Sushi Preschool Graduation

I’ve had the good fortune to be able to eat at LA sushi establishments such as Mori and Shunji, but can’t help feeling I’m missing something to move from just a dabbling novice to join the more knowledgeable and adept members of this board.

My question is how you advanced to being comfortable and an “insider” in the frankly rather intimidating world of higher-end sushi. For instance, even the most conspicuous gesture of offering the itamae a drink eludes me. Asking the itamae or server enough details about each fish served seems like a terrible faux pas.

5 Likes

Welcome to FTC. Lol I have a pull over sweatshirt with your nom de plume on it from when I was freezing my butt off at the Mexico City airport!

If you haven’t read the Sushi School thread maybe that will help you out a bit

2 Likes

I don’t worry about pissing off the itamae.

After all, I’m paying for their services/food, not the other way around. If anything, they should make sure not to piss me off.

…Okay, so, there’s that. Welcome to FTC.

1 Like

For those with Aspergers and/or on the autistic spectrum, the answer is: time, and money.

Also, maybe watch Punch Drunk Love a couple of times? Followed by Wolf of Wall Street? But not at the same time.

2 Likes

or a lot - in general, certain questions which are posed/re-posed in such a way that it seems like the poser of the question didn’t search to see if the question had already been answered may get largely unhelpful answers in response.

like you have here…

1 Like

Lol can someone have tea and no tea at the same time?*

*sorry old hitchhikers guide to the galaxy video game reference.

i read hitchiker’s guide, even tried the role playing game (on a 5.25" floppy) but i was never a douglas adams fan.

Edit:

[quote=“secretasianman, post:6, topic:5826”]
if the question had already been answered may get largely unhelpful answers in response.
[/quote]The The Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy references prove your point.

[quote=“secretasianman, post:6, topic:5826”]
it seems like the poser of the question didn’t search to see if the question had already been answered
[/quote]Me thinks OP did already read said posts and is pulling our legs.

I thought the LA place where the itamae yelled at people had closed. :wink: I also thought they called it ‘the hospitality business’ for a reason. Other than self-imposed anxiety, I really hope I wouldn’t put up with any form of real intimidation.

1 Like

fair enough. i don’t have much affinity for doug adams’ writings, but again, a chacon son gout.

1 Like