Sushi I-NABA - OOE Omakase

Only six seats so reservations only on resy.

1 Like

Oh right. Walk-in probably only applies to lunch.

1 Like

Ok got it, Resy it is. thanks all.

I enjoyed my meal, wide Neta selection

Highlight - Kani miso tofu

Highlight - 10D aged kanpachi

Highlight - Konowata w shredded scallops

Highlight - Hokkaido Botan Ebi

Highlight - Stuffed katsuo

Highlight - Awabi

7 Likes

Highlight - Kohada

Highlight - all his crab courses were excellent, such sweeties

Highlight - Shako

10 Likes

Suigei Tokubetsu Junmai (box) Suigei Tokubetsu Junmai "Drunken Whale"

Very dry, not for beginners and I think maybe better pairing with cooked dishes with some grease and fat. Not hard to find in supermarkets. The expensive more polished sake are harder to come by.

The one in the ice bucket is Otokoyama Tokubetsu Junmai

Never had the Otokoyama but it’s from a mass producer and you can easily find it at most Nijiya and probably quite a few Asian supermarkets at least in NorCal.

Both are definitely low cost options (even lower for wholesale accessibility), but personally not my ideal choices for sushi.

3 Likes

I agree @beefnoguy. Thanks for the report @Sgee. :slight_smile: Looks like a great meal. But I was surprised as well (like @beefnoguy). Suigei is commonly found across various middling to decent Izakayas locally, it’s definitely drinkable, dry, but I was surprised it came in such a clean, nice-looking box comparatively. We weren’t really fans of Otokoyama Tokubetsu Junmai when we tried it a few years back, seems like an off-pairing if using it for sushi.

1 Like

@Chowseeker1999 @beefnoguy :smiley: I showed up without any libations and fortunately this group of other diners were kind enough to share what they brought with me. A bit surprised from your descriptions, wonder if the Japanese are generally less spendy vs. us Americans

Anyway, the highlights of the meal Kani miso tofu, konowata ( salted sea urchin innards) with scallops, 10 day aged kanpachi, Hokkaido botan ebi (creamier texture vs SB shrimp), shako, Abalone poached 7hrs w sake & sparkling water - very tender and flavorful no salt necessary, kohada, snow crab, hizu (not pictured) - cartilage from salmon head seasoned with vinegar. I was completely baffled by this, I initially thought it looked like sea cucumber. The crab items were consistently excellent, so very sweet! Loved the beautiful dinnerware, some of them reminded me of one’s I’ve seen at SGO. Appears he takes pride in them, I noticed him carefully aligning the pink blush on the bowl & it’s cover (pictured above) before serving us.

Negatives - rice was a touch too al dente for me, didn’t integrate as well with the sushi. Definitely show up with some beverages. Overall positives well outweighed the negatives.

@TheCookie next time you’re there, ask chef Yasu about the picture hanging on the wall with Japanese writing on it :wink:

5 Likes

glad you liked it, thanks for the report. which omakase did you get?

what was this stuffed with?

1 Like

I got the @PorkyBelly OOE special - Omakase ‘i-naba’. It’s quite impressive what they’re churning out in the tiny space (w/o gas lines) and limited staff.

It was stuffed with scallions, seaweed and something else I can’t recollect. Amps up the umami factor.

Btw found additional info on hizu https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kissui/item/05400/

2 Likes

Nice @Sgee!

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I almost mentioned BYOS but decided to mind my own biz. Darn.

Okay, so, now I can’t wait.

I ended up deciding to try Sushi I-naba after seeing it here on FTC and wow am I happy I did! Thank you guys for talking it up so much! I got the Hama Omakase so I think most of what I had is covered picture-wise from Sgee (since it’s a lower cost option). Some of my courses were different and perhaps some of it was season and some of it was just different course menu. I added an Eel handroll and it was a highlight for sure, among the many others.

Overall, floored by what he’s putting out given his limitations. I may have had a bit more of an uncommon experience there as I became (unfortunately due to last minute cancellations) a solo diner for the last seating of dinner. Chef Yasu is SO friendly and welcoming, totally down to just chat the whole time. It’s a shame he doesn’t have that liquor license and I definitely recommend bringing some sake. He likes sake which makes it all the sadder. I have to admit, the feeling I came away with after that dinner was unique and something I’ve only experienced at 2 other restaurants so far (disclaimer: my dining experience is nowhere near the level of you guys lol). I have a feeling he’s only going to get better as time passes.

Shirako season!
Akagai
Ankimo - Slow blazed and served warm; don’t think I’ve had it before and it was great!
Hokkaido Sea Urchin! :drooling_face:

Hizu - I was really surprised by this one and enjoyed that vinegary taste and crunchy texture. :smiley:

Hizu close-up!

Eel Handroll - if you don’t get it in the omakase I think it’d be worth trying out

13 Likes

Oh Hizu, woah. Really curious as to how they extract in that manner.

1 Like

Haha sadly I didn’t ask many questions. Was trying to guess what it was at the start and, after that, I was too busy digging in to think!

I would never have guessed, just so very unusual - visually and texturally. Glad you enjoyed your dinner.

1 Like

Yeah I haven’t had hizu nankotsu in a very long time. It’s the soft bone / cartilage in the head area of the Japanese salmon (Hokkaido) in this case (I believe it refers to something different in yakitori), typically marinated in vinegar and served chilled as an appetizer. Sometimes there’s some collagen like textures around the bone area but perhaps my senses were being tricked.

Needless to say, perfect with a good sake and perhaps even a Chablis.

1 Like

Nice write-up @bagel!

1 Like

@Sgee I guessed right but only because he gave me a huge hint that almost gave it away. Would never have guessed otherwise.

@beefnoguy Yes, chilled, vinegar, and collagen-texture was exactly the way I would describe it!

@TheCookie Thank you! :blush:

1 Like

thanks for the report @Bagel, glad you had a good meal. agree with you about his ankimo, pretty great. and wow, i haven’t seen that uni/nori sandwich before that looks incredible. is that shiso underneath? next time ask yasu-san if he can make you some battera.

1 Like

Never had warm monkfish liver but I imagine it would taste better than the usual cold with the temperature bring out the fat

1 Like