Sushi School - Where should I begin?

I was told that they actually sauce it…?

I was concerned about the “flamboyance” but there was nothing as unusual as peanut butter oil on my 2 LA visits.

I think I can handle that. Beginners need to remember it’s another human interaction like any other, as @linus put it in his/her own linus way. Difficult men are my specialty; a testy itamae shouldn’t be that hard. Not to be sexist, but let’s face it, they’re mostly men. I’ll start during a non-busy time. Sushi Sushi seems like a really easy start for me.

1 Like

I like Sushi Sushi, too. Always a nice experience there. I think it deserves a little more love than it gets. I could see getting educated over a period of visits to Sushi Sushi.

I know there have been downhill alerts and that it is not always strictly traditional, but I like Kiriko. I’ve been going there for years and it’s just . . . my place. I find the itamae to be approachable and friendly. That’s why I might give an edge to Kiriko for The Cookie’s purpose.

Ultimately, I think what The Cookie needs is “her place.” It’s nice if it’s a place that can she can go to regularly enough to establish a relationship. So proximity, comfort, easy reservations, and a reasonable price point kind of need to figure into the whole equation.

2 Likes

i promise im not trying to be an ass, but what’s so complicated or intimidating about asking for just this?

i drink, so my memory aint so good, but im pretty sure ive done just that, pumped full of anti anxiety meds.
the guys behind le bar have often asked me what i like or dont like.
nonsequitor, but i absolutely have asked this sort of thing at wine bars and cheese shops: whats good today, please?

again, with the caveat this is only an alternate opinion and i defer to the expert folks here.

To be fair, there is a distinction between eating for enjoyment and eating for enjoyment and edification.
I think if someone is interested in just eating great food, then your position is so on point.
I think if someone is interested in eating great food and learning more about the cuisine then I think a good option is to seek out a place where they can do both. That can be a little more work.

I strongly agree that there is NO need to be intimidated or feel like you’re going to screw something up. Especially if one does omakase. I mean, the only person that can screw up omakase is the itamae!

1 Like

We would definitely sit with Hiro-san, no matter how sweet Shige and his $250+ is :slight_smile:. Plus it seems like you’ve had an interesting experience with Hiro-san. My “decisions” comment was about choosing a place :worried:.

Good S.F. Info.! Calling @Robert

Asking a sushi chef “what do you recommend today?” is much more preferred than “what’s good today?” The latter is perceived to have the implication of some stuff being not good. They can take offense to that, so it’s more polite in Japanese culture to imply that everything they’re serving is good, but you would like their recommendations.

It doesn’t have to be very complicated - part of the fun of exploring sushi for me has been the enjoyment of being surprised and learning what I like, noticing my tastes change, and what I come to like about certain types of seafood, preparations, styles, etc.

But, apart from being sensitive to things like what I mentioned above, sushi chefs often welcome genuine questions and establishing a rapport. Re: ordering - yes, you certainly can do that at places which offer both omakase and okonomi (you choosing). You can do a hybrid, e.g. mention what you want or don’t want, then let them choose the rest. But a place like Nozawa Bar or Zo, which has kind of a set menu for the night, doesn’t allow you to choose (you can simply “opt out”) until after, for bonus rounds, so to speak, that are above the normal omakase. But at most places like Shiki, Mori, Shunji, Kiriko, Tsujita, Sushi Sushi, etc. you can specify a budget, a few things you like, and let them sort out the rest. Set lunches, e.g. Shunji’s ~$40 lunch, may have more of a set progression for the day, e.g. it’s hard to request that specific expensive items be included in the set price. But by and large, your preferences can be accommodated otherwise at most places.

2 Likes

Thanks @Chowseeker1999. You’re right. It seems like Shunji keeps coming up for my particular request.

I like this thread. As @President_Mochi wrote, it is helpful in two ways: a special place for my birthday, but also places to frequent, become comfortable and develop more knowledge.

I love @PorkyBelly’s Gari pictures though. Too much fun fusiony things for my initial foray?? I haven’t looked at the prices yet.

Awesome… as usual!

I will start loving it.

Nice shout-out for the rarely mentioned Kiriko. I have “my place” places. I love them whether they’re in or out.

