Sushi School - Where should I begin?

Thanks @Chowseeker1999!

Sometimes I’m not speaking of any person in particular. For egs. “Some sushi chefs prepare it this way.”

itamae

3 Likes

Oh, BTW. I was thinking about that “graduation” discussion we had. You do realize I meant from high school to city college :wink:?

1 Like

ive had decent luck with “dude” over the years.

2 Likes

Hmmm… I was just thinking and cringing about how badly my peer group behaved at places like Sushi on Sunset in its heyday. While I’ve always been polite, I do admit to downing a few sake bombs, and once saw a young Lisa Bonet re-enact her infamous Angel Heart voodoo chicken dance on top of a table at SOS. Although I imagine the place was designed for such behavior - things sure have changed.

… and you wonder why they’re always out of that special dish all the other customers are enjoying when you order it?

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

why does shit like this never happen to me?

ha to the rumph. if “all the other customers are enjoying it,” it’s not so special, is it?

i think you’ll find, as with most behind the bar be it attorney, sushi or, y’know, drinks:

the dude. abides.

5 Likes

Invoking the law of Lebowksi…

3 Likes

imagine how much of other’s people’s saliva (and other fluids) he’s ingested over the years. the thought has made my entire day.

this is quite possibly the saddest comment i’ve read. extant.

who Mr Aisan Man.

Based on an effusive recomendation by @TonyC on IG, I finally ventured out to Shiki for lunch. For most of my visit, I was the only customer in the place (every other mediocre Italian joint with a patio in BH was packed to the gills, mind you). Selected the $60/10 piece omakase option. What a treat.

Agedashi sesame tofu

Sea Bream, Spinach, Eggplant

Black Cod Butter Lettuce “Taco”

Nigiri Course:
Halibut
Yellowtail
Salmon
Bluefin Tina
Amberjack
King Mackerel
O-toro
Spanish Mackerel
Squid
Uni
Blue Crab Handroll

Miso Soup (Five options were offered and I chose clam)

Single Bite of Red Bean Ice Cream

Service was friendly and on point. Excellent convo with the chef. Asked him about the distinctive red hue of the rice. He did not elaborate, but stated that they import aged vinegar from Japan specifically for their rice. Which was well seasoned and delicious.

It was a great way to spend some time out of the heat today. I would most certainly go back for dinner sometime.

15 Likes

That looks fantastic, especially for $60! Glad you liked it. It’s a shame they’re not more popular not only in the area, but also in LA! Sitting at the bar is the way to go; Hiro-san is a legit sushi chef and the place is always comfortable.

3 Likes

Excellent QPR.

2 Likes

Is this Shiki studio city?

Shiki Beverly Hills. Very different. And not at all related to the chain.

1 Like

Very nice @djquinnc

[quote=“djquinnc, post:334, topic:5042”]
(every other mediocre Italian joint with a patio in BH was packed to the gills, mind you)
[/quote]So not surprised. Yes, it is a nice time to sit outside - but there’s also a lack of imagination amongst B.H. diners. I really hope Shiki survives there. Does anyone know if they do well at night?

I have been focused on trying new places, but will go back soon; especially since it’s the beginning of summer season and they are serving some new pieces. Also, posters have suggested I pick places easy to become a regular at (for my continued education). I’m in that part of town a lot and feel really comfortable at Shiki.

I have a question for posters. I notice @BradFord and others mention Hiro-san the most. Do you prefer to be seated with him?

Side note:
A thing that may or may not hurt them is the website attached to their google profile. I like this one better.

Happy :sushi: eating!

1 Like

Impressive knife work, thanks for the report.

2 Likes

Oh cool. That will be helpful when I advance to my knife work classes. :wink:

Oops. You were responding to @djquinnc’s report. I thought you were responding to my question about the Hiro-san preference.

I wonder though; If it’s easy to answer: what did you like about the knife work on his meal?