Sushi School - Where should I begin?

how to eat sushi with ns1:

sit down at the sushi bar
stuff your face with nigiri
give zero fucks

8 Likes

I like eating food in America because there are no rules. Just arguments.

2 Likes

Tell that to pizza-eaters…

1 Like

See, mine is

Sit down at the sushi bar
Stuff your face with nigiri
Feel guilt about the 38 yrs of faux pas I’ve committed, included insufficient knowledgable about the rich culinary tradition in which I’m partaking.

2 Likes

i will suggest that observing certain…niceties can make a difference if you are developing a relationship with a chef who is observing your behavior as a gauge how to serve you; bear in mind, it’s not about showing what you know as much as giving the chef confidence that you have the palate to appreciate fully the limits of his craft. it will matter to some chefs, and more importantly, it strikes me as something that would matter to you though not necessarily to others participating in this thread. seeing grains of rice in the soy sauce will make a difference to some chefs, so the simplest way to avoid that is to avoid putting rice in the soy sauce. and of course the appearance of soaking the neta in soy is to be avoided. but ignorance is ok as long as respect is demonstrated in appropriate ways - in asking and in how you ask. i think you get the idea.

1 Like

I was waiting to see just how long this thread would go before one of us posts this most iconic of sushi videos…

2 Likes

Thanks, @TheCookie. I’ll definitely try their flat white. Portola makes an awfully good one too - if you find yourself in Costa Mesa, Tustin, Santa Ana, Orange, Huntington Beach, or Mission Viejo.

http://www.portolacoffeelab.com/costamesa/

I haven’t kept up with this thread exactly, but I’m curious what the posters here think of Miura and the other $45-$55 omakase options in the South Bay posted in the Eater article today:

1 Like

That’s what trolling is… or what it used to be anyway.

Hey - Sorry @MaladyNelson and others who have replied or posted to me. I haven’t had a notification from this thread (and a few others) in almost a month until @Aesthete’s today. That’s odd since I started the thread and you usually get notifications even if they’re not to you.

Hashtag DontCallTheModeratorNames :innocent:

Anyway, I had a busy February and didn’t check in with FTC much. But that didn’t stop me from keeping up with my classes :relaxed:.
I have had some cool experiences, nigiri, temaki and other tastiness to post. I even made it to a 301 Class. TBC…

5 Likes

Thanks @secretasianman! I’ve tried to do just that. The itamaes have been pretty cool with me and surprisingly seem a little charmed by my eagerness to learn.

For the most part I have let them tell me whether to use soy sauce or not. So far, it has mostly been with the rolls. But I can’t promise not to drop a grain of rice in the dish. Too much pressure :cold_sweat:.

sounds like you have made an excellent impression. but then, few men can resist the allure of showing off their expertise to a charming woman who wants to listen.

if you order omakase, you might consider asking why any order was something they chose to serve you; so as to help you identify what it is about their choice you should most appreciate. is it a seasonal fish, etc.

I think I want to eat at Mori next. And Hamasaku for mid range. Went for lunch and the chef seems very fun and charismatic.

What price range can I expect from the two premium dinners at Mori?

$150+ pp per dinner omakase (food only)

1 Like

Oh, you smoothie you…
Okay, I will do that.

I think Hamasaku was mentioned in the $55 omakase article. So it’s actually good?

Here are my thoughts on Hamasaku

I am looking at your thread and thinking “no fucking way is this a $55 meal…” lol

I realize you area an all out baller, but it would nice if someone actually reported on what the $55 omakase is like there in comparison.

From the Eater’s article:

Given how good the $160 option looks, it seems like a nice place to try a $55 option for a noob potentially, as the other baller places don’t even offer $55 type options as far as I can tell (well, if you count lunch I guess Shunji does of course, but hopefully my point isn’t lost).

I believe the “superomakase” at Mori will be closer to $180-200 range, however it is worth it.
For me his edomae style sushi is second to none!
If you do go to Mori, these days be sure to ask to sit in front of Maru-san, otherwise it is not worth your time and money.
In the old days I actually used to prefer Yoshi-san, but sadly Yoshi is now dishing out $300pp omakase at Ginza Onodera.

3 Likes

I started with the $55 14 piece omakase at hamasaku and ended with the OOE omakase. Getting served two pieces at a time was weird but it wasn’t bad for the price. But shunji’s $40 12 piece lunch special is better and cheaper.

2 Likes