Sydney solo

I know FTC isn’t exactly a hotbed for discussion of dining in Australia but I’m giving it a shot. I will be in Sydney solo for a week later this month. My first time ever in Australia and I’m very excited. I’m staying in an apartment in Darlinghurst so I’ll have a full kitchen and will probably do breakfasts “at home,” but I’m looking forward to exploring for lunches and dinners. Any favourites you all would like to share? Very broad question I know. For more specifics - I don’t eat fish or shellfish, do eat some meat but I’m not big on heavy meaty dishes (or big heavy food generally). Love all vegetables. Italian, Asian, Middle Eastern, farm to table (for lack of a better word) are all good. When I’m traveling solo, i tend to like buzzy places where I can have dinner at the bar or maybe a communal table. Not a cocktail drinker but I do enjoy a good by the glass wine list. Open as to price range - willing to splurge at least once or twice, but not every meal. Thanks!

Admittedly, it’s been a while since I was last Down Under, but I still vividly recall the delicious Pie N’ Peas from Harry’s Cafe de Wheels at Woolloomooloo Bay. Come to think of it, pretty much all the Aussie pies were fantastic.

Another fine casual meal I recall was at Bondi Icebergs. Fine dining-wise, Tetsuya’s was quite good as a splurge experience. Enjoy! Hope you like vegemite more than I did!

1 Like

Thanks J_L! I’m really looking forward to it (well maybe not the vegemite). And first I’m off to surf camp in Bali :surfing_man:.

In Bali: Go for lunch at Ibu Oka in Ubud. Line up at 11AM for some of the best babi guling on earth.

Man, I loved dining at Tetsuya’s. . .I still dream of his trout that was sublime.
Great chef and soul…

I like Sailor Thai, Lord Nelson’s Pub, Fortune of War pub, Sean’s Panaroma in Bondi Beach…
Are you going to Melbourne?
It’s my fave city in world…

You’ll be near Bill’s. That’s a great place for breakfast. Feels like eating at your kitchen table. Or what you want your kitchen table to be.
I enjoyed all my meals at Longrain.
Man do I wish Universal was still there. One of my all time best meals. Sadness.
It’s been awhile, but I recall feeling good about my meal at Pilu.

Thanks @frommtron. I’ve been back home for two months now but I’m definitely plotting a return trip to Sydney. Loved it there. I’ve been meaning to write up a report of my trip but life (in the form of a family crisis, a new job, and foot surgery) got in the way. Here’s a brief response I wrote for a friend who was going there with her family last month:

With the caveat that I tend to frequent places most people would describe (with disdain or otherwise) as hipster restaurants, I really liked: Johnny Fishbone ( johnnyfisbone.com.au ); Riley Street Garage ( parlourgroup.com.au ); Lucio Pizzeria ( luciopizzeria.com.au ); Dear Sainte Eloise (dearsainteeloise.com - more of a wine bar with some food than a full restaurant but charming with really interesting wines). Also there seems to be at least one good to great bakery or gelato shop (or both) every couple blocks. It’s a good thing I walked 5-10 miles every day.

2 Likes

Gah! Got caught not looking at the last post date.
Glad you had a nice trip!

1 Like