonna have to sleep sitting upright :sweat:

food was great. a few dishes were sensational, but a lot of dishes were just ok. no misses though. both the nightly and the non-alcoholic pairings were fantastic.

1 Like

I liked it when I went. Didn’t find it sensational, which is to say I think I agreed with your assessment.

Very good. Not in my hall of fame tier

1 Like

yup not in “hall of fame tier” is what I would categorize it as well. I would say that the service was much more casual and the dining environment was much warmer than Atelier Crenn, but the food and pairings at AC are better (both old and new menu).

I think if they dialled down the amount of food
to 70% of what it was, I would have enjoyed it infinitely more. I slept so badly and now I am still full :melting_face: the next morning. I legit could only eat half of the first dessert course and we got the mignardises packed to go.