Sushi School - Where should I begin?

Well, there’s this. https://www.miyakoschool.com/

Just going by the pictures you can tell all the cuts are smooth with no jagged edges, also the detailed score marks give the neta a really nice drape over the shari (rice).

Are you serious or pulling my leg? I can’t tell. It does look interesting. But it’s also run by Katsu-ya Group. I know how a lot of you feel about their restaurants :neutral_face:

Great. I did notice the scoring. Thanks!

Well, jk.

Katsuya and Katsu-ya are different restaurants…

Now I’m really confused.

Just as tonkotsu and tonkatsu are different…

2 Likes

I’ll give it one more try. This is getting to be a little like Who’s on first? :slight_smile: I thought all the restaurants (Katsu-ya & Katsuya) pretty much revolved around Chef Katsuya one way or the other.

Katsuya is a chain of hip Phillip Stark restaurants owned by SBE. Chef Katsuya collaborated on the menu. The Katsu-ya group of restaurants (Katsu-ya, Kiwami) is different. They are owned by Chef Katsuya and are more traditional style Japanese food, compared to the trendy SBE chain.

1 Like

Even though I think I may have suggested Shiki to @TheCookie for Sushi School I had not been for about a year, so we went and we had a nice meal last week.
Non-Omakase with Jun.
Everything was quite delicious.
I was kind of surprised how the have divided it up into two sushi bars:
One in the back is, presumably, for Shige omakase (which was totally empty, from when we arrived at 7 on a Wednesday, until we left at about 8:30); the other bar, on the side of the joint, was for a-la-carte or non-Shige omakase. That bar was lively and fun with excellent fish.

1 Like

Oh Sweet!

Hopefully these posts will get some traffic into Shiki. I really want them to make it. There are very few interesting places in B.H. It’s mostly uber-expensive or fast-casual lunch spots.

BTW… Do you remember what you had a la carte?

Thanks!

Solved![quote=“boogiebaby, post:352, topic:5042”]
The Katsu-ya group
[/quote]So I guess the izakaya we enjoy on 3rd St. isn’t such a crime. We have a lack of good spots in our 'hood.

Thanks!

fairly standard sushi and sashimi - nothing fancy pants.

1 Like

My meal at Shiki (in its first month) was quite underwhelming. Thus, no write-up from me. Willing to reconsider if the next meal I have there shows improvement…

Hah! Yes, but we’re talking you. Anyone who can pop into Shunji as a late night afterthought and get the kind of delightful meal and conversation as you did, is probably going to find Shiki a little prosaic and pedestrian. But for me? It was a lovely introduction to order, taste, texture and seasonality. Anyway, you should just go for me and spend oodles of money, so they stay open and I can continue my education. :blush:

Okay, I see I might be offending you today. So I thought I’d hop back over here and say - You do realize I’m teasing you about your sushi ballerness? Your dining experiences are one of the coolest things on this board.

:kissing_heart:

No offense noted on my side at all.

I’d like to share ALL my experiences on this board, but frankly some really good, decent hard-working people work at restaurants that I consider quite shitty (and I do sift through my fair share of detritus to find worthy eats to bring back to our community). Our reviews have reverberations - not LATimes or LAWeekly reverberations, mind you, but they can and do affect business flow. So the general rule of “If you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all” applies here. It should be about the good vibes here.

Now, if there was an egregious practice (like when Otium stiffed me on my due change) going on, then I believe a secondary role of this forum should serve to inform the at-large dining out public of such deeds.

8 Likes

OG h/t to @mhlee. I will not take credit for his 2016 wallet/gut-breaking TOUR through more than a dozen omakases at $40/$50/$60+ levels.

If Shiki was open on Monday I would be there for Memorial Day. Alas, they also close early Sunday, which puts them really out of my regular rotation as well. :expressionless:

3 Likes

[quote=“TonyC, post:361, topic:5042”]
OG h/t to @mhlee. I will not take credit for the 2016 wallet/gut-breaking toof through more than a dozen omakases at $40/$50/$60+ levels.
[/quote]Can someone translate TonyC for me?