Tacolandia 2017

La Cahua Del Yeyo
https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/379654025/la-cahua-del-yeyo/

Another from Mexico vendor. That tuna fin taco looks pretty good.

Tacos Kokopelli

http://kokopelli.mx

Another

This is a cool thing you’re doing. Most would keep their spots secret in hopes of keeping the line shorter. So in light of your generosity, I’ll share too. d.h. is really excited about Zamora Bros.

:zipper_mouth_face:

I wonder if they will be grouped together, or if we will just have to bounce around searching for the Mexican spots…

SPLIT THIS TOPIC 2 HOURS AGO
9 posts were split to a new topic: [Quarantine] OT discussion in Tacolandia

Sorry, you don’t have access to that topic!

2 Likes

We were being naughty again.

1 Like

Did we get put in timeout?

How were we being naughty?

I’ll say it again… :zipper_mouth_face:.

:poop:

1 Like

Meh

Went to Tire Shop afterwards to unf*ck the meh.

I’ll post Tacolandia pics later…

1 Like

La Guerrerense

Kokopelli. Halibut Ceviche with Squid Ink.

Both of the above had a variety of unique salsas. I appreciated both for not doing something basic. More on that later.

Chori-Man. Excellent, bright and herby.

Lots of pork. Not that it was a bad thing. But got kinda boring. You guys would have been disappointed with Chichen Itza and Guerrilla. You guessed it. Both some type of braised pork. The event is fun! But if you were to judge the food I think a lot of my fellow FTC’ers would be disappointed. Despite the big names, they are not putting out the best Taco and product. I understand they have to feed hundreds of people. Something has to give. I get it, pork probably holds up better than other proteins.

The Mexican vendors were the best I sampled.

This is not going to sway me from future visits to Chichen, Guerrilla, and Coni.

Taco Mell was suprisingly good in a way. Sonoratown was solid but no where close to Tire Shop or Los Poblanos. That Jarritos Cola hit the spot.

Ragtop Ferns BBQ had the most flavorful pork, it was pulled pork. Didn’t get to hit up my fav El Momo.

I’d probably go again because it was a good time but I wouldn’t be mad if I missed it.

2 Likes

El Momo won Best In Show.

1 Like

Was it just too many vendors, and no longer the high bar it once was?

Cuz it felt a little like that last year.

I think it’s a little of everything - not quite the high bar as years past and also just too many people now. The crowd’s probably doubled in the last 2 years, and when so many of the best vendors draw such huge lines and run out so early, it’s impossible to get to everything you want to get to.

I got to go last minute thanks to @set0312. Arrived about halfway into the event, and already so many stalls were “sold out.” So I ended up trying to go to as many out of town stalls as possible, then filled up the rest of my belly with local places whose lines weren’t too terrible. Unfortunately, Guerrerense and Kokopelli (two of my favorites from a couple years ago) and Cahua Del Yeyo were already done for the day. Seemed like there were fewer stalls from Mexico compared to the last couple years maybe?

Luckily got to try Finca Altozano, one of Javier Plascencia’s restaurants in Baja and my favorite taco of Tacolandia. He made a crispy taco filled w/ a beef brisket birria, topped with pinto beans, pickled onions, and fresh greens. He also served a small cup of the stewing liquid, which was intensely thick and beefy. In hindsight, I should’ve just gotten back in line for a couple more!

Other favorites:

• Troika’s smoked marlin quesadilla with gouda - with a strong fishy (in a good way) taste of the marlin complemented by the creaminess of the cheese. Troika’s a gourmet food truck in Valle De Guadalupe in Baja, operated by the restaurant Corazon de Tierra. The most interesting taco of the event for sure.
  • El Coraloense’s taco of tender halibut topped with chicharron.
  • Chef Priscilla Curiel (I think she has a restaurant in San Diego) served a carnitas taco with chicharron and an amazingly tart tomatillo salsa that brightened the rich, fatty pork.

Also enjoyed Mariscos Jalisco (taco de camaron), Colonia Tacos Guisados (tasty fried cauliflower), Las Molenderas (chicken mole negro), and Sonoratown (carne asada).

Sorry I didn’t get pictures - trying to make up for lost time. Thanks again to @set0312 for the tix!

7 Likes

Cahua Del Yoyo Sting Ray Taco

La Guerrerense Octopus Taco

4 Likes

Hi @glazedonut

So glad @set0312’s tix went to YOU! Nice report!

[quote=“glazedonut, post:64, topic:5358”] Finca Altozano, one of Javier Plascencia’s restaurants in Baja and my favorite taco of Tacolandia. He made a crispy taco filled w/ a beef brisket birria, topped with pinto beans, pickled onions, and fresh greens. He also served a small cup of the stewing liquid,
[/quote]Wow… I missed that. Yes, you should have gotten back in line :yum:.

[quote=“glazedonut, post:64, topic:5358”]
Mariscos Jalisco (taco de camaron)
[/quote]My husband had about five of those.

2 Likes

Of course, glad somebody was able to use the tickets!

That smoked marlin quesadilla sounds pretty damn good, how’d it compare to the marlin tacos at Coni’s? And based on all these posts, it seems long I need to make a roadtrip down to Baja…

2 Likes

This was our first time, so we don’t have a point of reference, but I’d have to say we did alright with VIP tickets, got there right at 3:00, eating by 3:20:

La Guerrerense: 1st stop. Ceviche and Pulpo, lots of salsas to try (so great)
Mariscos Jalisco: shrimp tacos dorados x3 (no line)
Tacos Kokopelli: Ceviche and Pulpo, lots of salsas to try (same as Guerrerense, but much less bright flavor)
Corazon Cocina: Fried Cauliflower tacos and Ceviche (really more of a poke)
La Cahua del Yeyo: Stewed marlin (not great actually)
Troika Tacos: Smoked marlin with gouda, surprisingly good
Cena Vegan: authentically fake pork and beef tacos, not as bad as you’d think
El Coraloense: Halibut (just okay)
Colonia Tacos Guisados: Fried cauliflower (better than Corazon Cocina)
Desserts (lame… not worth mentioning) and 2 free drinks (Golden Road IPA) in the VIP lounge area

15 tacos, dessert, and drinks Home by 5:15.

2 Likes

Very concise.