So what's your favorite Italian food in San Diego?

You are right that I have yet little idea about the craft breweries here in the north east. So far I can only very limited comment on the distribution system which is at a first glimps lousy. We went to one very well regarded liquor shop close to our hotel and the beer selection was lousy especially if you look for single bottles (three different bottles)and not six packs. We tried so far only one local IPA (forgot the brewery) and it was underwhelming at best

At least if you go to a random Italian place close to your hotel (because it is late and you didn’t have time for any research) or need a non chain pizza delivery at 11 pm because your plane arrived really late you will find very average (Italian) restaurants as in SD. (And I know it is a very small and unusual sample size but the Italian restaurant was a bit diappointing as they made the pasta in house but the final dishes were quite average (couldn’t compete with Bencotto or Cucina Basilica) and Solare (which I would put on a very high level even compared to places in LA or SF is on a completely different level)

Love Piacere Mio, and Bice and Cafe Calabria (but very limited menu). I have also enjoyed Buona Forchetta, but have yet to try anything except the pizzas.

Do try a salad sometime at Buona Forchetta. I can’t recall which ones we had, but they were excellent. Just pick one that sounds good – it probably will be.

The sardine salad is terrific, just hold the Parmesan.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve got to get down there again, soon.

Sorry to see that Bice is closed. .
RIP

Me too, although I can understand their reasons for closing. Also, I think that the Officine Buona Forchetta venture is of greater interest right now. (In fact I think I read that there’s another location in the works in addition to the one that recently opened at Liberty Station.)

That is sad, indeed, but I too am guilty of not going for fine dining that often.

Plumeria
August 3 |

Sorry to see that Bice is closed. .
RIP sandiego.eater.com
BICE Ristorante Ending Nine Year Run in the Gaslamp
The Italian restaurant announces its immediate shutter Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
In Reply To

MsVerde
December 18 |

Love Piacere Mio, and Bice and Cafe Calabria (but very limited menu). I have also enjoyed Buona Forchetta, but have yet to try anything except the pizzas. Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

There may be some future openings that will change the scene, but right now I think of “fine dining” and “Gaslamp” as mutually exclusive, with only a few exceptions. It’s not that fine dining itself has a shortage of patrons in SD, just not in that district.

I really like Illando (sort of newish) in Little Italy.

Good pasta Bolognese, and the polpette is another highlight.

Not fine dining, but fine neighborhood dining. And that’s okay.

I’ve been wanting to get to the sit down restaurant, but really enjoyed the simple slices. Wish parking in Little Italy wasn’t so challenging.

There is easy valet parking in Little Italy

I guess I’m cheap. For the valet fee and tip, I could be having dessert or a glass of wine.

Well, if you’re really “cheap” (as you say) then park at the lot for the Office Depot on Broadway/Kettner, and walk up Columbia to Little Italy.

Park in Old Town and take the short trolley ride if valet parking bothers you that much.

I just prefer to patronize less hectic locations. Long walks to the car in that part of town involve homeless encounters, also.

There’s a government-owned parking structure that’s open to the public after (I think) 5 pm. It has limited hours, though – maybe closing at 11 or 12 pm. The entrance is on Kettner between Beech and Cedar. The exit is to Cedar. I haven’t personally used this facility, so it would be of interest to all, I think, if someone has details.