@BradFord : Give Sasaki a try, I’d say they are the best in SF proper right now. They’re on opentable, and it’s not too difficult to get a seat (except weekends)
The general approach is a bit inspired by Sho style but his sake lees vinegar seasoned rice needs more punch (his komezu shari however is nicely salted, and he doesn’t use any sugar), and some of the offerings are more Masa’s own style. Overall a very good experience. The downside is that you may be seated amongst the Yelper and IG self promoter types, along with local chef celebs if they show up, since many of them have followed him since the Maruya days. Wako is very good, but since getting their star a second time, they’ve changed the menu/progression. The nigiri have been notably smaller since my last visit, and the cooked dishes not quite as good. Agreed regarding An, Kiyoshi-san and his kitchen have done great cooked small dishes since the Koo days, but nigiri has never been strong. I don’t want to make the Shunji comparison that way, but Shunji’s cooked dishes outshine the nigiri.

Speaking of blanc de blancs, I had a nice Pierre Péters Les Chétillons Cuvée 2008 last night, and I was imagining what it would be like with high end omakase. Preferred that profile more than Krug.

Hashiri worries me, knowing that it’s the worst value omakase experience in SF. If you do the extended advanced order tasting menu at the counter with sake pairing, it’s more than $1000 pp.

The omakase explosion in SF, the big issue (and goal) is that everyone who is opening these high end omakase sushi restaurants want to jump on the Michelin bandwagon for a shot at a slice of glory pie. I’m seeing common and sometimes random patterns where:

• chef’s bio is being touted and marketed as “he or she worked with such and such pedigree chef who won some award”. Spread it on Eater and socialites will eat it up.

• chef spends too much time marketing themselves and the seafood they purchase (vs investing in time and effort to execute the food right, and/or management not ensuring a good flow and experience for the customer).

• restaurant emulates others a bit too much (sometimes it’s a case because chef at the latest newest “omakase” place worked at another omakase place before, and basically took their MO with them to the new restaurant without trying to do their own thing, and voila…no style, no innovation, not much modification). Suddenly some others are aging fish like tuna, or adding kelp marination to fish and suddenly they can call themselves “Edo style”, but are not doing it properly due to lack of experience and technique (and in many cases, not having the right seasoning in their sushi rice, and nigiri molding technique to get the balance into play).

In short, more style, less substance. Saddening for the consumer. I’m sure the LA scene has its separate issues, but hopefully it will not get infected the way SF has.

2 Likes

I understand where linus is going with this. Stop the nonsense. Respect people and they respect you. But at sushi bars there is an experience between diner and chef that is not just about eating. I want that experience.

This is helpful. Allow me another question. Do diners normally discuss budget when making reservations or to host/hostess at arrival or at sitting?

Good question. Usually it’s when you sit, so you can discuss your preferences with the sushi chef, especially if you’re learning what you like and they’re learning you. However, it’s also generally not very polite to discuss money at all with the sushi chef (e.g. even asking for the check, you should always consult the waiter/waitress). If I’m specifying a budget, I usually mention it to the waiter or waitress when he or she first asks me for my drink order…I ask “do you think we can do some sashimi and sushi around $___?”. He or she will then ask the sushi chef, and then you can discuss preferences with him.

With that said, your modification should probably be something similar to a choice listed on the menu. E.g. if there’s options for $80 or $120, you might ask for something around $100 or so, but you wouldn’t ask for $40. Or, if there’s a sashimi and sushi option for say $80, you may ask for simply just sushi for $80, and the idea is that you’ll get more pieces of sushi. At places like Kiriko, I specify “Kiriko omakase, cold” meaning that I want all raw or cold appetizers. After a while, the sushi chef has come to know my style very well, even giving me things before I order.

If you’re going to a place that only serves a set priced menu, however, they probably won’t be as flexible.

If you’re asking for a significant modification, then good idea you may want to call the front service first to see if the restaurant can do that.

1 Like

i hope you enjoy sushi sushi.

1 Like

I forgot about that. I will give Sasaki a try. I thought Maruya before was pretty good. Having been to Sho in Hawaii, I think the Sho style is pretty unique and hard to do well.

You’re describing the diners at most Michelin starred places in SF!

