Supermarket Ice Cream

That’s our go to. It’s not surprising. old fashioned vanilla over regular vanilla tho

@PorkyBelly took me a while but the coconut shoyu caramel ice cream is fantastic. Love it. Great recommendation.

1 Like

I don’t get it, why wouldn’t Baskin Robbins just make actual pints like everybody else? I know it’s not illegal or fraudulent since the packaging doesn’t say pint but it feels icky.

2 Likes

I guess you haven’t looked at Haagen Dasz ice cream “pints” for the last 4-5 years ?

2 Likes

I don’t like where this is going. Is anybody on the board a lawyer? We need to start a class action.

2 Likes

HD went to 14 oz at least 12 years ago and B&J roasted them at the time.

No good lawyer will take this case.

2 Likes

As someone who only likes a few spoonfuls of ice cream at a time, I actually don’t mind the smaller size. ::running and ducking::

3 Likes

Earlier this year, Tillamook and many other manufacturers downgraded their 1.75 qt to 1.5. It’s all about keeping the price point at a certain level.

2 Likes

I love checking the cost per oz listing on grocery store price tags when unsure about what to choose. Makes my decisions feel calculated.

10 Likes

Is it already this long ago - damn time flies

I was shocked when I was holding the two pints side by side. This is an arms race. What’s next a 12 ounce “pint”? We need to put an end to this madness.

3 Likes

Imagine how a Brit feels when they come to the states and orders a pint of beer :joy:

4 Likes

I think gallons are smaller too right?

Shrinkage in coffee beans killing me.

1 Like

Van Leewan mint ice cream is maybe the best supermarket mint…when it’s not icy which is all the time. Either it melts before Whole Foods gets it to the freezers or it melts in transport. Either way, Van Leewans has a quality issue.

McConnell’s has the best version of salted caramel and plain vanilla. BTW, if a supermarket ice cream vanilla is not custard/yolk based, it’ll be bad…speaking directly to Ben/Jerry’s.

Talenti is repulsive. Almost all of them.

Marianne’s and Lourd’s oregon blackberry and burgundy cherry is really addictive. It’s cheap and simple, but it’s the one ice cream I can just keep going and going.

Thifty’s Rainbow Sherbert is a nostalgic favorite.

Jenis and Humphrey Slocombe - I haven’t enjoyed any of their whacky flavors. Although the Dolly Parton version looks interesting.

Fiorello’s Valhrona chocolate is my go to chocolate-ice cream.

Graeter’s raspberry/chocolate is very good. But Graeters made me a believer that there is such a thing as too much chocolate. It’s a once-in-a-while type of ice cream.

Haagan-daaz’s new line of spirit infused ice creams are all good.

4 Likes

Best supermarket ice cream (especially their unusual flavors) and also really great to make at home from her book

3 Likes

This is why I buy at the Conservatory for Coffee and tea in Culver city. I still get 1lb / 16oz for my 16-18$. For my taste any incremental improvement at some of the better known shops are not worth the bump in price for less coffee IMHO. YMMV and all that.

2 Likes

Available here on the east coast

2 Likes