Taco Recommendations?

I’m coming to LA next week and want to try some authentic tacos (al pastor, lengua, carne asada, etc.) Not really a taco expert so I’d love your suggestions! I’m also open to mariscos places or fusion.

3 Likes

Taco Leo’s Al Pastor. $1 each and open till 3am. Corner of LaBrea and (correction) Venice Blvd, Los Angeles…behind Union 76 gas station. They make me happy.

And Ricky’s Fish Tacos. Wednesday-Sunday 11am-4pm East Hollywood. Wonderful…

http://instagram.com/rickysfishtacos Facebook

3 Likes

LA’s own taco savant has done the work for you.

2 Likes

Ricky’s
Leo’s,
Guisado’s
Revolutionario
Anaya (asada)

done deal

Actually, Tacos Leo is at the NW corner of La Brea and VENICE. The El Chato Taco Truck is at the corner of La Brea and Olympic. Both are very good though so ya can’t go wrong!!

Yeah, my personal best taco recs would be the al pastor taco at Tacos Leo and Ricky’s Fish Taco.

2 Likes

that taco thread is fabulous but may be daunting if you aren’t familiar with LA. Just to throw out a couple of recommendations (many of which are mentioned above):

Leo’s or La Guera or El Flamin’ Taco echo park (which I think belongs right up there) for al pastor
Mexicali or Tire Shop Taqueria or La Carreta (from the other thread) for asada
Ricky’s or Mariscos Jalisco for fish & shrimp
El Momo or Villa Moreliana for carnitas
Guisados for stewed tacos
Revolutionario or Kogi or Guerrilla Tacos for outside the box/wild card tacos (north african, korean, michelin-quality, respectively)

3 Likes

Guerrilla Taco’s

8 Likes

Guisado’s sampler

7 Likes

Hi @wienermobile,

Nice. What’s the 3rd pic from Guerilla? Some kind of Torta? How was it? :slight_smile:

It was an artichoke and egg torta and was amazing…

Kogi will be opening it’s brick and mortar in West LA on Overland in just a couple weeks.
Kogi Taqueria
3500 Overland Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90034

1 Like

The taco’s are okay but I really wish he would bring Chego back to the westside!

1 Like

FWIW, I enjoy Kogi a lot more now than I did 5 years ago or whenever they first popped up onto the scene. I no longer understand the hate, given the minimal lines these days.

Head over to Alibi Room in Mar Vista, pal. They serve a couple Chego bowls.

Last time I was at Leo’s, it was not what it used to be, maybe because it was 4:30 in the afternoon but come on Leo! No Mexicali Taco on the list, or Mariscos Jalisco?

no trompo = not leo’s. 4:30p is way too early to eat at Leo’s!

1 Like

I did not know that, thanks for the heads up, I haven’t been to the Alibi room in a while.

I think I am liking El Chato on Olympic & LaBrea for Al Pastor these days!

My 1 and only experience @ El Chato consisted of watching them cut the meat off the trompo onto a holding bin, and then watching them griddle al pastor meat from said holding bin for my tacos. WTF?