[quote=“beefnoguy, post:74, topic:5042”]
omakase explosion in SF, the big issue (and goal) is that everyone who is opening these high end omakase sushi restaurants want to jump on the Michelin bandwagon for a shot at a slice of glory pie[/quote]

Michelin “slice of the glory pie” could certainly be part of it. However, I think that part is often not on the chef, but on the investors and management who, trying to capitalize on the buzz, have strung together a team that made great marketing sense. That SF has certainly some competent sushi, but not great sushi, doesn’t mean that it’s all hollow; it suggests to me that making great sushi requires real skill and knowledge, in addition to long training, and the talent level here generally hasn’t caught up with the voracious market forces that result in the superficialities you point out. Which is to say, there is great demand, and restauranteurs are jumping in very quickly to fill that demand, but often times without the commensurately great food that one would expect at these prices. SF is developing in this area, but seemingly slow at times (how many of the new places are really good?), because 1) SF hasn’t historically been a sushi town, 2) there isn’t a large and historic Japanese population in SF, and 3) therefore a lot of the new sushi restaurants we’re seeing in the past 3 years or so are attempts by investors to build a popular restaurant, not a sushi chef’s own personal dream from the ground up. Not that such a model can’t result in a great sushi restaurant - it can - but I think that’s why we’re seeing more misses than one would expect.

I’ll give Sasaki a try eventually, but usually I don’t associate SF with great sushi, so I tend to focus my meals out on other types of cuisine. What I really wish we had was a competent neighborhood place for a solid but unfussy fix.

Anyway, I guess I’ve begun to talk more about “sushi business,” but that’s just my outsider’s opinion.

I do think that compared to SF, LA has a lot more breadth and depth for a lot of cuisines (except perhaps for fine dining, maybe Cal-Ital).

1 Like

Funny, but Gari is actually considered pretty tame in NYC. And moderate in pricing, as well.

Every time I find a great sushi place in SF it closes. I haven’t tried any of the places that opened since Masaki Sasaki and Hide Sueyoshi left Maruya two years ago.

I’ve never had sushi in SF that compared with what I had at Shunji, but I don’t drive to San Mateo or San Jose to try the places that are reputed to be the best.

1 Like

I’ve seen and admired your pictures and review of Sho Waikiki. This guy (Nakazawa) is a true legend and what he’s done with applying his Sho techniques with local Hawaiian ingredients…sounds like a good proper fusion. Not sure when I will ever make it there. He’s taking things to another level, and I’m sure breaking ground.

With Sasaki you have to set your expectations accordingly and keep an open mind. I say they are Sho inspired only because he uses both white vinegar and salt seasoned rice, and sake lees vinegar/aka zu seasoned rice, which is something the Sho disciples in Tokyo do very well (having visited Takumi Shingo in Aoyama Tokyo last November, it really opened my eyes and perspective about this style). Then there’s the pairing of ankimo with sake lees marinated pickled baby watermelon (although the texture is completely different), a delectable clam broth, and the dual tamagoyaki types. But that’s where the similarities end and the restaurant’s own interpretation of other things (and execution) begins.

I’ve heard that one to several of the Sho disciples have worked in sake breweries before, so you not only get great sushi, but your chef is also a pseudo-somm (who knows maybe at least one of them has a sake somm cert too, but if they don’t have a cert they have served their customers rightfully). If we are talking sake somms in Tokyo, one of the greats for non Japanese/washoku fare is Yoshinobu Kimura of Narisawa; his sake pairing and picks is so eclectic and unusual, and works so damn well.

People who have apprenticed under Nakazawa-san and have opened up their own Sho style restaurants, are also very comfortable with selecting really really good lower to mid end sake to go with the meal (generally tokubetsu Junmai and at most Junmai Ginjo types), and cater the flavor profiles of the food with the sake for a much enhanced experience. Sometimes it is the more obscure jizake (local sake, from different parts of Japan) that does something so right that it fills the niche of going with particular food or sushi profiles. This is one super wicked level of detail I have come to appreciate, and really take note of. Definitely a more Herculean task in California (fewer choices/distributors/types)

I believe you are right about the investors/owners of a place having a larger sphere of influence (and thus our perceptions), sometimes the chef does not have a say or as much as to the marketing or focus/approach. Agreed, it all could be better. It is steps up from years ago.

Going back to the main topic:

There are some really good Japanese places in LA worthy of a visit. For my next visit I’d definitely go back to Tempura Endo for a la carte for the shellfish, Yazawa for the yakishabu or sukiyaki style grilled with egg dip and curry rice (amongst other things), give Shoya in Lomita a try for oden, maybe the yakitori shop near Kiriko, Venice Ramen (for the shoyu bowl), to name a few.

2 Likes