Summer fun… . .eating and drinking in SD!

Went to the Marine Room in La Jolla for a bottle of bubbly and to watch the waves lap onto the floor to ceiling glass…

Never realized how many Ashkenazi men like to hang at the restaurant…
Must be on a lot of gotta go see tourist Slavic sites.

Never know…one of those scruffy short sleeved guys could be loaded with tons of cash…can’t judge a book by its cover…for all those cougars in the den at the bar!

I gave a cursory glance over to them, since it was like seeing wonder bread for the first time!

It was great to see all the Leopard sharks, milling about, out front…harmless houndsharks that are great to watch with some bubbly!

One of my favorite SD summer activities is to go swimming (snorkeling) with the sharks (Smooth Hound Gray, Leopard, and Shovelnose Guitar), right off of the Marine Room. It is so damn cool to swim with hundreds of those guys all around you, although it’s a bit unnerving in low visibility when a 6+ footer appears out of nowhere next to you! . Also really amazing to snorkel the reefs north of the Scripps Pier with all of the Rockfish, Sheepshead, eels, and Garibaldi (adults-deep orange and juvenile - bright orange with neon blue markings). Then go grab an order of totopos and some tacos at Galaxy Taco!

1 Like

Never knew that the Marine Room was such a happening place…

And, umm, did you drink that whole bottle of bubbly by yourself?

2 Likes

LOVE snorkeling with all the leopard sharks and I like to either jump off the clam with gear and go around Goldfish Point to the Cove and then back to the caves and head over to the Shores…
I like having lunch on the patio of LJ Shores with a power lunch with a cold beer and then rinse and repeat…

North of Scripps, there is a huge hammerhead population, coming up from the canyon and when the waves at Black’s are going off, we’d all shred and so glad when the dolphins would show up, since the great whites and hammerheads are their only known predator…

They would circle us and it was a real ‘Flipper’ moment!
:dolphin:

LOL…
I bet it really goes off when it’s Republic of Albania 2 for 1 night!
Yeah…I brought the old ball and chain with me…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Not as many garibaldi’s as there used to be…that’s why Avalon is so great to snorkel, since there are a myriad of those cute guys and when you bring frozen peas and release the bag, you are surrounding by a chomping sea of orange love…so cool that they are our State Fish.

Rockfish is one of my fave’s and South of Windnsea, great place to cast off the cliffs…

Still haven’t got to Galaxy Taco…I’m SO not into blue tortillas…can I bring my own?

The blue tortillas are fantastic. You will be a convert. Especially the the blue corn tortilla chip totopos! Interestingly, they use yellow corn chips for their guacamole.

You back from Asia?

I guess Trey can do no wrong and I’m sure that applies to blue corn tortillas as well.
:hot_pepper:

I have no idea what you are talking about when you refer to Ashkenazi men as a reference to Slovaks. Ashkenazi is normally used to refer to Ashkenazi Jews, of which there are an estimated 6 million in the U.S.

Yes , ‘Ashkenazi is normally used to refer to Ashkenazi Jews’.

Good majority of the Ashkenazi Jews live in the Slavic countries of Eastern Europe.
USA has about 6 million, residing in the US.

The 13 countries considered to be official Slavic states include the Czech Republic, Bosnia, Serbia, Poland, Slovakia, Belarus, Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Croatia, Slovenia and Montenegro.

Already back in Taiwan again. Another night market last night! This weekend I’m on a search for Taiwan master bladesmith forged kitchen knives. Custom made hand forged kitchen knives are another (expensive) obsession of mine.

1 Like

Sweet. . .wonder if our beloved Ipse, has any gems for you in the island.
Keep us posted and start a thread on food finds in Taiwan!
Have a blast Toph!
:kiss:

Thanks, starting to post some cool pics over on the Asia board.

1 Like

Staying at La Costa with the kids next weekend. Need help with some dinner suggestions that are fairly close. It looks like we’ll probably have to drive down to Del Mar or Solana for better options. I don’t see many options nearby.

1 Like

Good farm to table organic food in or near La Costa that wont break the bank with the kids . . .

TinLeaf
Bushfire Grill
Beach Plum

And Fish 101 in Luecadia

Thanks RhonelyInsanediego.

Ask to stay in the newer rooms…

Hit up Jakes Del Mar for lunch…oceanfront and valet, which is key…decent food.

I usually have my suit on and hang at the gorgeous beach in front, while I’m parked at the valet which is a nightmare to find a parking spot.
Great beach.

The Brigantine for fish tacos Del Mar for happy hour.
Hit up the Del Mar racetrack…kids welcome.

Roberto’s Taco Shop in Solana Beach or Carmel Valley…one of the best for carne asada burrito, tacos, quesadilla with guac.

La Jolla Shores…Piattis or Jeff’s burgers
LJ Village…Duke’s Bahia taco shop in Bird Rock.
LJ Shores is one of the best beaches to swim…Cheese Shop for sandwiches!
Caroline’s at Scripps pier for breakfast/lunch…

Bull Taco in Cardiff.
VG donuts

Have fun and these are great places with the kids.

Thanks Plumeria.

Didn’t know La Costa had new rooms but will definitely ask this time.

We are going to bet the ponies at Del Mar, maybe twice depending on how daddy does on day 1. Roberto’s and Brigantine should perfect with the kids.

1 Like

Haven’t stayed for awhile but the ‘newer’ rooms, are the ones that are NOT along the golf course and closer to Deepak Chopra’s center…unless they have upgraded those rooms.

Red Tracton’s across from the track, is excellent for drink and food in the bar…lots of big whales from the track…only go to the bar…old school classic.
Tony Jacal’s for Mex up the street in Eden Gardens/Solana Beach for that Mex craving after the :racehorse:
On the way to the Brig, overlooking the track…everyday happy hour with the fish tacos are a great deal and you can upgrade your fish to Halibut, Salmon or what is fresh.

If you get a chance, Rancho Valencia resort in Rancho Santa Fe is one of my fave’s at the Pony Room on the patio for lunch.
Stop at the famous Chino’s farm stand, where all the celeb chef’s get their produce.
Gorgeous but pricey.

+1 on Tony’s Jacal. A true San Diego institution that has been family owned and operated for 70+ years (since 1946). Bing Crosby and his cronies used to love to eat and drink here after a day at the track, so be sure to check out all the old memorabilia/pictures in the bar area. So cool! :sunglasses:

Turkey is a specialty here and all their items are great. Turkey Nachos are a must. Good shrimp burrito and chile rellenos as well. They don’t take reservations, but the wait goes by pretty quickly, especially with a cocktail in the bar area!

1 Like