Supermarket Ice Cream

Too much candy in Chunky Monkey.

Please explain what recipes and equipment you use so that your ice cream is not hard after it’s been packed and frozen.

Take recipes out of Jeni’s or My name is Ice Cream for example. And it is not soft but also not hard as a stone but still scoopable out if the freezer

1 Like

So it’s a sort of home version of commercial ice cream, with different ingredients and extra work to get a creamy texture right out of the freezer. Fine if you like that, but there’s no need to be such a dick about it.

This is the kind of traditional recipe I prefer:

Lebovitz makes one of Jeni’s recipes:

1 Like

Traditional homemade ice cream made with top-quality ingredients, like the Lebovitz recipe I linked to, is hard after it’s been packed and frozen. That doesn’t mean it’s low-quality or handled incorrectly.

2 Likes

Stabilizers are used for a few reasons - one is to restrict ice crystal growth during storage and another is to add some extra viscosity in the base which produces smaller air bubbles during churning. Both things help the mouthfeel/texture. Temperature abuse is probably the main culprit of complaints regarding iciness/off-texture of ice cream which I see all the time as employees bring out a pallet of ice cream which slowly thaws as they are restocking the freezers. I suspect that McConnell’s added a stabilizer as a way to reduce texture complaints. You can have the best product in the world but if the way commercial distribution works has a negative impact on your product, you have to find a solution to overcome it.

4 Likes

Actually I have, and I deemed the result wholly inadequate and unnecessary.

I’ve answered your questions, and I’ve explained why I have the opinion that I do – why do you care so much to continue arguing with me over my personal opinions and preferences?

:rofl: you sound like the one who has very little relevant knowledge or experience. I regularly make my own ice cream, and I know how a pure recipe turns out.

Have a nice day, and please stop attempting to engage me on this nonsense.

I’m certain that you’re right on this one, which is why I’ve been careful to specify that I can’t comment on their Scoop Shop product, which is likely made using different recipes.

That said, Häagen-Dazs is on the same store shelves and doesn’t seem to have this problem without using stabilizers in theirs…

I guess having twice the butterfat of most other brands keeps Haagen Dazs smooth and creamy? Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

My freezer has been on the fritz. A lot of issues with the temperature. The other night the three pints turned into basically liquid. Ben N Jerry, Baskin Robbins and Trader Joe’s. After the pints refroze I tested out the ice cream. I like the term temperature abuse that @WesSabi used. This probably mimicked a lot of the temperature abuse that pints go through.

Long story short. The Ben N Jerry point is almost inedible. Like frozen ice chips. The Baskin Robbins is much better. Almost like nothing happened. The Trader Joe’s was also fine. I’m not super familiar with the science part of this discussion but I assume it’s due to these ingredients not included in Ben N Jerry.

Baskin Robbins has stabilizer emulsifier blend whatever that means.

Trader Joe’s has xantham gum.

7 Likes

These people calculated its overrun at 31%.

Per FDA regulations, ice cream must contain at least 10% butterfat. Per the label, Haagen-Dazs’s vanilla has 15.6% fat (20 grams per 128-gram serving), which is similar to other “super-premium” brands.

Yeah, I believe Häagen-Dazs has their own distribution network (I’ve definitely seen Häagen-Dazs branded trucks around) so they have better control over their inventory.

1 Like

McConnell’s claims an “industry-highest 18+%” butterfat and an “industry-lowest 10%” overrun. They say:

If we’re being honest, it would be easier to buy a pre-made ice cream mix with less cream and more milk. It would be more profitable to whip extra air into our ice cream (it’s called “overrun”), and cut our cost of goods with tapioca starch, carrageenen or guar gum, like everyone else.

However, per the labels, their packaged pints do contain tapioca starch, and the vanilla is only 13.8% fat (18 grams per 130-gram serving).

They label the pints by volume, so it would be interesting to check the overrun by weighing one.

2 Likes

Unless you’re a sherbet/sorbet guy and like punchy flavors.

I personally am not a fan of Haagen-Däzs (or Fosselman’s, for that matter).

Thank you, @robert ! I didn’t realize how hypocritical their recent addition of tapioca starch is, but you found their blog post knocking the practice they are now guilty of implementing!

Small review on H-Mart’s Brown sugar boba ice cream bars from someone who barely gets Boba Milk Tea drinks and prefers iced water to drink.

It’s a small bar, though it’s very sweet. My mouth still feels uncomfortable being coated by its sugariness after an hour of finishing this ice cream bar. I liked chewing on the Boba parts.

It costs $7.99 for a 4-pack at H-Mart, though some Costco has their version for $12.99 for a 12-pack.

I also have O’s Bubble Frozen Instant Boba Pack - Brown Sugar that I haven’t tried yet.

I like this one. Have recently seen more scoop shops with mint cookies n cream as opposed to mint chocolate chip. This is a good trend. The mint meshes well with the cookies. Might be the only item that I’ve recommended from Milk Bar.

6 Likes

I will have to try this soon.

1 Like

Which grocery store is carrying this?

Brea Whole Foods. It was on sale too for $4.49 I think.

1 Like

seeing lots of mIlkbar stuff at 99c stores.

1 Like