Sushi School - Where should I begin?

what is 301

Hi @Funtimes,

Just a continuation of the “Sushi School” metaphor (with “basic classes / introductions to Sushi” being like taking a “101 class” in college (starter / beginner course)), “201” being the next level, and “301” being even more elevated. :slight_smile:

1 Like

where do we take these classes

You’re in it.

Read these posts to get an idea of your level of sushi knowledge and experience, then start eating. I’ve been doing lunch omakase: less stress and saves $ for the elevated courses.

Happy Sushi Eating!

3 Likes

I am.

Oh …

I agree with previous comments about finding a local place and becoming a regular, thus forming a relationship with the chef and learning from them. An early or late lunch, when it isn’t too busy is best. The chef is prepping for dinner, and has plenty of time to chat.

Karen Sushi is my family’s local place. Chef Toshi knows my brothers, and all our kids, and we ask after each other’s families and summer plans. It’s very friendly

Before I started going to Karen Sushi, I ate was was placed in front of me, or only ordered familiar fish. Of course I’ve eaten at the fine-dining sushi restaurants, and it can be slightly intimidating, especially if you don’t know all the Japanese terms or types of fish. But Toshi-san has always explained what he is giving me, and if I have questions, he is happy to answer them. It’s comfortable and casual, and good fish.

(And yes, that is a not very good sake. Don’t worry, they actually have a very good selection.)

Edited to add: Also, Toshi-san is kind enough to always give me only one type of nigiri per order, instead of two pieces, because he knows I can’t eat that much. :slight_smile:

Sushi Karen
Washington Blvd., Culver City

http://www.sushikaren.com

9 Likes

Nice report @Bookwich. :slight_smile: What you describe is the ideal way to learn and appreciate sushi, having a sushi chef that gets to know the customer (and vice versa) and can start to customize the meal with each subsequent visit. :slight_smile:

What are you favorite fish at Sushi Karen?

1 Like

Usually, I let him decide the fish for me. Yesterday the salmon and the scallop were very good. I also like the amber jack, which is prepared in the Nobu-style. Chef Toshi also has a way with mackerel, and abalone, when in season.

1 Like

Yay @Bookwich -

Sweet report. Thanks for joining and giving your perspectives. Toshi-san looks like a love.

Thanks!

1 Like

True @Chowseeker1999. I’m in the exploratory phase :slight_smile:, but I look forward to settling in with a couple or more places and sushi chefs with whom I can establish a comfortable relationship.

I have a question. The sushi chef title seems a little vague, almost subjective. What is your preferred title for a sushi chef? Itamae (cook/chef), sushi-itamae, or just sushi chef?

_____-san.

3 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

What @J_L said. Just address by their name + “san” (e.g., Toshi-san, Shunji-san, etc.).

2 Likes

I meant when referring to or writing about a sushi chef? :slight_smile:. I had a feeling it would be taken as how to address. I got that one down.

Hi @TheCookie,

Oh just writing about them on the forums / in your reports back? -san is still fine, but you can also refer to them as “sushi chef” or “chef” as well. For example, you could write about…

Chef Masaharu Morimoto
Sushi Chef Masaharu Morimoto
Or, Morimoto-san

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Perfect. Thanks.

Thanks @Chowseeker1999!

Sometimes I’m not speaking of any person in particular. For egs. “Some sushi chefs prepare it this way.”

itamae

3 Likes

Oh, BTW. I was thinking about that “graduation” discussion we had. You do realize I meant from high school to city college :wink:?

1 Like

ive had decent luck with “dude” over the years.

2 Likes