Sirena (Little Italy)

:stuck_out_tongue:

For a minute there I thought @Plumeria said virgin …

I would hurry up - went by today around 7:30pm and it was empty beside three customers. With their simplification of the menu and valet parking they might bein their last stretch and might stay open for three more months

You may be right but I hope you’re wrong. There were no customers at all when we stopped by around 2:30 or so on Sunday. There’s very little foot traffic east of India. You have to be on a mission to find this place.

We enjoyed a very pleasant late lunch at Sirena today, and were thoroughly impressed. I had the Peruvian ceviche (“El Peruano”), which was excellent; a sophisticated medley of flavors and textures, including diced glazed sweet potatoes, corn nuts, and garlic, among other things. The menu simply says “white” fish, and today that was yellowtail (sometimes it’s halibut, we were told). Very fresh ingredients including the nicely marinated, tender fish. The marinade included a subtle but distinct curry background, and the heat from the chilies was just right. I think this may be the ceviche that ipse described in his OP. Not for everyone.

My companion ordered the yellowtail tiradito, which is also Peruvian. Unlike ceviche, the fish is cut into very thin slices (about 3/4” x 2” each) and coated with a tangy dark sauce (not marinated). Also unlike ceviche, the fish was arranged in a line on a flat plate (as opposed to a mound), with a swirl of sweet lemon sauce on the plate for contrast with the tangy sauce flavor, and for decoration.

The servings seemed small, but both dishes were very satisfying. Definitely first class. Still, we wanted something more, and so we each had a fish taco, which on Sundays are $2 each. Hard to pass that up! These were quite good, a nice size, and made with properly fresh fish. (Maybe still more yellowtail; I couldn’t tell and we didn’t ask.) Alas, while my companion did ok, my tortilla failed.

We’ll definitely return, probably with some regularity. I went once before, but that was before the reincarnation. I hope more people discover this place, which, just one block off of busy India St, is unfortunately almost invisible.

Sirena does really well with ceviche. I know I enjoyed mine.

I’m really sorry to see Sirena go. They were in a very difficult location in the LI area, off the beaten path in a somewhat obscure spot. The few times I was there, the food was good and I/we enjoyed it, but the place was pretty empty. Honkman was quite accurate in his estimate of how long they’d last!

Yeah, it was inevitable.

I am going to miss their ceviche Wednesdays.

I may have seen it advertised at the restaurant, but I don’t recall “ceviche Wednesdays”. My loss,

Both I and my DH liked their ceviches. There was a signature character to their offerings that I can’t put my finger on, but that we liked.