Sushi I-NABA - OOE Omakase

I wish they would have linked back to this thread to give you real props, @J_L.

2 Likes

Eater would have gotten major props had they reported on the Toto situation.

6 Likes

:-1:t3: For eater

Reserved 4 seats at the counter for lunch with friends.

6 Likes

Since they have a $5 BYO policy, what sake bottles are you going to indulge in? This is a great opportunity for you to discover mastering your own pairings!

1 Like

Nice, enjoy. Great opportunity to bang at fwd for some oysters and scallops beforehand or maybe a key lime pie for an after lunch bang.

7 Likes

I saw that. You mean pick one myself? :relaxed: I was going to look on the Sake thread and also ask for a rec. :slight_smile: We’ll be with a friend (lady) who isn’t a big drinker. Maybe something a little more fruit or floral, but not bold?

Our options will be slightly limited. Work & Tday stuff will prevent us from trekking to K&L. But I spoke to Kerry Tamura at the Animal Sake Dinner about peeps’ concerns with John & Pete’s. He said he kicked butt about the case and goes frequently to check the situation. The guys at John & Pete’s said Kerry even checks the hinges to make sure the door is closing properly. They are excited about the success and say they’re following his guidelines, so…

Perfect. We considered taking them to FWD. But I’m not a big trekker and being in the area (their ‘hood), I don’t want to pass up the opportunity to go to Sushi I-NABA. Key lime pie for dessert it is!

1 Like

K&L is really your best bet at this rate…hopefully you can carve time to and it will be most worthwhile.

Otherwise:

22 minutes one way from Sushi iNaba to Mitsuwa Torrance

or 24 mins ish from Mar Vista Mitsuwa

and roughly 20 ish mins east to Marukai (Torrance)

Not entirely clear what’s available inventory wise but if you scout there in advance, post pictures, be happy to give some recs. You might be able to find Nanbu Bijin Tokubetsu Junmai at Mitsuwa (and Marukai very likely), and maybe even the Nanbu Bijin Daiginjo at Marukai Torrance (at least they had it 2 years ago when I took a look, you can always call ahead).

If John & Pete’s is your only means of access… Dewazakura Mountain Cherry Daiginjo, Akitabare Suirakuten Daiginjo are super easy to drink and great to get into the mood. If the friend can appreciate and enjoy and you want to splurge, Dewazakura Yukimanman Daiginjo aged five years but crystal clear liquid ($109.99 at J&P, $99 at K&L) is addicting and smooth.

Wine House near Shunji might be another option if that’s closer, but I have no idea of their sake storage and handling.

1 Like

See, now these will work because they’re south and kind of on the way. K&L is north. It’s actually not far, but traffic in the area is so hairy that at times it takes 15 minutes to get 4 miles. I can already hear the traffic immune FTCs groaning… shush.

Anyway, I’ll call ahead, because I would love to try the Nanbu Bijin Tokubetsu Junmai again or try the Nanbu Bijin Daiginjo for the first time… or vice versa… which is this? Mori-san shared a glass with us at Shiki in BH.

Oh, no, no… It will not only fail to impress this friend it won’t even register. I’ll save that rec for when my sweetie and I are on our own.

Thanks @beefnoguy!

3 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

You had the Daiginjo version. :slight_smile: Looking forward to your report back. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh nice. It was fantastic.

I suggest you pick up both the Daiginjo and the Tokubetsu Junmai if you see them in one location (e.g. Marukai). Just in case your friend, you know…decides to drink more than she normally does and falls in love with them.

Start with the Daiginjo and have that with the appetizer/small plates, then pop open the Junmai for the sushi and also try it with anything grilled or stewed or in soup. Better yet, have both side by side. Try to finish the Daiginjo, the Junmai you can probably keep for a few more days. I’m sure the chef(s) would be delighted to help taste too.

Or only open the Daiginjo, keep the Junmai nearby…then decide if you need it now or later.

The alternative is to bring a cooler bag with you and just buy the Born Muroka Nama Genshu Junmai Daiginjo (very easy to drink but sip slowly and chase down with water, it has 19% alcohol, wine drinkers love this one too) which will likely be available at Mitsuwa or Nijiya. Then keep it in an ice bucket when you get to the restaurant.

2 Likes

Okay, apparently I’m not good with the geography of the southern part of my county. Husband says Torrance is big and past our destination and we’re better off going to K&L. So, since I cannot seem to get @beefnoguy excited about John & Pete’s that’s what we’ll do. Any recs? :blush:

I like all this advice!

I definitely intended to do this, even if we didn’t drink both, especially the Daiginjo which seems harder to find.

John and Pete’s?

Trimbach Riesling Alsace Cuvee Frederic Emile 2008…

Hmmm oh you mean sake…

Akitabare Koshiki Junzukuri Junmai
Akitabare Suirakuten Daiginjo
Dewazakura Mountain Cherry Daiginjo
Tedorigawa Ikka Na Onna Daiginjo
Wakatake Junmai Daiginjo

3 Likes

Yah, we’ll go to K&L after all. :wink: But thanks for future J&P’s Sake and Riesling recs. They’re so close and convenient!

1 Like

LOL. Ok great you are going to K&L! When is your reservation?

If you have 10 days in advance, order this from Redwood City and have it shipped to Hollywood

Tenju Chokaisan "Mt. Chokai" Junmai Daiginjo Sake (720ml) - SKU 1059357 or see if you can find it at Whole Foods (they have this in NorCal Whole Foods). Keep it chilled.

Other choices

https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=996002

https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1230373

Wakatake Onikoroshi "Demon Slayer" Junmai Daiginjo Sake (720 ml) - SKU 996109 (very easy good intro for beginners, perfect for sushi and sashimi as well, goes well with slightly saltier fare too)

Kuro Kabuto "Samurai Warrior's Black Armor Helmet" Junmai Daiginjo Sake (720ml) - SKU 1073498 (killer QPR for this Junmai Daiginjo, pick one up anyway as a backup or drink some other time in the future, keep it chilled then try lightly chilled, enjoy)

Enjoy and let us know how they go.

2 Likes

this thread is so elite i’m dying.

Wish I wasn’t so broke from my Tokyo trip this summer to hit some top level LA spots up.

Anyone want to sponsor me and become my sushi mentor?

2 Likes

Uh, it’s the other way around. Padawans pay for their master’s meals.

3 Likes