Straight Outta Shinjuku - Old School, Mom & Pop Japanese Pub with Oden! SHOYA [Review + Pics]

Hi @Bookwich,

Fried Smelt is good! :slight_smile:

Ah, I should be more accurate and just call it a “broth”, but I mean the broth from their large oden pot (you can see it as Natsuko-san is poaching various items being ordered). But “broth” or “dashi” doesn’t sound as descriptive, so I wanted to clarify it for those that might not know. :sweat_smile: Thanks!

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

Many things here are untried but look good to me! But the grilled meat, fish and the poor little pregnant fried smelts (:disappointed_relieved:) are right up my alley… That jidori chicken :heart_eyes:.

I think oden broth is a helpful description for some. It’s making a distinction about a broth’s origin; like pot liquor from greens, or starchy water from pasta.

Okay, peeps’. We were taught there’s no such thing as a dumb question. So here it goes. What the heck is Agedashi? I had it down as a tofu preparation. But here it is as an eggplant dish… so?

And Shunji’s Agedashi Tomato (my SO’s Fav dish at Shunji, FYI).

My understanding is Agedashi = something fried (age) in a broth (dashi).

Most common (at least in USA) is, as you say tofu, but there are clearly others.

I am sure others with more knowledge will also pipe in to either help you, or correct me.

[quote=“CiaoBob, post:43, topic:5155”]
I am sure others with more knowledge will also pipe in
[/quote]Nope, no need. It’s pretty much what I thought. Thanks for clarifying!

…So much to learn.

Preach, Dr. CB!

Hi @TheCookie,

I hope you get a chance to try it. :slight_smile: And the Omusubi (Rice Ball) is another wonderful example of great steamed rice (made with pride).

And yes, the Jidori Chicken is pretty spectacular. :grin:

Re: Agedashi, @CiaoBob’s explanation is spot on. :slight_smile: “age” (ah-geh) (hard “G” sound) meaning “fried” it’s also the last part of the word for the famous Japanese fried chicken dish, “kara-age”.

Thanks Chowseeker1999 -

Yes, I caught the ‘‘age’’ = something fried. Good learning today :slight_smile:. Thanks for calling my attention to rice in your reports too.

:tomato: :eggplant: :stew:

Oden is not high end, but simple everyday comfort food (perfect for cold weather). The ideal sake pairing here is a well structured Futsushu (common everyday cheap sake, very low polish rates), Honjozo, or a good umami rich Junmai at the most, most likely warmed/hot.

Thanks @beefnoguy. Great advice. :slight_smile:

I’ll have to ask them next time if they serve warm / hot sake (and if the 3 Sakes offered are ideal for that or not).

I see a partial Yelp photo of the sake menu uploaded 2015, and the sakes are Karatamba, Hakkaisan, and Kenbishi.

Can’t go wrong with Hakkisan as it is a known staple.

But the Kenbishi might be the best of the three (it is also the most expensive) from a more traditional profile and enjoyment perspective, and also excellent warmed. It will be either one of two bottles from the lineup (Honjozo or Junmai)

Hi @beefnoguy,

Thanks. The latest sake menu offerings are this:

• Michinoku Onikoroshi - Honjozo Sake (Miyagi, Japan)
  • Suigei Tokubetsu Junmai Sake
  • Karatamba - Honjozo Sake (Hyogo, Japan) - What we had on this last visit.
  • Hakkaisan (didn’t look at the bottle, but it was listed at $60)

I’ve had Suigei before but it was about 4 years ago, I remember it was enjoyable. :slight_smile: