Sushi School - Where should I begin?

That is hilarious.

All and all your meal looks good though. $24.00!

1 Like

Don’t even care. Would happily eat all that.

3 Likes

Hi @J_L -

I like your post on the Weekend Rundown about the hon-maguro akami (bluefin tuna). That’s hopeful. Because of a couple comments you and others have made - about not bothering to boycott bluefin tuna because it’s to late - I stopped fretting about eating it. But it does bother me. The problem with farmed is if you go on the Monterey Bay Seafood Watch website or app they have a mind boggling amount of dos, dont’s and where’s when it comes to farmed seafood. I tried being conscious but it involves asking a lot of questions then whipping out the app to see if a particular farmed fish in a particular area has any warnings. It makes me want to either not eat seafood in restaurants at all (that ain’t happening) or say f-it and eat it all. Anyway, just curious, did the itamae offer this info. or did you ask? Because I get some resistance when I ask these questions.

:sake: :sushi:

1 Like

I’m not JL but u was there yesterday and wanted to say that he is very warm and easy to chat with very open about questions . There are no other itamae. Really high qpr for those like me who care about that

2 Likes

Yes! Shin-san at Masakazu is no grouch, and openly volunteers the fact that his bluefin is farmed.

As for asking this particular question to other potentially more volatile (? :slight_smile: ) shokunin around this city, I’d probably build up a rapport with them first before venturing into this conversation topic.

1 Like

Okay, I had basically stopped bothering and just eat what they give me. But it is concerning.

Thanks @aaqjr!

I’m a simple diner. For a simple Chinese meal, roasted fowl or roast pork hanging in the front window is a draw for me.

For simple Japanese, a tankful of Aji does the trick.

Checking out the fish market this morning in Namazu. Lunch had to be fish, of course.

This the season for Sakura Ebi and Shirasu in this region. Easily found a restaurant that met our criteria.

Actual dish was even more appealing than the menu picture.

I’m easy. Some Sashimi, Miso soup, Rice and an Asahi Beer-u.

Ice Cream and Mt Fuji.

What’s for dinner!?!?!?

9 Likes

Japan is so casually epic it’s wrong.

3 Likes

Oh! :heart_eyes:

See what ~$10-$11 gets when the consumer proletariat has respect? :yum:

2 Likes

any good books to read on Sushi? the history, the different styles, masters of the cuisine? not necessarily looking for cookbooks, but more to learn and read about the art, craft and skill of it.
i’ve gotten so much valuable insight and information from the sushi connoisseurs here and i just wanted to learn more.

hope you guys can help. thanks in advance

Edomae Sushi by Kikuo Shimizu is the best. As title implies, it focuses on edomae.

Trevor Corson’s “The Story of Sushi”
Sasha Issenberg’s “The Sushi Economy”
these books are ok, pretty basic/simple info, but quick reads…

4 Likes

I’ll second “The Story of Sushi”. I mostly enjoyed the chapters detailing the history of sushi and its development through different styles and periods. For example, I had no idea that it began in southeast Asia as a technique to preserve fish during the dry season.

It also provides a fun snapshot of Los Angeles’s sushi scene in the 70’s, 80’s and 90s, as the restaurant it uses as its structural center is in Hermosa Beach.

3 Likes

thank you, hoping I can pick up some of these books this weekend

Kinokuniya has a great selection including edomae sushi and sushi chef (basically jiro ono’s thoughts on sushi)

SX334_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200-1

3 Likes

Sushi School Question:

The Inn Ann @ Japan House thread brings up a nagging question I have. What is the use of plurals in the Japanese language. If you’re talking or writing about a group of “itamae” or “sushi-ya” do you put an ‘s’ at the end?

1 Like

+1 @TheCookie get this :100: :fire: :fire: :fire:

2 Likes

Okay, I’m on it!

1 Like

Drats… the US store is temporarily suspending new book orders. :smirk: