Sushi School - Where should I begin?

Wow. That seems worth the drive. I wonder what that braided piece is in the picture.

Quote: “Tanaka’s wife doubles as both host and server. She explains each dish in extensive detail, setting newbies at ease.” That is indeed a helpful trait. I’ve already started my classes (reports to follow) and understanding what I’m being told is challenging; questions abound. I’ve been over-tipping. I call it “the pest tax”.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ll second this recommendation. Very good QPR. I’ve been a few times now and not including drinks, you can eat about 15 - 16 pieces of sushi for around $75. Sushi includes less common items like abalone, various types of clams, kohada, striped jack, sardines, etc.

The sushi chef is formerly of Sushi Ike.

Good to know. So far I’ve been served a variation of the same things. While good and mostly a better quality than I’m used to, I can see myself getting bored. I’m mostly doing omakase lunches, but will probably start adding items from the menu that pique my interest.

looks like kohada, gizzard shad.

2 Likes

BTW… These omakase lunches are great foot wetters. So far they’re running about $30 - $45+tip. I don’t know if it’s enough to fill a guy, but perfect for me.

Yep… that looks like it. Loved looking at that report again. Not only because it’s delicious, but because I’ve had a few of those pieces by now. It’s great you take the time to write the Japanese & English names.

Off to start working off some of that Popeyes :blush:. Looking forward to getting back to Sushi School this week.

Thanks!

It’s 50 to 60 for an omakase when most are 200 plus these days. i know the quality is lower but cheaper easier entry point. easy access.

Sure why not, I didn’t want to use the overused N word. :frowning:

Last time I went it was $48 for a course of sashimi + 8 pc of sushi, which was an astoundingly bad QPR. (Does anybody actually get full off this? Even for lunch? It’s a very small amount of food…) I had to add on enough food to hit $80 to leave “not hungry”. For the the $80-100 price range I would rather to go to Shibucho (sushi only), Sushi Sushi, or Takao (and maybe Soregashi, though I haven’t been yet).

maybe not full, but its much cheaper, shibucho is easily ummm… 4 x times the cost, quality is higher though.

takao is expense with lots of truffles and caviar.

I’m speaking in terms of unit of food - shibucho is the same price if you stick to eating sushi.

It’s still way mo expensive.

I am never sure how much wasabe or soy should be used on the sushi . I sometimes see people being macho drowning sushi in a boatload of wasabe to where sweat is pouring off their forehead . Personally I like very little of soy and wasabe or none at all . Is there a correct amount to use or just personal preference ?

I always think of it like salt -season to taste. Not too much is usually right

Generally, you don’t add wasabi to sushi - nigiri, maki, or gunkanmaki (the “battleship roll” like how uni or ikura are often served). There is already wasabi between the rice and topping / filling.

You add soy to sushi that isn’t already garnished with a sauce (EDIT: e.g. a soy-like sauce, yuzu and salt, yuzukosho, even some marinated grilled items, etc.). You dip it fish-side down - try not to get the soy on the rice. You can get a corner and slightly roll it to do a light coat of soy. That’s why eating sushi with hands is preferred, because you almost always eat it fish-side down, anyway, and such a maneuver can be difficult with chopsticks. If it has very delicate garnishes on top, that would fall over if turned, or if it’s cooked - e.g. a broiled piece of saltwater eel - you can eat it with rice touching the tongue first. Generally, you’d rather err on the side of caution with a less soy rather than excess soy.

At many places, however, the sushi may come sauced already by the sushi chef.

If you want to add soy to something like a gunkanmaki, don’t dip the rice. Rather, the better way is to take something like a piece of ginger with your chopsticks, brush it with soy, then brush the topping with it. This really only applies to undressed uni or handrolls, however. Ikura usually has a marinade, meaning no extra soy is needed.

You do add wasabi and soy to sashimi, however. Note: real wasabi tends to be milder than the fake wasabi. So, you can use a little more if it’s real wasabi, especially if it’s Japanese, e.g. Shizuoka. Fresh wasabi from California is “hotter” and less sweet than Japanese fresh wasabi, typically.

It’s somewhat personal preference, but some practices will ruin the balance of the sushi or drown out the best flavors (e.g. dipping the rice, adding extra wasabi to sushi, etc.)

13 Likes

You just blew my mind

2 Likes

HI @BradFord,

Great post and info, thanks. :slight_smile: One small note on your note above: We’ve had some sushi chefs tell us not to add anything on pieces that don’t have soy-like sauce (e.g., they grated some type of sea salt on top).

1 Like

I know!

Oh yes, forgot about that. Things with a garnish like yuzu and salt don’t also need soy.

2 Likes

Yah… I’ve been asking chefs if I should or shouldn’t on the pieces that don’t noticeably have sauce or finishing salt.

Shhh… but I like that about Sugarfish. Even the waitresses tell you - without being asked - which pieces you should or shouldn’t sauce. Great for school.

1 Like