Summer fun… . .eating and drinking in SD!

Love the summer and late fall in my hometown of SD…

Nothing like a turkey, swiss, avo on rye from the Cheese Shop in LJ Shores after swimming and boogie boarding…
Caroline’s in the Shores for brekky or lunch…
Jeff’s burger’s after swimming with sarong and barefoot, next to 7/11.

Piatti’s for lunch or dinner…Galaxy Taco…
The Shores at LJ Beach and tennis club gets overlooked but decent food with oceanfront patio.

Downtown LJ…

Dukes for HH…
George’s at the Cove patio…sea bass tacos and a cold :beer:
Nine-Ten for lunch or dinner
George’s Modern for one of the best high end dinners Evah…
Jose’s Courtroom…nachos and marg’s.

Bird Rock/Pacific Beach…

Bahia’s
Oscars Mex Seafood…da bomb!
Lahaina bar…love love love the beachfront divey bar!
World Famous
Cafe Athena for Greek…lunch or dinner
The Patio
JRDN
Rocky’s Crown pub…surly bartenders but one of the best cheeseburgers…cash only
Cass Street Bar and Grill…the best Oriental Chicken Salad
Mr. Frostie :icecream:

Loved to know you’re faves?

:cocktail::beers::icecream::watermelon::bicyclist::surfer:

My brother was a bartender/bouncer at Jose’s in the '90’s. Good times in that place. And yes, margs and nachos were great.

1 Like

Sure we both know each other. .
Good times indeed. .lived down the street from Jose’s and that was a lifesaver!
:burrito::beer:

1 Like

You might have known my brother. I was only in a few times when I came down to visit. He also worked at La Jolla Brewing Co. I still make the jalapeno/soy/ginger/beer marinated steaks they used to have, except I use it on tri tip instead of ribeye.

1 Like

Rooftop terrace on my building.

Talisker 18, neat, in one hand.

A Bolivar in the other.

Taking in the sights and sounds of the Big Bay Boom.

July 4th heaven.

1 Like

The food smells along the Midway at the Del Mar Fair, and then getting something really crappy for my body to eat.
Hot, greasy and salty Tastee chips fits the bill perfectly.
Daybreak at Del Mar, a glass of Chandon and an egg sandwich, watching the ponies train at 7:00, is a great way to start a weekend.
Sunday brunch out on the patio at the Brig Del Mar during racing season. You can still watch the horses train, and then some of the racing crowd rolls in and the place gets rocking. The only way it could be better is if the Brig had an OTB set up.

1 Like

Dang Ipse…love how you roll…
Torching up a Romeo y Julieto this weekend with the boys.

:metal:

Nothing says beginning of summer than the Del Mar Fair, ponies at Del Mar and Bully’s …Brig…Reds…Fish OB…Fidel’s HH…

Love catching waves at 23rd street…my old crib.

Love your list Lil Stevie…North County Rocks!
Couldn’t imagine living anywhere south of LJ…

Sorry Fakey…Mission Hills is lovely tho.
:sunrise:

This thread about SD includes a lot of Orange County (north of the 52).

1 Like

You mean, South LA?

2 Likes

Fakey, you crack me up with your own little world…
The sphere of your world is closing in. .
Do you get cold sweats when you head out to Super Sergio’s?
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Lil Stevie or other blessed ones North of the 52…
Anything new up North Coastal beachfront that has good cocktails and food?
:smile_cat:

Looking forward to the opening of Tasting Room Del Mar on the 10th. And even more so to Chef Pascal Lorange’s, Crudo, grand opening at the end of May. Crudo

1 Like

It’s probably not good enough for the Chowhound nobility, but I like to stop at Amplied Aleworks (aka California Kebob) in PB to enjoy a good beer, kebob, and a sliver of the ocean. Or as of late Wonderland or South Beach (for the lobster or shrimp tacos) in OB because both have good views of the water and decent tap lists.

Why the SD coastline has a dearth of pubs and cafes with ocean views always frustrates me.

1 Like

There are things waiting in the wings but not much has opened yet. RISD told you about the Tasting Room opening in that small flower shop on Camino Del Mar. Then there will be Vigilante Brewing opening across from the fairgrounds on Jimmy Durante. The cool thing there will be bocce courts outside, which reminds me of the bars up on the hill during my grad school days in St. Louis. Up in Cardiff, the renovation of the old Beach House location seems to be moving along at a snail’s pace, not sure what the holdup is. Finally in Carlsbad, Bluewater’s remodel of Fish House Vera Cruz seems to be moving along. I am not sure if they got the ok to put a rooftop deck on, I know that they wanted to do that.

1 Like

Crudo looks fantastic. .
Can’t wait and that is close to me…

What’s going in at the old Beach House?
When you’d sit upstairs at the bar, the acoustics were such that you could hear diners conversations perfectly…

I’m a Kraken gal…
I LOVE that place. . .best dive bar besides Pac Shores in OB!
:beer:

Vigilante Brewery in Del Mar is going to be fantastic as well…

Not sure what the hold up is on the Beach House. Don’t know if it is Coastal Commission issues or money or both. I think that the building was pretty beat up on the inside and it might cost the owners a lot more to renovate and bring it up to code than they anticipated. I still can’t figure out why the owners of PCG would want two different restaurants right next to each other.

1 Like

Coastal Commission is like the BOE in power.
Competition, I presume…
Better to cannibalize your own.

Tidal would be a good time.…especially, after water skiing or sailing around the bay…