Street Food: A New Netflix series

“Street Food” carries us to the opposite end of the dining spectrum from the “Chef’s Table” series. But with the same gorgeous cinematography.

Congrats to my man David Gelb and his team! Looks like it’s gonna be another hit!

5 Likes

Has it been released?

Trailer just debuted about an hour ago.
Watch it on Netflix
(Disclaimer: I have no commercial interest in Netflix or the production)

1 Like

Coming April 26.

You didn’t invest in Netflix in 2002? smh

Still renting VHS tapes. FML.

1 Like

Nice! More opportunities to go hungry while watching!

This Chinese documentary (Flavorful Origins) on Netflix focusing on the food culture of Chaosan (Chiu Chow) is very well done too… the episode of goose and marination/simmered eats is great.

2 Likes

Flavorful Origins was great. I really enjoyed it. Do they do other regions?

“A Bite of China” does a survey of many regional cuisines of China…

1 Like

I watched the first two episodes of Street Food last night. Bangkok and Osaka were just terrific. This is very fine filmmaking.

2 Likes

More places like that first one should get Michelin stars.

every episode has been excellent so far—I just finished the Korean one last night. Even though many of the people featured started cooking out of necessity, their drive, dedication to their craft and hard work at perfecting their dishes is inspiring. I’m really enjoying learning about all of these folks, their culinary traditions and culture. It’s nice break from watching tweezers and tasting menus in pristine settings.

2 Likes

Watching the Vietnam episode now and wonder what the reason could be that the subtitles all say “Ho Chi Min City” but the English narration says Saigon.

Subtitle translations done in Westminster lol.

2 Likes

@J_L is not entirely wrong. There are some folks who are either from the south or are related to people from the south and they are staunchly on Team Saigon. You’d never catch anyone in my family use anything but Saigon.

2 Likes

I made mistake of watching with the English translation—my ears hurt like i was listening to someone scratching a chalkboard the entire time. Much, much, better after turning that off to listen to the original voices and just reading the subtitles.

I just watched the Osaka episode, so now I am an expert in affordable Japanese street food.

2 Likes

Trying to Macgyver my propane tank to become a flamethrower now…

I started watching Street Food: Latin America last night. I’m definitely going to try making this:

2 Likes